Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a very committed and passionate hunter. It's part of my identity, but this season turned into a real grind. I dealt with several struggles in bow season and as my firearm season came to a close, I lost track of the passion for a moment. It was hard to admit it to myself or more so my ego. I know everyone can relate and if you can't, you haven't hunted long enough. I needed something to bring me back to what was important. I got that in the form a swift kick in the rear from my old man. It resonated with me so much that I put it in writing on our blog. I hope you will read about my experience and if you're a victim of circumstances like I have been this year, I hope this will help you recharge your motivation.
http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/...-time-to-hunt-answering-the-age-old-question/

·
Registered
20,075 Posts
I'm pretty much the same way with salmon fishing. My boat needs about $4k in repairs, but I have a 14' that if I pick my days can get me into fish. And between both boats, my salmon catches have gone from 200 to 100 to 10-15 a year.

Took the crippled boat out for a charity tournament, and my daughter landed a 19# king, then we lost a much bigger one that just made the reel scream. In a boat with a spun coupler that could only go 4 mph, we got 9th place and had the fish on to win, but dropped two of them. And then I remembered why I have the bigger boat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty much the same way with salmon fishing. My boat needs about $4k in repairs, but I have a 14' that if I pick my days can get me into fish. And between both boats, my salmon catches have gone from 200 to 100 to 10-15 a year.

Took the crippled boat out for a charity tournament, and my daughter landed a 19# king, then we lost a much bigger one that just made the reel scream. In a boat with a spun coupler that could only go 4 mph, we got 9th place and had the fish on to win, but dropped two of them. And then I remembered why I have the bigger boat.
That sounds like a damn good day! Not to mention you spent it with your daughter. It's so hard to keep focused on the bigger picture when it seems like Murphy's Law has taken over. Where abouts do you do most of your salmon fishing? I heard so many mixed reports across the state this year?

·
Registered
20,075 Posts
Mostly West Michigan, but I've fished pretty much every port from Michigan City up to Platte Bay at some point in the last few years. There were bigger kings this year, but not nearly as many.

My middle daughter really, really wants to get into deer hunting, and I love me some venison, so maybe that's going to have to fill in some of the slack.

Good read. I'll admist I had a bunch of days off this duck season (painfully slow for most) where I turned the alarm off and spent the morning watching cartoons with my 3 year old. A great way to spend a morning; they're be more sunrises in the marsh but she'll be off to school soon enough. But still...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mostly West Michigan, but I've fished pretty much every port from Michigan City up to Platte Bay at some point in the last few years. There were bigger kings this year, but not nearly as many.

My middle daughter really, really wants to get into deer hunting, and I love me some venison, so maybe that's going to have to fill in some of the slack.

Good read. I'll admist I had a bunch of days off this duck season (painfully slow for most) where I turned the alarm off and spent the morning watching cartoons with my 3 year old. A great way to spend a morning; they're be more sunrises in the marsh but she'll be off to school soon enough. But still...
That's what I had heard as well. Big fish, but low numbers. Absolutely understand that! On that note there hasn't been too many birds flying yet either I'm sure you know so there hasn't been much to miss. We still need a really good cold snap to get them moving I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.