Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing some pretty warm temps w/rain forecasted for a prolonged period of time....I fear it may be the premature death of the ice fishing season......:( :(

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Nope, wont even come close to melting the ice. Temps will fall back i nthe low-mid 30s(for SE michigan) with lows i nthe upper teens and low 20s, meaning, most of the day will be below freezing. All this warm weather and rain(some light rain) will do is slicken up the ice, and, may melt a little off, because, we will go for about 50 hours above freezing. No worries, my guess, we will have at least another month left, unless, we get a freak warmup like last year, which, BTW, melted 16 solid inches of ice in 5 DAYS!!! Lets hope that dont happen!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This happens about every year, a little mid-winter thaw. Don't pack your ice gear away quite yet.

I'm with Quest, all this ice has me in the dumps.

Mitch

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Watch the Sagnasity....I have seen it eat 6" of ice in about 5 hours once the runoff starts..... Melts it from underneth...

·
Registered
249 Posts
One nice thing about this warmer weather; it seems to have settled all the snow and slush on the lake I usually fish. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks and I was afraid the slush would be even worse.. But to my surprise, everything seems to have settled and there's a nice hard-pack with little if any slush. Made for a much more enjoyable sled-pulling experience!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree there is always one thaw at this time. There is still plenty of time to get out there!!!

The good thing is when it starts to thaw it's a great ride out. Normally the fish start getting really active. Kind of like all of us!!!!

Enjoy the rest of the hard ice cause after this there is only all the spring fishing then the summer bass fishing and then the fall salmon and then the deer hunting and then it won't be long till the hard water season again:D :D Gotta love this state, I don't know why my wife says that there is always something going on;)

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I like the soft water as much as anyone but I'd like good ice for another month. Don't worry about a couple warm days screwing up the lakes but Salmonslammer is right about the Saginaw and other rivers.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Last time I was out (at the mouth of a river in the middle of the state), there was over 2 feet of ice with almost a foot of snow and slush on top of it. No way 35 is gonna put a dent into it.

Now the Saginaw, watch out. (Saw a shanty about 10 yards from an open spot when driving to work today! :eek: )

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
theres still a lot of snow on the ice. all this rain and warm weather will do is get rid of it. shouldnt hurt the ice at all on the inland lakes

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys ... I see that I'm seriously in the minority on this topic but give us hard water guys a break here! It's only February! (tho this year we pick up an extra day in the 2nd month <wink>)
Plenty of ice here in the SE - was out this morning on better than a foot with no snow which made for easy walking. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Poor souls in the north seem to have to deal with tons of wet snow and slush making it very tough on them whether walking or riding. I'm bummed to hear that.

Best to all.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Went for a hike at Muskegon State Park today. Ice looks very slushy. Surprised to see a quad runner just off shore.

Let's get rid of the shelf ice (should be gone by now) and bring on trout season! :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Fished the last marina in the Saginaw River today and it had about 6 to 7 of white cloudy ice on top. There was about 16 good inches of solid ice in there at the bottom. To bad the fishing was not as good. Landed only about 15 gills and 1 crappie also 6 perch and a couple of bass. Sounds pretty good except that nothing stretched 6 inches. At least the weather was nice. BAYDOG

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Well after fishing the river saturday morning with my bro, it will be awhile before the ice goes away. Sorry soft water fella's. Watched the weather and they are calling for temps to be in the low to mid 30's, with lows in the upper teens. As long as it stays below freezing, then things will be good to go.

C&R, I am with you. Melt the shelf ice. I need to get out and fish for steel. Maybe I will try to go this week :confused:

Fished Ross Lake in front of my parents place today. Well over a foot of ice. It was funny though. I would auger a little, then water would show, auger about another 1' then I was through. Small pockets between the frozen slush and good solid ice.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I was ready for the ice to go, and start chasing some steel, because the ice was getting thicker and the blades on my hand auger were getting duller. But now I have a gas auger so the ice can stay for another month!!!:eek: :D ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts