Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Or just a class A hazmat suit. Why not while we're at it.
Because that would be overkill. If people just practiced good basic hygiene and worn masks the rate of re-infection would be less than 1 and the number of cases would be declining.

·
Registered
25,227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
Because that would be overkill. If people just practiced good basic hygiene and worn masks the rate of re-infection would be less than 1 and the number of cases would be declining.
That was my point. N95 and goggles. Heck we have a hard enough time with 2 layer cotton.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
My workplace made me wear an n95 while checking in employees. With my asthma this style of mask requires more effort to breath and made my asthma worse. Not to mention your face sweats, the nose bridge cuts in making it extremely uncomfortable and its laboursome to breath in for more then a few moments. If wearing your own underwear over your face stopped the pandemic Id do that over wearing an n95.

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
My workplace made me wear an n95 while checking in employees. With my asthma this style of mask requires more effort to breath and made my asthma worse. Not to mention your face sweats, the nose bridge cuts in making it extremely uncomfortable and its laboursome to breath in for more then a few moments. If wearing your own underwear over your face stopped the pandemic Id do that over wearing an n95.
Thats some funky halitosis you got there lol

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
Its a fact. If each infection results in transmission to less than 1 other person on average, the case number goes down. It doesn't need to be 100%. Just like a vaccine doesn't have to be 100%. Same thing.
Facts and study's on this virus are fluid and change most every day, have we learned enough in just one year on the transmission capability's of this virus to know that for sure? Fact of the matter is we are slowly learning the capability's of this virus one day at a time, but in the large scheme of things we know very little at this point. And to say that a mask alone could end the covid pandemic is a pipe dream.

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
Facts and study's on this virus are fluid and change most every day, have we learned enough in just one year on the transmission capability's of this virus to know that for sure? Fact of the matter is we are slowly learning the capability's of this virus one day at a time, but in the large scheme of things we know very little at this point. And to say that a mask alone could end the covid pandemic is a pipe dream.
It "could", IF it reduced the transmission rate to < 1.0. Same for all disease transmission. Whether it actually would reduce it that far is questionable, I agree. All I'm saying is it doesn't need to be 100% to end the pandemic. But the closer to 100%, the quicker it ends.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Opps! Was wrong on the date of the article, should have put my glass's on the first time I read it. LOL.
But the rest of my statement still stands, we knew all this (N-95 is best option) a year ago. ;)
Do you really believe that one style of mask alone could end the covid Pandemic as the thread title suggests?
In order for a mask to be a pandemic stopper it would have to be 100% effective. No doubt if everyone wore a N-95 mask it would slow the spread significantly, but a N-95 mask alone ending the pandemic, don't think so. - From the Frontlines: The Truth About Masks and COVID-19 | American Lung Association
What we know is that social distancing, wearing masks and washing our hands will reduce the instance of transmission. So, you have to ask yourself what is a pandemic? Is it based on the number of people infected?

If we had the ability to supply N95 masks to those who were unable to shelter in their homes. We may well have been looking at an endemic as opposed to the pandemic we are struggling to control now. I've worked in N95's, level A, level B and MOPP4. So, I know with training and a little self discipline most healthy people can function with these precautions. If you can't. Then you would have had to stay home (with full pay of course).

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
What we know is that social distancing, wearing masks and washing our hands will reduce the instance of transmission. So, you have to ask yourself what is a pandemic? Is it based on the number of people infected?

If we had the ability to supply N95 masks to those who were unable to shelter in their homes. We may well have been looking at an endemic as opposed to the pandemic we are struggling to control now. I've worked in N95's, level A, level B and MOPP4. So, I know with training and a little self discipline most healthy people can function with these precautions. If you can't. Then you would have had to stay home (with full pay of course).
You are wondering down a whole different path, and discussion topic. Good stuff but far from the original thread topic of a single mask ending the pandemic. .

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
It "could", IF it reduced the transmission rate to < 1.0. Same for all disease transmission. Whether it actually would reduce it that far is questionable, I agree. All I'm saying is it doesn't need to be 100% to end the pandemic. But the closer to 100%, the quicker it ends.
The use of the words "could" and "if" equate to we really do not know the true facts of a matter. ;)

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I still think busy gas pumps, door handles and money are all filthy. Mask alone wont stop the spread. Sanitized your mittens too.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Who would have thought that a simple face mask could end this whole freakin nightmare?
There's a whole lot of scientists and doctors and politicians that must be feeling pretty stupid right about now.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
You are wondering down a whole different path, and discussion topic. Good stuff but far from the original thread topic of a single mask ending the pandemic. .
The topic was the N95 mask and its potential impact on the Pandemic.
The use of the words "could" and "if" equate to we really do not know the true facts of a matter. ;)
No. They know how effective the masks are.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The topic was the N95 mask and its potential impact on the Pandemic.

No. They know how effective the masks are.
No, the topic was a mask could end the pandemic.
To think that a mask of any type could end the pandemic is just ridiculous.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.