Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at heading out this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has been heading out to the bay from the mouth or out of state park. If so how are the cracks and ices shoves. Not looking for specific spots just want to get to some deeper water and be safe doing it. Thanks ahead for any info

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
1-update your profile so guys know where you are coming from?
2-yes you can get out of the mouth, but only to about the island
area around state park after a mile, to my knowledge is like a mine field, travel is not easy on the west side and ice is iffy in most places
3-look on the "sunset saturday" thread-make the extra drive and hook
up with that group. i know i would if i didnt have family stuff going on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have only fished the bay a few times through the years only going out a couple hundred yards. My question for you bay guys is if I have a flip shanty that drops down into a sled and has a bench seat in it is can my wife sit on the bench seat while I pull it out a couple miles with the 4 wheeler as long as we wear helmet's ?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Have you considered just riding 2up on the 4 wheeler????

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
ride double on the quad!!
pull the shanty
or she may never fish again
that'd be a miserable ride for sure....cause I'm sure on the way back she'd say
"let me drive, and you ride in the tub"

yes. both need helmets

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
If it is not a 2 up it most certain is NOT LEGAL to ride to 2 up, you can tow her behind you in the sled that is legal and the funny part is she doesn't need to wear a helmet but you do. You will need a reg and trail sticker for the 4w. (not a orv)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's not legal but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it while fishing

·
Registered
155 Posts
As long as the machine does not have a sticker saying no passengers the dnr will do nothing! Ride 2! Only thing needed is helmets. And as long as your pulling ice gear and not playing around they won't mess with you anyhow. I get a orv sticker just to cover my butt. Never had any issues, passed dnr riding double every year.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I ride double all the time on my quad have been stopped and checked and never said anything about it but you will need an Orv sticker for the quad that is all u need

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
just as the attachment said ,if yours is single legally she has to ride in the shanty ,dont go fast and bring a boat cushion with ya Traci has rode in the shanty several times just got to take your time legally she wont need a helmet but i would have her wear one never know if your going to hit a chunk of ice and tip the shanty ,if trailering your quad there can you pull your trailer behind the quad? Yes a idea.. good luck on your trip !!!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Unless it's a designated 2-up it's "illegal". I've personally seen them ticket people exactly for this off Linwood Rd on the bay. Was flagged down by the Dnr officer, and as I stopped he said "nevermind this is a 2-up, have a nice day". They were writing tickets to everyone else which came in riding 2 on a machine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts