Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wanted to do one last goose hunt for the season, it was an afternoon hunt and I was hunting of land but had about a 1/8 of a mile walk or so though a bunch of mud and such. I also had a bad full bag of floaters and was weighed down real good. Once I got out to the spot there were easy 50 or so geese already there. Of course they all flew away out of range but I was hoping that they would do the huge loop de loop thing and make there way back. As I was quickly setting up that’s when I realized I had NO COAT on and didn’t bring one. Well I sure wasn’t going back so I made the best of it and had a number of flocks fly over but they were all out of range.

· Registered
13,998 Posts
God knows we've all forgotten things on hunting trips. I can recall having to borrow shotgun shells because I grabbed the wrong bag when heading out at 4am. And forgetting waders on an opening day trip 3 hours up north, and having to drive to town to search for a pair. But the dumbest thing I did was years ago when my brother and I were heading out to do some grouse hunting in December. It was very cold, and instead of driving with my heavy hunting boots on, I often wore some light shoes to drive, put my big boots in the truck, then I put on my boots on when we got to the hunting spot. For some reason this particular time I didn't even wear the light shoes, just walked into the garage in my heavy socks and got in the truck. You guessed it.....forgot the big boots! So we get to our spot about 30 minutes away, I realize that I have no boots OR shoes of any kind. My options were to drive home and get them, or try to hunt without any. Well being about 18 and foolish at the time, I searched the truck and found some extra socks in the back, and just threw on about three pairs and went hunting.......in the winter.....in the snow! IN MY STOCKING FEET! Now anyone who's hunted upland through the brush is probably shaking their head right now. All the sticks, logs, brush, etc. were brutal on my stocking feet. By the time we got back to the truck about two hours later, my feet were pretty wet and cold, and the outer layer of socks was pretty ragged.

Or how about the time at Harsen's many moons ago when we walked into one of the corn strips without a boat of any kind, and proceeded to drop our only duck ACROSS THE DITCH FROM US. Those ditches are deep. It was an early season hunt, and not too cold, so my friend stripped down to his underwear and swam for it. Probably a first at Harsen's I would imagine. But he did a great dog paddle, and it was a hell of a retrieve!

Good God the stories I could tell.

· Registered
2,989 Posts
I prolly could tell a few stories too.

One lesson I learned is to never, EVER, rely on somebody else to load your gear.
That way, you have nobody to blame but yourself when ya get to where you are going and your gear never accompanied you. :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

· Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Buddy is late... real late and calls saying "Ain't goin' " - Now you're PO'd and rushing to the lake to get there by yourself.

get to the launch... back the rig down in.... tie her off... labs in the boat... go park the vehicle.

slip into the waders and walk down to find your dog sitting on the bow because the boats been scuttled!!!

dark, can't find that blessed plug... (how it got up front... I don't know)

OH YEAH!!! I WAS HOT, HOT, HOT then!

the plug is the first thing I "check off" from that point on. (try bailing with a collapsible dog dish!) :mad:

· Registered
13,998 Posts
Yep, I forgot the plug once or twice myself, including on my maiden voyage with my new boat, and my wife along. I'll never hear the end of that. Everytime she goes out in the boat now, the first thing she says is "is the plug in?" Guess I don't blame her.

· Premium Member
10,561 Posts
One time, in band camp, I forgot my coat too. It was the winter camp and I survived by making a ghillie suit out of dried plant matter and survived a whole week!:)

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YA I really did forget my coat it wasn’t a big thing at the time see I work outside and I don’t wear one most of the winter. If I do it’s usually a light one just to break the wind. The only hard part about this time is that it’s so early in the season and I’m just not adjusted yet to the real cold. But I did fairly well; I made sure that my hands were in my waders as much as possible and just sucked it up.

· Registered
20,099 Posts
Ya, I've done the gun, shells, boots, coat & plug thing also, the worst was when I forgot my gun, when my buddy and I went deer hunting. Forgetting the gun wasn't the bad part, it was the drive home, after stepping in a puddle of mine own urine when I was changing from my shoes to my boots. I had to drive an hour home with 2 "pee soakers". I'm sure you could imagine the smell, with the heater blowing on my feet the whole way home.:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,533 Posts
My buddy and I got the boat out of the truck slid it to the water slipped on the waders and were putting the equipment in the boat when I looked at him and said. "where is my gun?" It was an afternoon hunt and we hurried to get there. Lucky for my the drive back was 3 min.

· Registered
720 Posts
Buddy of mine forgot the tailgate down when leaving for up north deer hunting. His truck had a tonuau cover on it.
Got all the way up there and found out that all of his equip. slid out the back on god knows what road.
We felt bad but we'll still never let him live that one down.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.