Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all!

So it's Friday morning November 27th. Anybody out there hungry yet? :lol:

We had a great Thanksgiving yesterday here at the Pollman household and I hope your family did too. I've got to say that the highlight was the Turkey. We had planned on going to my moms house but a few days prior to Thanksgiving something came up for her that was going to make it too difficult to have everyone to her place so I told her we could do it here. It really isn't too big of a deal because normally we divide the menu up between three or four of us and it makes it easier. Because we were hosting I took charge of the bird, appetizers, and a couple side dishes. Here's how I did my bird. It was EASY as can be and it made the absolute BEST Turkey I've ever eaten. Here's what I did.

I started with a Butterball fresh Turkey that weighed a little over 23 lbs. Normally I'd make the stuffing and stuff the bird but my mom makes a killer stuffing so she said that she would make it and bring it with her. She told me about a way to prepare the bird that sounded interesting and because I didn't have to stuff it with dressing I figured I'd give it a try.

I took the bird and rinsed it and then patted it dry. Then seasoned just the cavity with some seasoned salt. Then I cut up four small (about 2-1/2") Honey Crisp apples. I left the peel on but just cut them into about six or eight wedges and removed the seeds. Then just stuff the cavity with the apples. I inserted the probe for my digital thermometer and popped it into a 325 oven. That's all I did. After a couple hours it seemed to be cooking a little fast so I cut the heat back to about 300 degrees. About 3-1/2 hours in I tented the bird with some foil because it was starting to brown and I didn't want it to get too dark. As people started to arrive I checked the temp and bumped it back up to 325 so that it would be done on time. Just a quick basting now and then and that's all it took. I removed the tent about twenty minutes before it was done and the bird came out PERFECTLY! I'll have to get some pics from my brother who took them but I've got to pat myself on the back for this one. It was the most beautiful bird I've ever cooked.

The meat was as tender and juicy as can be. The Honey Crisp's added an awesome flavor to the bird. I figured the apples would be mush after six hours in the oven but they weren't. I pulled some of them out and they were absolutely delicious! I hadn't planned on eating them but they were so good I couldn't resist. Several people took a spoon and put some on their plate. I don't think I'll ever stuff a Turkey again. From now on it's Honey Crisp stuffing all the way!

I think you'll enjoy this recipe. Try it next time you're cooking a Turkey. You won't be disappointed.

Take care.

John

·
Premium Member
30,275 Posts
Sounds good:) Thanks for the idea, never put fruit inside:lol: got some of the .29 a pound on sale turkeys and put in freezer. Will try after first of year.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I just cooked one using the "Brine" method. Soaked it for about 8 hours in a brine of salt, brown sugar and misc seasonings. Then I cooked it in a bag for about 2 hours until the digital thermometer said 170 deg.
Opened up the bag around the breast, cranked it up to 400 deg and let it go for another 15 minutes to brown up the breast. Wow was it moist, tender and flavorful. Unbelievable compared to a normal oven bird.

I have one more turk in the freezer so I may have to give your apple method a try.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the Turkey must have been a hit because it's almost completely gone! My step father is the carving master so I gave him the electric knife and had him do it while I did other things. I figured there was probably more on the carcass that I'd clean up tonight. Boy he did a great job because that sucker is almost picked clean. There's not much left in the ziplocs that we put the leftovers in after everyone took what they wanted when they left. We've still got quite a bit of sides left so I think I may go to Kroger tomorrow and pick up a small 12 pounder or so and cook it up for us. Man that was some good Turkey.

John

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
That is something similar to what I do when smoking a boneless pork butt. I slit the pork butt and stuff in apple slices along with extra seasoning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts