Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Looking for a pair of good quality Bibs....Looked at Frabil, Strikemaster, Ice armor, Cabelas, and Mustang.....I have had the Cabelas bibs for many many years, getting tired, holes in the pockets a few burns here and there but very good. Wondering if theres anything new and improved and really cool or hot i should say?:help:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own the Mustang float coat and bibs. We cut a hole in the ice a few week back and jump in to see how well it floated me. It held me real high in the water, made it real easy to get back on the ice. Plus only my legs got wet. It comes in a one piece and two piece. Linwood Marina carrys them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love my Frabill Bibs. water proof, wind proof, padded knees, and the Velcro bottom ankle is great for keeping out the cold wind while traveling. Tons of pockets, some with drain holes as well.

·
Michigan Sportsman
684 Posts
:)I have the Ice armor and love them. They have lots of pockets with zippers or velcro and the material is tough.
Broke down and purchased the same .. Ice armor gear. Was out in the extream cold conditions last weak, the only thing cold on the way in was my thumb :rant:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought the arctic armor floating suit last winter. Definitely worth the extra few dollars to feel "safe" when travelling the bay or river. Very warm, windproof, waterproof and lightweight. You actually need to unzip the jacket when drilling holes and setting up shanty or you will get too warm - a good problem to deal with on the bay. I can't think of how any suit could possibly be better than this one!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i run out there with my black carhart artics and they are the best bibs i could ask for out there never took a dip in them but the have always kept me warm no matter if im fishing or riding wind dont seem to punch through them at all i love em got some holes and what not inthem so thinking bout buying a new pair this spring for next year

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
+1 on Arctic Armor. Proper layering is a requirement, as are good wicking long johns - the only downside is that the closed foam inside (I think it's a type of small-cell, closed foam) that provides the buoyancy and windbreak doesn't breathe. You'll get a wee bit damp just sitting in the shanty unless you're opened up some. Sizing is screwy, too.

But I love mine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you can afford it, Mustang all the way. As a professional mariner, I use them for work all the time. I also have a set of ice rider bibs and coats for personal use. Work just bought me a new mustang integrity bib/coat set and it is great. Has the reinforced patches on the knees, butt, shoulders and cuffs. If you are going to spend the money for ice armor, spend a little more and save your life if you go in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bought the arctic armor floating suit last winter. Definitely worth the extra few dollars to feel "safe" when travelling the bay or river. Very warm, windproof, waterproof and lightweight. You actually need to unzip the jacket when drilling holes and setting up shanty or you will get too warm - a good problem to deal with on the bay. I can't think of how any suit could possibly be better than this one!
Is that suit coast guard approved? I didn't know ice armor made a floater set, but then again I have not been looking at them. Mustang coats are type three coast guard approved, so you can use it on the boat in the spring and fall (winter when we have no ice) and it counts as a life preserver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, Looking for a pair of good quality Bibs....Looked at Frabil, Strikemaster, Ice armor, Cabelas, and Mustang.....I have had the Cabelas bibs for many many years, getting tired, holes in the pockets a few burns here and there but very good. Wondering if theres anything new and improved and really cool or hot i should say?:help:
Just purchased artic armour , keep you warm, dry, light weight, -20 windchill last week, no problem!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Is that suit coast guard approved? I didn't know ice armor made a floater set, but then again I have not been looking at them. Mustang coats are type three coast guard approved, so you can use it on the boat in the spring and fall (winter when we have no ice) and it counts as a life preserver.
No the Arctic Armour is not coast gaurd apporved but I have a set and LOVE IT. and the floatation will help stay affloat so you can use your energy to get out. It's not by ice armour.....made by IDIGear. Good stuff!!!

To the OP:
If $$ is not a major limiting factor I would look at nothing but Mustang or Arctic Armour!!!! Just my .02!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the red arctic armor suit and it's great. I never get cold and the best part is when you kneel down on the ice you don't get wet knees. Carharts keep yOu warm but water is there enemy and they don't help keep you afloat but they do help weigh you down if you were to fall through the ice which isn't a good thing.
Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another +1 on Artic Armour set. I bought mine at end of December this year and agree with all points made. Warm (almost too warm), completely wind resistant, very durable. The only additional info I can add, is that in order to test mine, I layed on the ice next to my holes (outside of shanty) for 45 minutes the day after I purchased the suit. Felt like I was laying on carpet. I finally got up when my buddy flipped his shanty open and said "alright, I get the point. I'm going to go buy mine tomorrow". haha.

But, I haven't float-tested mine yet. I am going to wait until warmer weather - I've been looking for someone to report on the effectiveness of the bouyancy. I've seen the online video's that IDIgear has, and it claims it's bouyant enough to rescue 4 adults if necessary. Has anyone tried the polar bear test yet?

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
+1 carhart arctic bibs

Sent from my Droid using Taptalk.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts