Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the fishing in Frankfort?

I plan to be out there the week of July 29 - August 5 with several new anglers on board, possibly one from Germany. Hope to have a string of days with good conditions.

My normal routine is like everyone else: clear the pier arms at o-dark-thirty and have lines set just before the sky starts to lighten, on a north troll towards Point Bestie in 100-something feet of water.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It seems its been a little slow there for Brown's this year. Maybe it's just me. I'm ready for another trip though.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Nice chubby laker mbirdsley!
Thanks, he was a fatty for his size put up a decent fight. He came on a psycho perch spoon on three color ( which Matt says has been a good bait). One Cisco came on a brown trout rapala, other Cisco was another rapala. We just got done eating the laker for dinner. The other Cisco not pictured was a big one too.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thinking about heading there this weekend. Is anyone still catching browns? I want to put a few more in the boat before I switch to walleye.

Reactions: kroppe

·
Registered
267 Posts
Memorial Weekend report:

Based upon reports from the previous weekend and earlier in the week before the wind stirred things up, we started out front working out to 120 and down to the saddle and back without a touch. Dipped in to around the piers and lost a nice brown that hit right between the piers on a diver with a standard black screwball. Nothing after that. Did not see a boat take a fish all evening and most of the boats were in before 9:30. No fish at the cleaning station other than lake trout.

Saturday morning, we took a lap around the harbor and then worked north in about 20' of water and then worked out and down the bank without a touch. Pulled lines and ran 15 miles west to see if we could find a horizontal temp break. Trolled west for an hour and then turned back east. Nothing. Water was consistently about 46 plus/minus a half degree. Did see some 48-49 water on the run in.

After two trips of boat riding, we decided to run up to Platte Bay Saturday evening and fish lake trout. Four man limit on them in about two hours, then as we were pulling we had five more in that 10 minutes. We were working the bank at 20 FOW. Most of our fish were on a spoon pattern on lead core 2-3 (Halloween, Sodus Pt. Buckeye) colors and the best was Black Screwball on 150 cu, 7 color and mag BS on the rigger. Did take a couple on a set of bells and S/G but ended up pulling most of my lake trout stuff off and just running more spoons as that's what they seem to want.

Sunday morning we again tried to find some silver fish working from the pier heads out to 150 and then north from 5-6:30 without a touch. Ran back up into PB and were sorting through lake trout seeing if we could get six 10+ pounders in the box. We only had one of that size in 33 fish before the wind started to come up with the rain and we ran home. Again only two fish on a diver with dodger/sp. None on bells. The rest on spoons. UV NBK and UV Jager Bomb really took off when some of the other things slowed down mid morning.

Talked to a couple of people at the cleaning station had did have a couple of salmon Sunday morning. They were out front in about 200" FOW fishing 110 down with meat. I can wait for that type of fishing. We were working the top 30 for the most part in our silver fish program. Reports were very good for a mixed bag before that hard north blow, so it is just a matter of time before it sets up again.

Be back there at the start of July.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good work crappiemillion, keep putting the time in and you will be rewarded. I have done well in the 120 fow range, from the piers to Point Bestie. Give that a try next time.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Fished saturday night took 3 kings and got blown off by a huge storm.. white glow spinnie and glow green fly was good and white glow wonderbread spinnie with blue meat rig did good 3/5 on the water @6pm off @8 pm 135 down 200fow 2.5 at the lure 45 temp...g/L Mark

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fished Platte Bay Saturday Morning. Caught about 8 small Lake trout. All were in between 15 and 20 inches, couldn't find any size. Marked lots of fish and lots of bait.

kept 4 and all had 3 to 4 alewife in their stomach, which was about all they could hold.

Was in a small aluminum boat wasn't able to run many poles. Going to make the run with the big boat over 4th of July weekend. Marked a lot of suspended fish and bait so im thinking a decent amount of kings in there.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.