Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not believe the amount of geese migrating south this evening. There was wave after wave. It is 1 am and I can still hear them outside my window.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I had a whining and crying thread earlier about having no locals. But it has been entirely correct. We have killed more geese then alot of people but instead of hunting at least 100 in a field we are hunting fields with 30. Not much room for error or time to adjust the spread.

I understand last night we had a full moon and a NW wind :) I am going out today to hunt a huge pasture pond by myself. For your sake you better hope some of them migrators stopped in my town. LOL

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
And not a day too late:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
15 geese ended their migration in our decoys this morning. Still seeing geese flying over the house.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Today was one of the most amazing migration days that I have seen, i didn not go five minutes without high flying birds.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Wow ! This one makes the books. I read the post on the migrators coming down at 1am ? So I walk outside about 7:30 ish ? I hear a honk, and look up, Waaaaaaay up ? I see three different flocks just using there wingtips riding the wind. Naaaaaaaa ! No way they can make it from the bridge in 6hrs to the Tri City's. But ? There they were....... Man they were approaching the oxygen height.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Saw 2 flocks of around 30 Snows with an odd Blue or two mixed in south of Battle Creek this afternoon looking to sit down someplace. Just didn't have time to follow 'em and see what was up. If it's them coming down in numbers the 22nd may be worth considering. Seen them this time of year before, never took one before late October though. Good number of little Honkers buzzing about as well.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yep. Just about every year around the 10th of September the molt migrants start returning draggin' down some of the canadian birds with 'em. Typically the next 2 weeks were some of the best goose hunting of the year, ya could only take two a day but the action was good and consistent. Then someone thought it would be a better idea to have the regular goose season coincide with duck season and we lost some three weeks of good goosin'. Now the masses of hunters hit the marshes and fields on the duck opener and not only educate the local mallards but the migrant geese already in the area within a few days. :( :(

A good conservation move by the DNR I would say, guys were starting to see more geese in their decoys while duck hunting because they weren't getting skybusted at everytime they turned a corner as the season was closed and started whining cause they couldn't shoot 'em. Now they won't have much of a chance of gettin' that close without bein' shot at (typically skybusted), at most public hunting areas. Maybe it'll push 'em to some of our private hunting spots there's always hope. :sad:

·
Registered
874 Posts
They are on there way down to you guys. Finally started seeing them up high and cruising on Sunday. Have seen probably 300-400 birds south bound since then, which is pretty good for a coniferous forest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts