Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The low for me was finally accepting the fact that I could no longer pull back my compound. High point was using a crossbow to take my first whitetail and only 2nd deer in 46 years.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Highs: 1) Spending lots of 1:1 time in the field with my boys. Being part of successful deer and turkey hunts with them. 2) Watching a 145” buck come out of the hinge cuts you spent your winter making, trying to improve your woods. Then your son shooting it 3 mins later at 15 yards. 3) Getting out of stand and stalking the buck I killed this year with my bow.

Lows: 1) Not being able to celebrate and share successes with my parents(boys grandparents) like normal due to COVID. 2) Watching in horror as the buck I had shot, which I knew was hit back in liver, got got up and ran off. This was AFTER I had called my wife excited and told her I had found him right where I watched him bed and after waiting 6 hours to track him. I stepped on bottom strand of barb wire fence, with him literally 8 feet away on other side and he rose his head which was buried in swamp grass and took off. I was able to recover him late that night to add to a heck of a story, but it was about as low as you could get for the hours in between.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
My high point started at legal shooting time on Oct 1st, 2020 and my low point began at last legal shooting time tonight, Jan 1st, 2021. Everything in between, eventful or not, was special in it's own way, and the reason I hunt.

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
The high for me was taking a buck in the Yoop. I told myself that I would shoot the first legal buck up there this season as I was tired of tag soup from passing ones like him in the past. I really am grateful for the hunt and the memory. Because unfortunately the low is that my Dad really struggled up there this year and it was probably his last year hunting. It may have been my last time hunting up there because it’s a place that me and my Dad loved to hunt and without him it won’t be the same.

·
Registered
891 Posts
High is enjoying my hunting seasons with my grandsons. Low is not having more time to enjoy hunting with my grandsons.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My low point was knee surgery 2nd week of October. Missed much of bow season.
I did manage to get the bow out and have a couple great hunts in November before gun season. Had a chance at nice one, but that worked out in the bucks favor.
High point of my season was getting a text from my brother, Big Buck Down! Helping your younger brother load a 150" whitetail in the back of his truck should put a smile on anyone's face.
No buck for me this year, but deer season was the best part of 2020.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Highlight was a fantastic week in Iowa with my son. Even though we ended up empty handed we had a blast. Lowlight was finding out I had zero enthusiasm to hunt here after I got back from Iowa. I’ll be over it by October

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nothing was really a highlight this season. Definite low light was my dad passing on opening morning of the firearm season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was able to spend more time in the woods this year and sharing in the LFTS with everyone. Low was also losing a couple of very close hunting friends. Sorry Trucker to hear of your dad. God bless you and your family. God bless you all, and thanks for another year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Low...having to cancel Deer Camp due to one of my nephew’s coming down with Covid a couple of days before camp. The other nephew coming down with it several days later. It was the one thing we were all looking forward to with everything that has gone on this year.

Highs...after getting back into hunting several years ago with Crossbow. My nephew told me I had to get into bow hunting. On October 24th, harvesting a great buck in my first season bow hunting at 60 years old. What a rush. And, LFTS becoming a part of my hunting day.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Low - They need to find a way to make Fall longer. Maybe make the year 15 months, and 12 of them are Fall so there is no overlap between Grouse and Woodcock Season, Deer Season, Duck Season, and Trapping Season, not to mention trying to sneak some fishing in. Never enough time to enjoy all the opportunities we have for our Fall season.

High - I don't hunt for meat or antlers anymore, the rare little moments where you get to watch Nature do her thing are plenty enough excitement for me. Watching a Red Tail Hawk pick a Mouse out of a field, seeing a Mink or Weasel snake his way along a creek, having a group of Chickadees settle on a branch near you, Even just silence in the falling snow, they all bring me great enjoyment and are the reason I spend as much time outdoors as I can. I'm easily entertained out there.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts