Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
781 - 800 of 1093 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
So I just bought 2 Brad's super bait cut plugs. I also bought herring gel. Do I leave the foam in there and just put the gel in also. How much do you put in it? Also bought a fishhawk x4. Excited to install that and use it next time out

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
So I just bought 2 Brad's super bait cut plugs. I also bought herring gel. Do I leave the foam in there and just put the gel in also. How much do you put in it? Also bought a fishhawk x4. Excited to install that and use it next time out
Wow! Lots of good stuff!! You put the scent on the foam inside until you loose it, then I just put the gel inside. You can also remove the foam & fill it with tuna, sardines or a fresh cut of alewife. You should read up on rigging your hooks on those, I put a treble in the center(hook garage) as well as the trailer hook. I can put some pics of my rigs up tomorrow when I get home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You will love having the probe, if you have never had one, once you get used to it. I will, but do not like fishing without one. The charter boat I worked on in the mid 80's was one of the first to have one of the subtrolls, been using one ever since.

If you use tuna or sardines get the packs in oil not spring water. The oil leaves the sent trail, I don't use them a bunch but my buddy has good results with tuna in garlic and oil. Good luck.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wednesday AM report.... 3/4. Sounds better than it was, two 5 pound Kings and one micro king we sent back. He was hitchhiking on a rigger for who knows how long...wasn't legal size. Had a nice rip on the 300 Copper but came off as i grabbed the rod. All bites came from 1030-1130AM south of the pier in 150FOW just northwest of the hole. Marked consistent fish in one area. Blue Spotted Flasher with a Blue Dolphin Fly got one King, Bad Toad Spoon down 70 on a rigger, the other. Mag Green Hulk on the 300 Copper had the rip and wonderbread spoon down 60 got the micro King. Giving the AM a rest and heading out with the good luck charm in the PM tomorrow (my wife). Thinking of running south with the expected south winds and trolling north tomorrow evening.
Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the west coast central Pacific we used to toss the factory foam, which pretty much happened automatically since, well it just gets lost in the Malay... we found open cell "blue" foam performed excellent when scented🤤...
Check out this stuff:
Rolyan-16271 Extra Soft Splint Padding, Open Cell Foam Pad with Self Adhesive Back, 1/4" x 8" x 12"
Before going out we'd spend the evening cutting a bunch of thin strips and drop them into mason jars full of various scents. Canned sardine oil worked extremely well. We determined soaking the foam strips overnight made a huge difference. We tested this theory by checking if we could rinse away the scent - it basically becomes permanent when soaked for a longer period. We'd go out with like 100 strips and just keep changing 'em everitime a rig's brought in.

Having a bunch of strips pre-rigged cut down on time screwing around with little bottles of stink on a boat, and got the lines in with minimal pause between deployments.

The other thing is the swivel on Brad's left a bit to be desired. Now, CA reg's required barbless, so we were already changing out, which is a PITA but we lost less fish after choosing heavier quality ball-chain swivels.

I'm certain this would all apply in the Great Lake too;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We ended up 2 for 7 tonight. Lost decent king at net….had another break rigger line. One really nice trout. Bunch of sailboats with no lights in harbor.
Temp was 57 surface and 48*between 40 and 50
Down.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Well here I am again to bug you guys. A few of you know I am from the Detroit area and have a cabin in Manton. Been fishing walleyes, now it time to turn my attention north. I will be pulling my boat up in a few weeks and fishing out of Frankfort in August and GT bay after that. Cant really get out too much with not being retired yet (about 2 years until that happens!!) and I have 2 young grandchildren that I am getting into fishing but they are too little for the big lake.

Right now getting the boat ready, have 2 Cannon Digitrolls I am installing now, plus a new T/D for my Fishhawk. Going up tomorrow to work on my food plot and round up my salmon gear, see what I have and what I need.

Even though I have been fishing the area for years, I consider myself a newbie since I only can get out once or twice a year.

Just wanted to check in!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Well here I am again to bug you guys. A few of you know I am from the Detroit area and have a cabin in Manton. Been fishing walleyes, now it time to turn my attention north. I will be pulling my boat up in a few weeks and fishing out of Frankfort in August and GT bay after that. Cant really get out too much with not being retired yet (about 2 years until that happens!!) and I have 2 young grandchildren that I am getting into fishing but they are too little for the big lake.

Right now getting the boat ready, have 2 Cannon Digitrolls I am installing now, plus a new T/D for my Fishhawk. Going up tomorrow to work on my food plot and round up my salmon gear, see what I have and what I need.

Even though I have been fishing the area for years, I consider myself a newbie since I only can get out once or twice a year.

Just wanted to check in!

Thanks
Don’t forget to bring Homer23 with ya now & then!!

781 - 800 of 1093 Posts