Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another new year, and another new Frankfort thread! :)

Wishing much success in 2021 to all sportsman fishing in and around this port - blue water and harbor, pier fishers and waders.

Please post reports from Arcadia to Platte Bay.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yup. Legit 30 when it was netted, so 30 it is!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I’d have been forced to call it a 30. Sooo close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could be forced to, but then its a "falsified fish" and subject to being a "Fish Story"

I am proficeint at those and am a LEGEND...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I usually only measure, I do not even have scales in my boat. (A friend cringes cuz I do not) but no matter the size, Large, Medium, Small (But over the limit) I have something to eat.

OE

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I’d have been forced to call it a 30. Sooo close.

Notice the plastic wrapped around my kicker motor prop! I sucked up while I was fighting that fish & had to fire up the main!! 2 minutes later my other rigger rod takes off, had a double goin! Threw that rod in the holder & backed the drag off & went after the first fish, ended up landing both a little after dark!! 29.6 & 14. Awesome day!
3C05DC01-9848-4FA1-A297-D12E9D1E341E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You could be forced to, but then its a "falsified fish" and subject to being a "Fish Story"

I am proficeint at those and am a LEGEND...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I usually only measure, I do not even have scales in my boat. (A friend cringes cuz I do not) but no matter the size, Large, Medium, Small (But over the limit) I have something to eat.

OE
I have 3 scales in the boat. They are never the same. I wrestle with extrapolating an average, or taking the most reliable scale weight, or just using the heaviest weight.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Notice the plastic wrapped around my kicker motor prop! I sucked up while I was fighting that fish & had to fire up the main!! 2 minutes later my other rigger rod takes off, had a double goin! Threw that rod in the holder & backed the drag off & went after the first fish, ended up landing both a little after dark!! 29.6 & 14. Awesome day! View attachment 631601
One of the biggest fish I caught this year was a Walmart Bag. It was like reeling in a trolling bag. I was delighted.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
One of the biggest fish I caught this year was a Walmart Bag. It was like reeling in a trolling bag. I was delighted.

Weight? Length? Girth?

Down Rigger? Long Line, Lead Core, Diver?

Geez, you think he'd fill in the blanks for those of us not fishing and working on our boats.

;)

OE

·
Registered
317 Posts
Weight? Length? Girth?

Down Rigger? Long Line, Lead Core, Diver?

Geez, you think he'd fill in the blanks for those of us not fishing and working on our boats.

;)

OE
Great idea OE, for those of us anxiously waiting to get back out.
Let’s see some highlight (or lowlight) pics and the BS stories that go with them.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I got one!!
Unprotected launch, truck is a stick shift. Right after I winched it up & attached the safety chai a big wind/wave rolled in & picked up the back of my truck & pulled it into the water. As it was rolling by I did a Superman thru the window, grabbed first & 4x4 at the same time, let out the clutch & mashed the gas as the water hit the back window. Flew up the ramp with hundreds of gallons of water pouring out from everywhere & my boat balancing on the right side. Quite embarrassed but happy not to be in the water, I spent the next hour an a half jacking the boat up & shoving it over & back on the trailer! No damage but
7FC51780-1474-4E63-8056-F8DD555E3185.jpeg
My hair has been gray ever since. May 16 2020

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Um, Lets see, I was talking to a buddy aobut Wash Down Pumps.

Got home, form his house, took the clear coer off the Wash Down pump, checked it all out, put it back on.

Few days later I am at Erie, and boats filling withe water. was like WTF? Pulled te boat out, drained for what like seemded forever, look Yup, drain plug is in, take to bilge cover off,Looking and notive that the cover is not seated properly.

Later this fall, It was a toss up, the drain plug was in, but another guy checked it said, it needed a few more turns, but I also notice the Wash down pump cover was loose.

I mostly fought with leanring new elctronics this year, not much to report there....

OE

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great idea OE, for those of us anxiously waiting to get back out.
Let’s see some highlight (or lowlight) pics and the BS stories that go with them.
Just because you guys kill me most of the spring and summer reading your post while I'm stuck in NC - here is my report from YESTERDAY at Lake Jocassee, SC.

Fished from 7:30 - 11:30. Worked from Round House Point to the Rock Wall. Ended 3-6 after missing my first three - all three of those misses were nice fish: Caught two steelhead (rainbows) and a brown. Mini slide diver back 75 pulling a Silver Streak Mini Skittles took two including pic fish. 100 CU with a Jr. Streak Blue Berry Muffin had three hits and SS Black Screwball on a free slide was my other hit. That bait was on the first rigger I set and went off before I had the other rigger 10 down.

Lost two browns right behind the boat that were larger than this 4-6 including one that was well over 5. A 5# brown is a master angler fish in SC so it was a really good morning for me even if I didn't boat those two. We are having our best year on the "bigger" browns since we started fishing this lake in 2008. Can't seem to find these browns in Frankfort the last few years when we get there in late May.

And just so you feel like home, it was snowing here yesterday while on the water.

IMG_0589.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have 3 scales in the boat. They are never the same. I wrestle with extrapolating an average, or taking the most reliable scale weight, or just - - -

A man with 3 scales in the boat is a condemned fibber, no matter whut! Solve this little dilemma by going to the friendly meijer, and pick up a 20lb dumbell weight, then cart it over the meat deli guy and have him weigh it for you, to the nearest once. Over time, you might need to pick up another one that weighs a little off. Then later a third one a little more off. This way you only have one certified scale in the boat but your secret choice of proof weights to give the answer you need!
Haha, great fish and story, cheers!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts