Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in a long day yesterday on the Grand. Covered a lot of water and technique varied between plugging and back bouncing spawn. One fish to show for. A male of around 8 or 9 pounds that came off of a port side planer board in 8fow. Somehow our venison barbacoa burritos over the little buddy survived the battle between the commotion of three in the boat and clearing rods. I have never witnessed a steelhead airborne out of 33 degree water but watched it happen yesterday about 4 different times. Water up a tad still from normal flow rate and visibility was around 2.5 ft. The fish came during the brightest part of the day as most of it was pretty gloomy. Hot pink was the winning color. May try further up the system on the next trip as the last few have been tough out there.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Way to tough it out through the day and pick up a nice fish. The river has a tight grip on the steelhead lately and not giving em up.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hard to double or triple when ya pull other rods! Nice fish though. You might try metallic plugs. There's a reason they're called Steelhead.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metallic plugs are typically my go to. Metallic perch being a personal favorite of mine and takes most fish on Grand for me. I mix up the flat colors with the stained water and cloudy conditions often. We ran metallic patterns along with the flat colors all day yesterday. Three of the rods out of the 6 had to be pulled as the fish crossed lines. Hard to battle a steelhead with lines and rods tangled.
But thanks for your advice.
Hard to double or triple when ya pull other rods! Nice fish though. You might try metallic plugs. There's a reason they're called Steelhead.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Metallic plugs are typically my go to. Metallic perch being a personal favorite of mine and takes most fish on Grand for me. I mix up the flat colors with the stained water and cloudy conditions often. We ran metallic patterns along with the flat colors all day yesterday. Three of the rods out of the 6 had to be pulled as the fish crossed lines. Hard to battle a steelhead with lines and rods tangled.
But thanks for your advice.
I understand that, however learning to move rods accordingly pays dividends. I've never completed a triple, though I've had two occur. Lots of doubles, and the occasional fuster cluck...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Can’t catch fish that are not there... Numbers are down somehow, someway. Fishing has been too slow the past 3-4 years

Reactions: Swampbuckster

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hear that now and then, then hear of 27 fish days...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I understand that, however learning to move rods accordingly pays dividends. I've never completed a triple, though I've had two occur. Lots of doubles, and the occasional fuster cluck...
been there done that,( i fish alone in a boat) about 10 years ago i had 3 on at once, twice, on bait, n i also failed to land them all, what we went through i would call, a chinese fire drill. :)

Can’t catch fish that are not there... Numbers are down somehow, someway. Fishing has been too slow the past 3-4 years
i don't know if i would say it's been too slow,, not as many fish, yes, but not slow,, i had to cover more water to find fewer fish but they were there n bigger, i had very few days where i had no hook up's ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the poster said the water was 33 degree's it was 35 here,,,,,, i musta been in a hot spot,,
;)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Something about the color white also. Probably one of my best steelhead and salmon colors hands down.
30 + years ago I ran a lot of white/bone/pearl with metallic plugs as they were included with the boat and gear I bought. I was not convinced by takes/hookups/in the boat ratios with only white plugs, however they did occasionally take a fish or two.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Landed and lost a fish on white this morning. Maybe does better on some rivers than others but white has worked on every river I’ve fished. Pictures are from same day, not today’s fish View attachment 620183 View attachment 620185
If that is what you call white? It looks more pearl/wonder bread!.... Wonder bread has taken many thousands of fish...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
White, white and pearl, all pretty close my friend. Actually that was two different lures same day. Had two other steelhead on that day one destroyed hooks so changed lure. Lately I’ve been enjoying spinners and love that metallic flash on the blades. I’m slowly dumping treble hooks for single hooks just haven’t experimented with crank style lure yet. Any input, I see guys running bead chain and sort but not sure how far I go with it besides spinners yet.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Not really. They all perform differently when used in patterns. Switch purple for blue and don't get bit. Switch white for Pearl, don't get bit.
Siwash/single hooks result in more fish in the boat per hook up, however they result in fewer takes/hookups.
Some Provinces have banned them because of higher fish mortality particularly with immature fish as well.

The treble balances nicely with the profile, and you can run light wire hooks allowing for better penetration and they don't cause havoc with a plugs/spinners balance.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fished a bit higher on the Grand yesterday with similar results. Hooked a real nice and fat hen on same pattern, Glitter Pink, and lost the fish under minimal pressure as the leader line broke just above the duolock. The fish did roll a bit upon retrieval and perhaps severed the line with its teeth. But the more likely scenario was we failed to stay on top of leader checkups and knicked the line on something. No matter what happened, it was very depressing watching her break off 8' away from the starboard side of the boat, suspending in the current 10" below the surface for a few seconds and work her way back down into the dark abyss beneath. It's a tough day any day winter steelheading in such a large river system dozens of miles upriver from the lake and to have something like that happen is truly heart breaking. Works well for the tale of the one that got away. Until next time...:)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Fished a bit higher on the Grand yesterday with similar results. Hooked a real nice and fat hen on same pattern, Glitter Pink, and lost the fish under minimal pressure as the leader line broke just above the duolock. The fish did roll a bit upon retrieval and perhaps severed the line with its teeth. But the more likely scenario was we failed to stay on top of leader checkups and knicked the line on something. No matter what happened, it was very depressing watching her break off 8' away from the starboard side of the boat, suspending in the current 10" below the surface for a few seconds and work her way back down into the dark abyss beneath. It's a tough day any day winter steelheading in such a large river system dozens of miles upriver from the lake and to have something like that happen is truly heart breaking. Works well for the tale of the one that got away. Until next time...:)
Sometimes the ones that get away are the best stories/memories! I re - tie after every fish, unless it's a skipper that came right in. When the fish of a lifetime comes to play, ya need to be ready!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It's a grind no doubt, I fished it today beneath one of the dams and also in an area I know that has a couple holes that look good . Also hit a tributary. In total fished 7am to 4pm no bites no sign. However did not see another soul all day on the water, did not injure myself and only lost 1 plug.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sometimes the ones that get away are the best stories/memories! I re - tie after every fish, unless it's a skipper that came right in. When the fish of a lifetime comes to play, ya need to be ready!
You're so right
Sometimes have a habit of getting complacent but then stuff like that happens gets you right back in check!

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
glad ya got out Sb n tfb, have only seen 2 boats in the last 10 days. been out a few times, since the temps have been below freezing, ( averaging 3/4 fish per trip),, still got my boat in the water, been b n b, the motor i(blowing the water out of the motor, n putting a g bag over the lower unit, n lowering it back down) its does work for me,,, n a way, with the weather thats coming i wish mother nature would make up her mind n freeze me out , or let the river flow, ps. the last 2 out of 3 fish came on a mashed up minnow, dead sticking

1 - 20 of 266 Posts