Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
That looks awesome.
Well maybe but then again maybe not.

A couple folks asked for a full picture of my grouse gun.
Here is is.
Benlli M2, 20 Ga. 24" barrel. In my opinion, the ultimate grouse gun.
I can only guess the purpose of white over black Duct Tape on an orange shotgun is to differentiate it from other orange shotguns on gun racks at various shooting venues - skeet, sporting clays etc. so as to avoid someone inadvertently grabbing the wrong orange shotgun thinking it's theirs .

Hand Gesture Wood Thigh Jewellery

Now before you guys start jumping on poor ol' 9HP I'm not opposed to tape on firearms if it's functional. I have "skate board" type tape on all of my Hi-Powers :

Revolver Everyday carry Air gun Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

but certainly not on any of my shotguns :

Wood Branch Twig Trunk Woody plant

Why would I ? Why would anyone ?

9mm Hi-Power

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Looks like it's about to erupt all over some woodcock
Just curious - what's the gauge and choking on that guitar ? When hunting with it is a battery pack suggested or a long extension cord ? Given her dress , or lack thereof in your video I'd think she'd have a tough time in the briars and brambles of most grouse/woodcock covers :dizzy: and probably come back covered with a lot of tics. Just sayin'😉 .

9mm Hi-Power

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yeah I bet ruffed grouse feel soooo disrespected getting shot and killed with a taped shotgun. It is a way more sophisticated and elegant death for them to die from a boutique shotgun. Plus I heard the prettier the gun the more birds you kill!

Why don't you give it a rest 9mm HP.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Well maybe but then again maybe not.

I can only guess the purpose of white over black Duct Tape on an orange shotgun is to differentiate it from other orange shotguns on gun racks at various shooting venues - skeet, sporting clays etc. so as to avoid someone inadvertently grabbing the wrong orange shotgun thinking it's theirs .

View attachment 854398

Now before you guys start jumping on poor ol' 9HP I'm not opposed to tape on firearms if it's functional. I have "skate board" type tape on all of my Hi-Powers :

View attachment 854404

View attachment 854406

but certainly not on any of my shotguns :

View attachment 854413 .

Why would I ? Why would anyone ?

9mm Hi-Power
There is no tape on the gun.
This is a ceramic finish.
"Cerakoting"

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Even harder to remove .

9mm Hi-Power
Technology .
Blueing is outdated and not up with the times.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Technology .
Blueing is outdated and not up with the times.
If you're a responsible gun owner and learn to take care of your firearms you wouldn't be overly concerned with that sort of thing.

This photo of my Red Label was taken just about ten years ago last month and I had already owned it probably four or five years before that and it has been hunted hard .
Musical instrument Sleeve Tobacco Wood Ammunition

This is the receiver of my Remington M11 Sportsman that was built about 1936 - 86 years old . There is no reason to believe that this isn't the original finish - no beveling on the receiver or most important the screw heads "

Trigger Wood Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

Wood Hunting knife Plant Utility knife Knife

This is what class is all about - Fiddleback walnut on my 52 year old Krieghoff target shotgun and fiddleback walnut on what undoubtedly is an ungodly expensive violin:

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Stool Hardwood

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Wood

Take your shotgun to Guns Galore in Fenton and tell them how it's on the cutting edge of firearm technology and custom re-finished to look like some baggy panted R & R freak' s electric guitar and see how much they offer you for it.

It's about steel and walnut - not plastic and aluminum.

9mm Hi-Power

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you're a responsible gun owner and learn to take care of your firearms you wouldn't be overly concerned with that sort of thing.

This photo of my Red Label was taken just about ten years ago and I had already owned it probably four or five years before that and it has been hunted hard . View attachment 854618

This is the receiver of my Remington M11 Sportsman that was built about 1936. There is no reason to believe that this isn't the original finish - no beveling on the receiver or most important the screw heads "

View attachment 854619

View attachment 854620

This is what class is all about - Fiddleback walnut on my 52 year old Krieghoff target shotgun and fiddleback walnut on an ungodly expensive violin:

View attachment 854625

View attachment 854626

It's all about steel and walnut and not aluminum and plastic.

9mm Hi-Power

I've learned to take care of my sidearms, rifles and shotguns and not default to technology - plastic and aluminum - to do it for me. It's called learned responsibility.
I wish I could get away with using such weapons. I duck hunt around 30 days a year, from September goose teal skeeter hunts to red dawn geese. Including jump shooting and layout. I like the black guns. I had a camo, cost me geese when I leaned it on a cornstalk to move decoys, birds snuck in, couldn’t find it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Lol it's full of em. Grouse hunting is about fine guns and fine bourbon obviously, not quality time in the woods with good friends and great dogs hunting the king of game birds (note the sarcasm).

Everyone grouse hunts for different reasons and that's fine, I have no problem with it. What I do take issue with is when people look down on others for doing things differently.

Although I will say, the way I do it is the "right" way! 😁

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I wish I could get away with using such weapons. I duck hunt around 30 days a year, from September goose teal skeeter hunts to red dawn geese. Including jump shooting and layout. I like the black guns. I had a camo, cost me geese when I leaned it on a cornstalk to move decoys, birds snuck in, couldn’t find it.
There is much validity to your post but the OP was writing about his grouse gun. I assume you eventually found your shotgun. :confused1: .

9mm Hi-Power

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
So it’s not about seeing them first, shooting the first bird of the covey and then try to take out a second or third as they fly out? Is that not sporting enough? I at least used a passed down 16 ga sxs with a wood stock after spotting one over the weekend. But I’ve shot them with bows, pellet guns, hand guns, and 22s. Much easier to shoot them when they are still. They are a reliable bird fortunately. As in return two mornings in a row from a duck hunt, see the grouse on the stump. Day three park ahead of the stump, sneak attack and take out the stump grouse- I think that one was with steel shot and my black plastic Benelli Supernova. I don’t know if I’m doing it the right way but they all taste just as good in the end.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts