Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will be the next person to realize their dreams of owning a Bait and Tackle just down the street from the Ausable River, and a short drive from Oscoda? I've been coming to the NE part of the State for 55 years, and the Dam Store (and Bear Store, near Hale) has always been there, and has been open. There was a time when that dam/river/port supported 2 fully-stocked stores that close (to the dam), and 2 other shops in town. There are still tons of great fishing opportunities right there.

https://wkfr.com/dam-store-michigan-for-sale/

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Who will be the next person to realize their dreams of owning a Bait and Tackle just down the street from the Ausable River, and a short drive from Oscoda? I've been coming to the NE part of the State for 55 years, and the Dam Store (and Bear Store, near Hale) has always been there, and has been open. There was a time when that dam/river/port supported 2 fully-stocked stores that close (to the dam), and 2 other shops in town. There are still tons of great fishing opportunities right there.

I miss the Bear's Den, those chili cheese waffles were awesome. I'd stop in every time I went to see my folks out that way.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
There was a time when that dam/river/port supported 2 fully-stocked stores that close (to the dam), and 2 other shops in town. There are still tons of great fishing opportunities right there.

Remember Ruthie's? She was a cool old gal with her Coke-bottle glasses. Damn I must be getting old! I thought I was still too young for nostalgia. :sad:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

Damn........

·
Super Moderator
19,634 Posts
Never knew that the owner was good friends with one of my great aunts. We brought her down from Calumet and she wanted to visit them.

After finding out I HAD to ask how he could justify selling Coleman lantern fluid for 8 bucks a gallon in the late 70's-early 80's. It's whatever you can get! Ah, the old snagging days...

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
I have a place north of Hale. I hope it sells. It bugs me to see places fall by the wayside. The Au Sable River Camp, Bear's den, Hale Bar :), come to mind. We try to support the Long Lake Bar, Cedar Tavern, and Desi's all we can when we are up.

I even remember Whispering Pines. I am getting old.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I have a place north of Hale. I hope it sells. It bugs me to see places fall by the wayside. The Au Sable River Camp, Bear's den, Hale Bar :), come to mind. We try to support the Long Lake Bar, Cedar Tavern, and Desi's all we can when we are up.

I miss the all you can eat fish at Hale Bar. I'd go get fat any chance I had.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Friday's at Cedar is pretty good if you get the chance. That or we go to the Eagle's Club for the fry.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Friday's at Cedar is pretty good if you get the chance. That or we go to the Eagle's Club for the fry.
My mom tells me about the Eagles Club often. She moved up to Lupton a few years back to be closer to friends. Heck you might know a lot of the people she does, seems everybody knows everybody up there.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts

What are you asking for it. Could you PM me the details?

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
I am sorry, I was referring to the store and not my cabin. I am not selling my place.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FOE Lodge, just north of Hale, has AYCE Cod on Friday nights. The Hale Bar has been closed for many years, and the building is gone now.

I saw $500k for the Dam Store. I've bought a lot of bait, and coffee, and snacks, and sandwiches, and fishing licenses, and beer, and hooks there, over the years.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
FOE Lodge, just north of Hale, has AYCE Cod on Friday nights. The Hale Bar has been closed for many years, and the building is gone now.

I saw $500k for the Dam Store. I've bought a lot of bait, and coffee, and snacks, and sandwiches, and fishing licenses, and beer, and hooks there, over the years.
And Dam Water Bottles. I'll have to stop in and buy a few next weekend when I am up.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts

Timbers & a # of other's! Hate to see them go :(

·
Registered
12,718 Posts

That FOE right on corner of Wickert? We say "wickert's quicker" to get to my uncles place.. Either rollaway rd or Wickert, I take them both equally !
Love them both..
I usually bring the fish for a fry but that would be easier ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder if the banks now consider dam failures such as happened in Midland Co. when evaluating businesses like this. The building is high enough not to be damaged. But the business wouldn't survive the economic collapse that would follow not having Foote Pond present. Something I never would have considered prior to 2020.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts