Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news first, I seen my first deer of the season tonight. Nice buck looked like 8 at least maybe more, good body size too. Now for the bad news, either made a bad shot on him or hit some brush that I didn't see between me and him. Either way it was a definate gut shot. Had some white hair and what looked like stomach matter around my arrow. Think I heard him go down but not sure if he crashed or crashed through some brush. Did find some decent red blood about 10 yards from where the arrow was stuck in the ground. Gonna let him lay for the night and pray that I can recover him in the morning. I am excited and dissappointed all at the same time. There is no worse feeling in the world then the feeling you get when you don't make a clean shot and the animal goes through more suffering then it should. I will post the results of tomorrows tracking.

Dan

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Good luck man. You already made the correct choice waiting. Go slow tomorrow mark the trail. Dont get discouraged just take your time you will find him.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
jawbreaker,
If you had some red blood you may have gotten the liver too. What kind of angle was he at? How far from the stand? If you did clip the liver, he'll definitely be going down tonight. Good move to be safe though and wait it out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Set out to track my deer this morning at 8 am after a completely sleepless night of reliving the shot over and over and over. Deer was found at around 8:45 am. It was a better hit then I thought. Entry wound was a couple of inches behind the shoulder mid way down the body, he was quartered towards me more then I thought and the exit wound was low in the belly. Very little blood to follow only found about 10 spots of blood. Last couple spots were following a run way that lead out into an open grass field. Followed the run way to the field and found the deer about 20 yards into the field. I am sure glad I didn't go after it last night. Tenderloins on the menu, mmmmmmmm.

Dan

·
Administrator
17,424 Posts
Congrats on your deer! I know how hard it is to wait like that. and also know what a relief it is to recover that deer. <----<<<

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Great Job! You did the right thing. It takes experience, patience, and maturity to do what you did and you have been rewarded for your efforts. Congrats!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is at the butcher this morning before coming to work at 11:30. Personal days are so nice to have. Thought it was an eight point last night, but ended up being a six point with 4 points on the side I got a look at and 2 on the other side. Guessing on weight he was probably around 130 or 140 pounds.

Dan

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Glad to hear it! Congratulations.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why would you shoot at a deer quartering towards you with a bow? That to me just seems irresponsible. Now I know there are circumstances where it moved as you shot or something but I have never heard anybody say they would take a quartering towards shot.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If your a good shot and can place your arrow with confidence its no different than shooting a gun, I have made more than a couple quartering towards me shots, heck Ive even placed shots in the neck, just practice and be confident. Let me add to date i have never not recovered a deer with my bow, and two with my gun. congrats jawbreaker.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I response to the quarting towards and taking the shot response, I took the shot because I misjudged the degree of angle on the deer. I believed it more broadside then the path of the arrow took through the deer. Now he may have turned some when I shot or I may have just misjudged his position when I shot not sure. I personally wouldn't take a quartering towards shot intentionally. I am however completely confident in my ability to place my shot where I want all the way out to 40 yards. Even with that confidence I still won't shoot over 25 yards.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts