Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

If IA and OH were looking to kill more 1.5yo bucks, which MI tradition should be first adopted?

• 2 Week continuous Firearm season starting Nov. 15

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Statewide/Seasonwide Combo license (2 bucks)

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Ensure hunters feel that their state’s surplus of hunters makes older buck harvest unrealistic

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Ensure hunters feel that their state’s habitat/soil/AG is not conducive to mature buck harvest

Votes: 1 2.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well said, anything else just creates more division between the ranks.
If it meets your personal standards make the choice and be comfortable with it.
My personal standards may be higher than yours but that's my choice and not for anyone else to make as long as it is legal in the particular area, and I do it in a moral and responsible manner.

As a member of the fuddy duddy, over 60 year old, "old school type" deer hunter I don't shoot 1.5 year old bucks and haven't for 40 years. To be lumped in a special group is not acceptable to me, in fact, most of the young bucks I have witnessed killed were killed by 20-40 year olds, who had family and job commitments, leaving little time to hunt.

Old guys like some of us tend to have more time, have learned patience, and tend to be selective. We've seen more, experienced more highs and lows, and have stopped and smelled the roses much longer.
Filling a tag with anything carrying horns is not normally our goal, in fact just being healthy and able to be out there sometimes meets and exceeds our goals, that's plenty enough.

Live long enough and you will understand how an old guy thinks, it's usually quite different than the younger generation thinks it is. If change is deemed to be for the good, we'll adapt as we always have.
If change is done just for the sake of change, or because of someone's special interest or agenda, it may be a tough row to hoe, most of us my age have hoed plenty of them long before today.
Bingo-man.jpg

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Iv hunted iowa. Their gun hunters are no better than ours. Lots of young bucks shot and deer drive city. Party hunting and lots of wounded deer. The big difference is they dont put their gun season in the middle of the rut which saves a ton of deer. And its a very ****t season. Not 1.5 months like in michigan.
Gun season in the middle of the rut? What state is that, if you are lucky the end of the rut is at the start of gun season on half the years. Just no deer hunting the first two weeks of November then you will see a older class of bucks survive.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I like your first option but we technically have 1.5 months of continuous firearms season between general firearms, muzzleloading, late antlerless, and the new muzzleloading exception on public for late antlerless.

Reactions: Dish7
41 - 43 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.