Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
unregistered4 said:
Fourthly...since this "tail thing" has become the standard for acquiring a "great bird dog". I'm going to do a little experiment...or lets make it interesting and call it a wager.

If Scott (2ESRGR8) would be interested, I'll put up my numbers/stats from last season, from my dog Deputy. Who's been trained (and I use that term loosely) and handled only by me, against his dog Kate this season. Last season Deputy was one year and one month old when the season began. And, Kate will be one year and nine months when this season begins this year, and has been to a trainer a few times, out west last spring - for a month or so, trialed, etc. With all of that being said. I'm willing to wager that Deputy's number on birds pointed - will be more; birds shot over him - will be more; unproductive - will be less and bumped birds - will be less.

The reason I picked Scott and his dog Kate is...I know him and hunt with him often (unfortunately...lol), and know that he keeps/takes stats exactly the same way I do, hunts very similar to me, hunts more than one dog, hunts my spots half the time (the bast***...lol), hunts around the same amount of hours, prides himself on being able to put his dogs into birds...and he's honest...Oh, and most importantly Kate has a pretty straight, twelve o'clocktail.

Oh, the wager will be...the owner of whoever's dog does the best...doesn't have to do dishes at the cabin and gets his cigar lit for him...and has his beer retrieved from the fridge for him...all season long.
Soooooo...how goes it?

Brian.

P.S. Just so most of you know, Scott and I are close friends and take all of this with a grain of salt. This has been just Internet humor/fun to us and we've never once spoken of this topic outside of this venue.

Well, besides me pointing out where we keep the dish soap and towels at the cabin last weekend...lol

Kate's a very nice dog and will be Scott's "go to dog" someday. Deputy showed signs of being special again this year, but then again showed signs of really out running, under thinking the situations and just being a darn uneducated pup, too.

But, all in all..."It's all good".

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Fellas-
The winner should also have his pictures posted here by the loser, as the spoils of the wager are delivered: the lighting of the cigars, the serving of the lagers...

Just a thought - as the rest of us would enjoy them greatly.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steelheadfred said:
So Brian, are you saying that this proves Setters are superior to pointers?
No need for me to state the obvious...

2ESRGR8 said:
Kater and I are praying for light snow in December
Hey...I didn't get no "late season"...

milmo1 said:
The winner should also have his pictures posted here by the loser
Oh...don't worry about that...

Dave Medema said:
Need a shooter to help you along?
Another statement that's soooooooo obvious...

Sure thing.
Hey...no ringers...

Brian.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting... i like this
If you think that's interesting...

I've already picked out a nice apron for Scott...with the words..."Setters Rule and Pointers Drool" on the front...and a place to carry a lighter (for his cigar lighting duties) and beers (for his beer retrieving duties). Boy, it's going to be a grand season next year...for me anyway.

Welcome to Michigan Sportsman Jesse.

I hope all is going well for you and Dallas out there. I'm hoping to stop by your dads tonight and see his new pup.

Brian.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Dang now I gotta fetch beers and light cigars too.
And here I only thought I had to worry about dishpan hands. :help:

·
Registered
140 Posts
interesting... i like this
Sure is! I'm assuming the wager goes until the end of the late grouse season?

Welcome dallasdog, how about a pic of Dallas! One of my pup's litermates is named the same.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm assuming the wager goes until the end of the late grouse season?
He says..."yes"...and I say..."no". (because, Deputy got snowed out early last year)

But, whatever...I can live with it either way...and I have to let him have it his way once in awhile.

I wish I would have made the wager for pulling burrs though...instead of doing the dishes. Couldn't imagine what it would be like to never have to pull another burr...that would be sweet!

Maybe, that will be the wager for next year. But, next year we go head to head.

Brian.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thought id joins this forum ... im planning on being home next year we'll see how it plays out... me and dallas are doing great and having a great season... they have a great "put and take" pheasant program out here its just not the same tho.....ill get some pics up here shortly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts