Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,,,it was bound to happen. Blue sky's NW winds to 20 mph and dropping temps all day,,,kept the geese on the roost all day in our area till a 1/2 hour before shooting time ended. With about 15 minutes to go a flock broke off and 2 came over the dekes just inside of edge,,,I opted not to call the shot although I think we could have taken at least one bird but it was iffy. Then down to the wire,with only a minute or so left in shooting time,here come a another flock and this one decides to angle towards us,,,4 brake off and do the muscle man deal, I yell take em, right at or just a few seconds before shooting time ends,,,,They were 15 yards out and almost on the landing pad, bam,,,one falls,,,,bam,bam,bam,bam,bam,,,bam and that was it, nothing else dropped at point blank range. I think their trigger fingers froze or their body's couldn't function after waiting all day from 8:30 set up time till right at the mark. Anyway,,,somedays are better then others and we were extremely happy to even get the one opportunity at the end of the day. We had em landing in the dekes after we unloaded our guns and were carrying decoys back to the trailer,,,I mean while we were right there and they actually stayed till we pulled the last decoys,,,,I think they were trying to get to us or something. Great guys today,,,but no picture,,,,"it":) was a monster too,,,but I was toooooooo darn cold to take a photo. I bet that sucker had a 5' or 6' wing spread.

Some days are better then others.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Mike,
I like hearing about your bad days as much as the good ones (actually any tme you don't get skunked is a good day). For people like me who cannot go any day it is important for me to try to predict what is going to be a good day. I know they are impossible to predict but that is why I try. I am pretty good with ducks but not geese. Most of my goose hunting is on a private lake in Tawas during the early season. Some years I get two or three flocks to come in and others I won't see a bird for three days. Of course when I walk back to the big lake, there they are swimming with kids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts