Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the drive home from an evening training session I was able to reflect on the past year with my dog. Last January 8th I hunted a preserve with Vizsla Hunt Dog and others in order to pass the day I was supposed to get married without getting too depressed. As many of you know, that hunt turned out to be a near disaster for the pup and I. He wasn't ready for so much stimulation and someone blasted a few 12 gauge rounds directly over his head. Well, he shut down that day and I could see the look of serious concern on VHD's face. I know that he thought, as did I, that Tecumseh might not recover from that day.
In the end, I got lucky that being over zealous with a young pup didn't ruin him and I learned some valuable lessons. After an entire year of training and hunting, it is January 8th again. I decided to bring the young dog to work with me and train afterwards at Farmland Pheasant Hunters in Brown City. What a difference a year makes. When I arrived KEK25 and another member of the SouthEast Michigan Bird Dog Club were in the training fields wrapping up their session and KEK25 agreed to stay a little while longer and be my gunner. Tecumseh found all of the birds and Keith and I shot all of the planted chukars. The little guy found all of the dead and wounded and although he didn't really want to bring them back [he wanted to keep them for himself] it was nice to be out training with my dog and a good friend.
It's a new year and I want to thank everyone who makes this site enjoyable to visit nearly everyday and to those who have gone out of their way to help me get into the world of hunting dogs.
Thank you.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks to you two mike and everyone else that let me get out with my rescue dog. I have a lot of work with him and the pup to do before next year but I am glad I have emt people that I can get out and train with

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Great pictures and story, looks like a good time. Glad things are working out for you and your dog. Just think what another year will bring! Brian.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Here's to another year.....

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Mike has shown a lot of patience and dedication to Tech during the past year . He's probably hunted more than most of us on this forum, and his hard work is definitely paying divedends.

It was a pleasure to watch Tech in the field yesterday, exhibiting that hunting style so classic of a Vizsula. Tech has an excellent nose, and he is the quickest dog I've witnessed working cover. Those birds don't stand a chance. Can't wait to see him in the grouse woods next year!

Good work, Mike!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I really mean that. Vizslas have a hunting style that is easy on the eyes. When he's moving on game through cover Tech is smooth, while at the same time quick and athletic. Watching him work the wind yesterday down in that ditch line filled with overgrowth was fun.

I don't know how that "u" keeps on ending up in there, Mike. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
What a difference a year makes! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hope 2006 is a great year for ya...and all of us for that matter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts