Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After one of the strangest and slowest seasons on the eastside, the cold snap finally brought down the flight Mallards. I hunted solo on Wednesday and got everything but one oddball. I did have 2 Teal buzz the dekes (twice) while talking on the phone…they get you every time. I should have had my geese easily as with one occasion I pulled a single out of a flock of 30 that was a mile high. He broke, came straight down, feet out in my Mallard dekes only to miss him at 20 yards (yes, 20 yards is what I said:rant:).

Thursday I brought Bogey with me. For the first hour not a thing was in the air. He did notice a few birds working an open water pocket amongst the ice way out. So he threw on his snow camo and starting walking a good mile with 3 floaters and 3 full bodies... I stayed in the cattails because I had my dog with me. To make a long story short, he scratched out his mallards and black as did I. He walked so far out that I wasn’t even hearing him shoot.

Friday was one of those days where the stars aligned. Bogey & I tagged out early with a full limit that included our oddballs (Teal).

Saturday brought many changes in the weather as many of you know. It was 25 degrees with 25 mph southwesterlys & snow. Bite Me Too, Bogey, and I filled our tag with everything but 2 oddballs (and we did see a few). BMT got a beautiful Michigan Sprig that he’ll be mounting.

On Sunday Bogey took the day off and he was replaced with my brother Mud Stomper (who had overslept his alarm the day before due to the hair of the dog). Saturday was considered rough, but Sunday was brutal. The day started out at 15 degrees and ended for us at 10am at 19 degrees. These temps were backed with a steady 25 mph NW wind. We tagged out on Mallards and I got another gorgeous Pintail. We should have had our Blacks for sure but Jeff was too busy lying on his back.:lol:

It was a great way to end the season and now owe my family some due time…

The cattails are sure in bloom!

Limit with teal

My son grew attached to this one....

BMT Sprig

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

My Sprig...the hole in the back occurred when it smacked the ice...

The Motley Crew

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice pics! I like that set up on the ice...We thought about doing the same thing but the ice was iffy...

·
Registered
793 Posts
BMT got a beautiful Michigan Sprig that he’ll be mounting.
Actually, Trippin and I doubled on the Pintail, but I ran out there on the retrieve like a puppy going after a cookie on the floor....:lol:

Couldn't wait to see it as it looked beautiful in the air. Low and behold- one magic BB hit it in the neck (the skinniest part of a Pintail) and there weren't any other imperfections...... I asked Trippin if he wanted to go Rock/ Paper/ Scissors and he said "no- just get the damn thing mounted!" So, I did:D

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
93 Posts
What a great last 1/3 of the season! In my opinion the season dates were perfect this year. I've said it before, but I would much rather break ice with the chance to shoot full plummage greenheads than swat masquitos and use all the vision I have left to ID a drake or hen. Here's to another season in the books and good luck to everyone in the late season!

BMT, your lucky my gun was frozen when the sprig flew over or I would have stake in that bird too!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmmm...... My phone must of been off or broken those days......:lol::evil::cwm27:........

That's OK, Bogey and I still have an Ace up our sleeve that we WILL utilize!!!!! If it does'nt freeze up any more.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm...... My phone must of been off or broken those days......:lol::evil::cwm27:........

That's OK, Bogey and I still have an Ace up our sleeve that we WILL utilize!!!!! If it does'nt freeze up any more.
If I remember right, someone was playing Santa those days:lol:. And as for your Ace.... well, they're currently ice fishing there:yikes:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts