Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to research the effects its had on Wisconsin and how they handled it. Looks like they have CWD management units.. earn a buck tag by shooting a doe.

"Of course, the high antlerless kill is understandable since last year there were 28 earn-a-buck (EAB) deer management units (DMUs), in addition to the chronic wasting disease (CWD) units where hunters were required to shoot an antlerless deer in order to earn their buck tag. EAB tags could be filled either by bow or gun, but it seems many hunters decided to earn their buck during the archery season, which resulted in a high antlerless percentage."

http://www.wisconsinsportsmanmag.com/hunting/bowhunting-hunting/WI_0905_01/

Anyone find anything else on Wisconsins CWD breakout a few years ago?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ninja.

I was trying to look for more 1st hand accounts from hunters on what they felt it did to the deer herd. They dont have a website with a good hunting forum?
It will be interesting to see what they think it has done to their herd.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I tell you what it did, they dont have a herd!!. They killed off everything in the southern 3rd of the state. My future F-I-L lives there, and quit deer hunting 5 years ago after they had the slaughter. You can sit a whole season on prime ag land and never see a deer. Wisc DNR totally screwed themselves and are now trying to find ways to come up with money because they erradicated there best source of revenue.

I my self have been going there roughly 6 times a year for the past 5 years, and maybe seen 6 deer in that time frame. Not 6 deer a year, an average of a deer a year.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I can't speak for other portions of the state, but northern Wisconsin is absolutely CRAWLING with deer-they are EVERYWHERE.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
I tell you what it did, they dont have a herd!!. They killed off everything in the southern 3rd of the state. My future F-I-L lives there, and quit deer hunting 5 years ago after they had the slaughter. You can sit a whole season on prime ag land and never see a deer. Wisc DNR totally screwed themselves and are now trying to find ways to come up with money because they erradicated there best source of revenue.

I my self have been going there roughly 6 times a year for the past 5 years, and maybe seen 6 deer in that time frame. Not 6 deer a year, an average of a deer a year.
If they have eradicated the deer herd maybe you can explain how Wisconsin is managing to harvest more deer annually than Michigan is?

Michigan 2007 total - 484,000 Source MDNR

Wisconsin 2007 total - 518,000 Source WDNR

No deer left in Buffalo County? Yeah, Right!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If they have eradicated the deer herd maybe you can explain how Wisconsin is managing to harvest more deer annually than Michigan is?

Once again I said southern Third of the state. He asked a question, How did they handle the cwd outbreak. I answered, they erradicated the herd....because they did exactly that. I never said the whole state. Kind of like how the dnr handleds the TB outbreak here, they erradicated the herd.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Once again I said southern Third of the state. He asked a question, How did they handle the cwd outbreak. I answered, they erradicated the herd....because they did exactly that.
Not according to the WIDNR's population estimates. Cut it in half maybe, but we are still talking 20-40 deer per square mile.

-na

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Once again I said southern Third of the state. He asked a question, How did they handle the cwd outbreak. I answered, they erradicated the herd....because they did exactly that. I never said the whole state. Kind of like how the dnr handleds the TB outbreak here, they erradicated the herd.
According to the WDNR, in the "hot zone" area where CWD was first documented, even after employing sharpshooters, a 4 month firearms season and 4 special summertime hunts, they were still only able to reduce the resident population by approx. 40%. In some Michigan DMU's, like Kent Co., the nexus of our CWD emergence, hunters normally reduce the herd by 30% annually. An additional 10% hardly constitutes "eradication".

It should also be noted that Wisconsin is still 25% over the targeted DNR population goal, so the DNR feels that there is a whole lot more "eradicatin" to do.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That appears to be 2007 data. Everybody knows you cant shoot every one and over time herds will rebound. To me it appears that the herd is making a rebound and is roughly half of what the rest of the state is averaging.

·
Banned
222 Posts

the dnr didnt eradicate the herd in 452, its better hunting where i hunt in 452 than ever. where do you get your facts from

·
Registered
89 Posts

I am claiming to be any sort of expert on this topic, but it looks like WI did take some pretty drastic measures. (check out the links below). Let's hope that they do no not CWD in any free-ranging deer here...:sad:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17651.html

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=45486

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020503&slug=deerhunter03

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hunt in the Eradication (kill them all)and the heard reduction zone (buffer around the eradication zone). The area I have been hunting for the last 5 years is just west of Sauck Prarrie. I have not noticed a difference in deer numbers during that time. I often see many nice bucks and lots of deer over there in these zones. I don't think that the kill them all idea has taken hold over there (like they had hoped). Until this year, in an effort to get more people shooting deer, me as a NR could purchase a tag for $2 through the land owner. Think about it...how many guys would pay $2 to hunt prime grounds. I meet a few out of staters that also said the same thing about the numbers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't believe any numbers from the dnr(michigans or wisconsins.)Remember the mdnrs 2 million deer count.Now that was funny.:lol:Still makes me laugh thinking about it today.

·
Registered
434 Posts
that is true

I can't speak for other portions of the state, but northern Wisconsin is absolutely CRAWLING with deer-they are EVERYWHERE.
Also true

Last September 18, I drove back from Iowa through WI (north end of the CWD zones) and through the UP. I was specifcally looking for deer. I didn't start seeing deer until the northern part of WI, past Wausau. I still can't believe I didn't hit one, starting west of Menominee all the way to Escanaba. We finally pulled over, after a real close call, and waited for a Semi to follow.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I usually don't hunt the CWD areas but one good thing is we can use rifles in the CWD areas, vs only shotguns,M-L, & handguns. With the patchwork of private land you will never get the deer numbers way down. Some owners don't want hunting,eradication, or may be into big bucks & not want very low numbers. If you shoot a deer in CWD areas in most cases you can have free CWD testing & hold the meat until you see it's not positive. I'm sure people have/do eat at least early onset CWD positive deer & there has never been a human transfer illness that I am aware of. That has been researched intensively, no I'd rather not eat a CWD deer. CWD has been documented in many places & the more known about it the better.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I will post one last post here. Thank you for the previous poster who stated how he drove through The CWD zones and had a hard time even seeing a deer. My FIL works for the Jefferson county road commision. Unlike MI these guys do everything unlike mi where 1 works, 5 watch. They actually pick up deer of the road instead of letting them rot. For the 20 years he has been working his 12 mile stretch of I94, he has always kept an active count on roadkill deer. You guys want to argue saying there is still deer there, where do I get my facts, yah dah yah dah. When he first started he was getting roughly 150 roadkill deer a year, with roughly half being in the 4 month hunting season. Then CWD came along and the following year. After they implemented special hunts, snipers, aircraft hunts to kill off the herd in the infected zones, his # went to a staggering 18 deer for his stretch of roadway for a whole year! Now the #'s have started going back up, but not near what they used to be. Last year he was in the 40's.

I also agree with a previous poster and believe surveys are nothing more than a piece of paper to wipe your butt with. I can bet if I showed him that population estimate map, and told him there is an estimate of 32 deer/mile in 70B & 70G-CWD...He would laugh in anyones face and rent you a helicopter and tell you to prove it to him.

I get my facts from individuals who live there, in the infected zones. Seeing what has been done on a daily basis, and what they are left with. The butchers, processors, and smokehouse owners wishing it was like the old days where they had 4 months of great income while their fields sat snow covered and unplanted. That is where I get my information from.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your responses so far. I would still like to hear from others that hunt Wis. if possible, and get their take on what happened with CWD across the pond.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I first started hunting the CWD zone they would cut the head off every doe brougth in and pull tissue from bucks (it they were being mounted) Last year, they didn't take the head of the doe I brought in.. in the link below, it mentions that bucks have a higher infection rate than does (according to there #'s)

This link shows in detail meeting notes form the SAG meetings in WI. it breaks down what was proposed and apporved for the up coming season in relation to the up coming season:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/whealth/issues/cwd/doc/SAGreport.pdf

here is map showing how many and where they were found...looks current from 02-06
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/whealth/issues/cwd/images/prev.pdf

AH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts