Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you remember building and or hunting out of a wood tree stand. The other day I was out in the woods and I came by an old rickety tree stand, a long way up. My son started to climb up the old steps before I kindly, instructed him to get his butt down. :yikes:

I must have built a dozen or so in my day. Using old scraps of wood you could find or pull together. Taking a 16D and pounding a 2X4 6” long into the tree to use as steps. Forget treated material, a good camo job was all we needed. The higher the better! Safety Belt, what’s that? :tdo12:

I remember the first time I saw a portable tree stand, something a guy made out of shop class with old seat belts from a car. COOL! I bought my first tree stand in the mid 80’s, I still used the 2X4 pieces as steps….there are a lot of trees out there with 2X4’s leading 20ft or so up a tree only to find a spot that I once strapped my tree stand. ;)

In case my saintly Mother ever wonders, all those prayers she said for me in my youth…YES, they worked…Thanks Mom! :)

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
We used to build those stands...and I fell out of at least two of them that I can remember from them being worn out/rotten.

While great to think back on...I'm glad I've got my wedge lok's. They go up alot faster!

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Amen. I get shivers when I think of all the stands we used back when they were first legalized.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
we still use the old 2x4 ones on occasion, with the screw in seat that attaches to the tree. Last year, opening morning, hunting a stand that hadn't been hunted yet that year (or checked) i'm sitting there waiting for daylight to break and hear "eeeiirirrrwww.....pop". Next thing i know i'm sitting on my butt on the platform (did have my harness on but I keep the cord a bit long). The post for the seat had rusted through over time. I'm sure i scared every deer away for a 1/4 mile.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Fell out of one of those old stands a couple years ago. Got lazy. Rathen then using my climber I thought I would just climb up into that old stand. Got pretty lucky, not sure how, but I walked away without a bruise.:)

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
I once found an oak tree with wooden steps leading way up to a barn door that was fastend to it's upper limbs:yikes:Still can't imagine the work that was involved into getting it there:confused:

·
Registered
537 Posts
we still use the old 2x4 ones on occasion, with the screw in seat that attaches to the tree. Last year, opening morning, hunting a stand that hadn't been hunted yet that year (or checked) i'm sitting there waiting for daylight to break and hear "eeeiirirrrwww.....pop". Next thing i know i'm sitting on my butt on the platform (did have my harness on but I keep the cord a bit long). The post for the seat had rusted through over time. I'm sure i scared every deer away for a 1/4 mile.
Wow, that sounds alot like me years ago. I had been sitting in a homemade ladder stand 15' up on a wood seat that was screwed in the tree when two nice 8 points came strolling past me. When I turned my body to adjust for the shot and drew back is when the seat gave way. So here I am at full draw, sitting on my butt and these two bucks looking at me (laughing at me), before I could get my composure and get up to my knees, those two boys were long gone. I don't think I have hunted out of a wood stand since. I have since put portable stands over the old wood platforms from the past.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can remember throwing an old pallet on the back of the old "H" (grandpa's oldest tractor) and driving out to the back of the farm and somehow managing to get that heavy thing up in the tree with a couple of 2x4 braces and we were all good....

That was until about 3 or 4 years after when I was hunting this buck that I had seen for a couple years in a row. And everyyear on the same weekend he would make his way through this same area checkin scrapes. Well it was Halloween night and I was up in that stand and out across the feild came the biggest 8 point to this day that I have ever seen in the woods.. Two mouth bleats, cuz of course I didnt have a real call, and he was on a straight line right at me. I some how kept my composure up to this point... There I was standing, release on string, huge 8 point at 50 yards coming my way....
POP, CRACK! The treestand falls out from under me and I fell about 15-16 feet to the ground. I some how managed to land on my feet with my bow in hand. I look up and that buck was just staring at me! He turned slowly and kinda trotted off. No tail up or nothing... I think he was laughing at me :lol:

So at times I do miss the old days I am still thankful for the new technology that we have for safety and convienience. It makes it nice to be able to jsut carry the treestand out instead of having to fire up the ole tractor.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Wow, that sounds alot like me years ago. I had been sitting in a homemade ladder stand 15' up on a wood seat that was screwed in the tree when two nice 8 points came strolling past me. When I turned my body to adjust for the shot and drew back is when the seat gave way. So here I am at full draw, sitting on my butt and these two bucks looking at me (laughing at me), before I could get my composure and get up to my knees, those two boys were long gone.

This is hilarious I was typing my story as you post this one! I am not alone!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have couple of buddies one who still hunts out of these 2x4 stands that his uncle built years ago was up at his place a couple of years ago and decided to hunt one of these stands. He told me to check the boards because that stand hasn't been hunted in a while. So I check the boards as I was climbing and (2) of them pulled off in my hands. For those who still hunt out of these stands be careful.

My other buddy uses strap on stands but he doesn't use any steps he climbs branches. The one stand he put me in he did use (2) screw in steps (private land) and the rest were branches 20 plus feet in the air. After the hunt and I was back on the ground safely I told u need to put more steps in that tree before I will go back up it. Not to mention he only had about a 2'x2' platform and a very small seat to sit on. The only reason I sat in the stand is because he had already killed (2) deer out of the stand and it was the stand that was getting all the action. Did I see anything? No.

Anyways for those who use homemade stands be careful and use a harness.

·
Premium Member
30,939 Posts
Holy cow! Talk about a walk down memory lane.
A friend of mine had a design for a homemade plywood hang on that was held on with 3/4 nonstretch rope, very stout until you shifted your weight and then the dancing and tree hugging began. I customized mine with a 16" piece of threaded pipe and a couple flushmount flanges and a plywood apolstered seat. Man I was stylin.:lol:
I also built several "tree condos" one in the Dansville SGA that was big enough to lay down and take a nap in. That was my "all day sit" stand. Seems every time I woke up from a nap there was a buck under me.:rolleyes::lol:
I remember the first climber that I ever saw was a Baker! Wow has technology come a long way since then.
Ahhhh...the good ol days!
Thanks Ansel!

Big T

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I went threw one last week, very lucky I didn't fall. It was a 5 year old ladder out of 2X4's and ply-wood. It was a puckerfest!!!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I went threw one last week, very lucky I didn't fall. It was a 5 year old ladder out of 2X4's and ply-wood. It was a puckerfest!!!
I still have 2 Pallet in a tree blinds, the oil treated ones. Man those were sturdy and still are. A little bulky but you could take a nap on them also. LOL

Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts