Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Well we left Thursday morning at 7:30 in the snowing and blowing and for once the weatherman was right, the further we went North and West we hit the lake effect blizzard warning area, but still made it to Brethren by 11:30. After a quick stop to unload the truck and don our waders off to the river we went. We pulled in around 12:30 PM to find only two other “Nuts” on the river, but when the snowing and blowing increased they bailed within an hour, and for the first time ever we had the whole river to ourselves!! :woohoo1:
The temperature was around 12 degrees with a wind chill of -3, definitely “Steel heading Weather”!!! :yikes: We started chucking and ducking and second cast Dad yells “fish on”, I grab the net head down river only to find it is an 11 inch Brown…false alarm. I head back up river grab my rod make a cast and nothing for that drift. I reel in prepare to cast and once again Dad yells “fish on”, but this time I hear zzzzzzzzzzz…..no false alarm!! After 3 leaps, 4 or 5 long runs, and several bumbling attempts by me to net the fish, Dad has a dandy 28 inch, 7lb hen to hand. I get 2 or 3 casts in and yup you guessed it, dear old Dad yells “fish on” with another zzzzzzzzz…..Here we go again, but this time it is a quite fresh King and man did this fish move. It only got close enough for me to maybe net once and I would estimate him at 35+ inches but he threw the hook and was gone….what a thrill!! Dad brought several more river browns to hand and I was awarded “ The Striped Kitty”!!! In my defense I spent more time chasing up and down river and netting fish or attempting to, than actually fishing, but I would not have it any other way! Way to go Dad!!!!! :bowdown:

Friday and Saturday things seemed to shut down with the cold snap but several river Browns were brought to hand ( I even caught a few) and we also had a few good hits but nothing worth reporting.
All in all a fantastic weekend. Dad, THANKS for not only my most memorable Thanksgiving weekend yet, but also for being my “nutty as I am fishing partner” and closest friend……..cant wait to do it again!! :D
Below are a couple of pics, but they are not great due to weather conditions, but they do tell the story.

Dad with his dandy steel

Me with my striped kitty

and me again trying to save face on Friday :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Great trip Sean!!! Sounds like a great way to enjoy "fall" :)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thanks for the report and the photos! By the way, a trip to White Lake is in the planning stages for February!!!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whit1 said:
By the way, a trip to White Lake is in the planning stages for February!!!!!
Hey Whit,
Thanks, heck after last years outing ,I sure cant miss this years :lol:
fish or not ;) I saw the initial thread, count me in!! I'll be looking for the new one, come on ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Sean,
I'm waiting for a PM response from SteveA and then we'll put up a post about it in the Outings Forum. This year it'll be The Great White Lake Northern Pike Ice Capades!!! That way we'll catch a steelhead or two........:lol:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Nice report! I love fishing there in the snow with everyone gone.I wish it was that way more often :)

Quick.....alert Pinheads we're coming back...if we're still allowed in Whitehall :lol: Can't wait, I'll be there!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts