Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...have been challenging!

First was the winter-like snow covering 95% of my trapping area. Making sets in 3" - 5" of snow is not my idea of early-season luxury.

Still, a few critters found their way into my traps, so at least I got to do a little skinning last night.

Then came the rains! It rained continuously throughout the night, making everything a mucky mess (but at least most of the snow is gone, now! :) )

Had to re-make 8 sets this morning, in a downpour, with a headlamp that kept getting covered by my hood, while rain poured down my plumbers crack as I stooped over. It seemed alot like work and I had to remind myself that this is what I do for fun! :evil:

Heres a few of the better pics from the last two mornings....

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
Northcountry said:
while rain poured down my plumbers crack as I stooped over.
I could've done without that info :lol:

Cool catches.

That first grey looks pissed!

Does that second grey have both feet in the trap?

What traps?

·
Registered
655 Posts
wow NC looks like things are working out for you....beautiful pictures too
keep up the good work....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Man I sure do like you sharing your trpline with us.....it was a long winter without your pictures and stories........thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I agree, everything today was MUCK! I had to remake a few sets and actually put a few new ones in. the rain gave a few sets a good aged look, i just hope that it doest get too cold and we have a bunch of frozen sets.

Your pictures as always are great NC. Cant wait to see a few more.

by the way, 36lbs is a great first coyote of the year, he's a beauty! I know the rain makes him look like he just left the salon but his coat sure does look sweet!

mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freepop,

First you insult my crack and then you want info, huh? :lol:

Yeah, that first grey wanted a piece of me in the worst way. They are convinced that 12-pounds of fox can kill 210-pounds of trapper...if they could just get past that darned chain.

4-coiled Duke #2's are my workhorse. Havent had the slightest failure with them, ever.

That yote was a 36-pound male (wieghed on digital scale) and tried his hardest to disassemble the trap or pull the Pogo. They were both rock solid. Notice zero foot damage on all three of those critters. Thats the norm...and all could have been released unharmed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Way to go Northcountry! I knew it wouldn't be long before you would be posting your pics again. Man, I sure did miss them in the off season. I'm off to check my traps in the muck as soon as I get out of work. Your pics inspire me and make it worth any hassle involved. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a bumbling amateur/moron I am impressed with the results of your "challenging" week. Please share a good week's results when you can so I can compare the two :) . Nice work and great pictures!
Thanks for sharing.
JP

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
What you dont like 3-5 inches of snow? I can't see the pics, for some reason the ones you put online will never show up when I am at work. Nice work on the critters!!! Wish they would lose this firewall so I could see them. My sets were all under water this morning, remade a few in the mud, what a pain!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
GREAT POST!!!!! Congrats on the early fur.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Nice Pics.

I'm Reeeeaaaallllyyy close to pulling my traps. It's gonna pour up here until next Monday and driving at $2.18 a gallon for no reason is useless.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Northcountry

Glad to see some predator pics. I'm going to wait till Nov 1st to put some traps in the ground. Hope the rain stops before then. Going to keep goose and duck hunting till then.

Griffonhound

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Griff,

I hear you on waiting. These animals are all blue, still. But my schedule is packed to the gills...and I trap for recreation and predator management primarily...not to wring out every last dollar at the fur sale. I will only be land trapping a few weeks this season, then switching to the water after the New Year. You guys who wait a couple of weeks, will be taking better fur than me....but todays yote was a fine specimen. The fox and coons are not so spectacular.

Does your Griffon hunt partridge and woodcock? I have been seeing TONS all summer and fall. Rarely does a day go by that I dont flush at least one...and sometimes ten or more. If you want to come up and hunt, drop me a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Great start NC!!! I plan to put out a few sets this weekend. The property that I took you to, now has quite a bit of fresh sign, and I have heard them barking & howling at dark the last couple of nights while bow hunting (real close). Keep the pics coming !!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres a couple more from this morning.....

I'm not going to keep posting these "routine" pics like I've done the past couple of years....just adds too much work and time. If I catch a "first" or something else unique, then I'll post it.

I got us started....its up to you guys now ;)

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Where are you at in the NW lower exactly, Northcountry?

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
No not at all. Just wondering.......wondering what I'm doing wrong mainly. The rain is killing me though. A county will do if you're still leary!:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts