Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for fireworks, and firecrackers. I really hate this time of year. Heard my first few close ones today. one even sent the dogs scrambling. did I mention I really hate this time of year? guess there is not much you can do except wait it out.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
We hate this time of year also, the hounds don't mind the firecrackers during the day, but nighttime is another story. One of the beagles is a shaking mess when the big ones go off up in the air. A little Benadryl helps her a bit.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
for fireworks, and firecrackers. I really hate this time of year. Heard my first few close ones today. one even sent the dogs scrambling. did I mention I really hate this time of year? guess there is not much you can do except wait it out.
Got a basement?
Hunker down there for the next 4 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I usually send our Summer Newsletter with the following WARNING and TIPS:

Keep your dogs inside and with music or the TV playing louder than normal to try to help with drowning out the noise of the outside fireworks. Unfortunately, we see it every year after July 4th ... dogs (all ages) that were messed up from the fireworks. Do NOT take your dogs to any public fireworks displays! You would be surprised how many owners do not think that this is a problem. Dogs have very sensitive ears.

You are always better to try to prevent your dog from being noise sensitive/gun shy in the first place. You never know what the neighborhood kids (or adults) are going to be doing so protect your dogs from harm over the next couple of weeks and if possible bring them inside. Fireworks are one of the most common reasons for skiddish or noise sensitive dogs, and gun ranges are right up there next to them.

CAUTION: We firmly believe that you should not fire any type of guns around your dogs unless they are in pursuit of a live bird and completely pre-occupied with the excitement of live birds. GUNSHOT = LIVE BIRD That is the best way to prevent a GUN SHY dog or puppy. Remember, you will always need to protect them from very loud noises. EXAMPLE: Take your dog elsewhere when RE-ROOFING the house. A client's already field trained dog was ruined by being left in the house with roofers and their air-guns all day. We had to very slowly start all over with the field training process and it took a lot of time, money and birds to overcome the issues. It is your responsibility as their owner to protect your dog's sensitive hearing.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Excellent points Vicki- We have neighbors that buy the illegal fireworks and have one night of Hell around here. I can put the dogs up, but the horses panic and rip down the fences. When they are panicked, it is a dangerous situation. I get no support from law enforcement, so we do what we can do....:yikes:

I just start getting in the habit of putting the horses in at night also- with the radio going. Big fans running seem to help.:sad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts