Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Thanks is just not enough (Thomas rd)

4K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  tuscola-countyhero 
#1 ·
Headed out Thomas rd at 6:30 am sat and the ride out and fishing was good then it started to snow and all hell broke loose. Headed in at 10:15 took an hour to go .2 miles and then the gps died, everything came to a holt. Ran out of gas put on reserve and then a group of five fisherman came by us and helped us. Headed in slowly and ran out of gas again put gas from three augers and started to head in again to go six miles it took almost three hours. If anyone knows or were any of these people that took time out to make sure a fellow fisherman was safe means the world to me. Cant say thank you enough. Shook hands but no names so if this gets to any of you THANKS ALOT. Would like to take you out for lunch or a dinner the least I could do. Remember no matter how prepared you are and think you have all your bases covered it will happen to you and please take the time out to help and help will come back 10 fold. Brian and John

#3 ·
Ur not kidding it was bad out there my gps froze also had to keep putting it in my jackets to warm it up. The trail was gone an couldn't see 1oo yards at times gonna get the 12v plug hooked up on my sled that is not a good feeling glad ur safe lots of good guys out there forsure!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I was also out yesterday morning. We were out ten miles and I had to be in bay city by 130 so we left the ice at 11. We didnt get back until almost one lol so i rushed to bay city. My gps batteries also died we we had to sleds and a quad almost run out of gas lol . O the good times you have on saginawbay.

#5 ·
Went out of thomas as well in all that snow and cold and was the first time out with a new sled and shanty..Thank god all went well..Glad to hear that our fellow fishermen came to your aid..I had a problem a few years back and help was on the way but as I waited no less then 6 people stopped to offer help, makes you feel good about the people around us on the bay..:)

#6 ·
Great to here.About the support you got . 99%of people will help But have seen the other 1% drive past and not look back. I take a extra gallon of gas. If you dont use it somebody may need it. Glad you made it saftley ---eyepod---out

#16 ·
I was also out yesterday morning. We were out ten miles and I had to be in bay city by 130 so we left the ice at 11. We didnt get back until almost one lol so i rushed to bay city. My gps batteries also died we we had to sleds and a quad almost run out of gas lol . O the good times you have on saginawbay.
i was born in bay city and let me tell ya, that is the best place to fish.

#20 ·
Just a reminder. Please take a compass out with you as well. Relying on batteris and GPS units in the cold is never a good idea. Oh yea, make sure you know which direction to point the compass as well!!
Well Put, I also have extra batteris for my gps...

#22 ·
Yep, 2 good stories this week.....Way to go guys, its always easier to turn the other cheek, but they didnt and it really meant alot and maybe saved his life.....it sure was Cold on Sat.....Peace

#23 ·
There is a great group of locals that fish out of Thomas. Great story, glad you made it back. I have been helped a lot by the ESTPB except they towed me further out to get to where they fish, and then towed me ten miles back in. It feels weird being towed out. It sounds like something they would do, and I am not jokeing either. The last time my sleigh ski came off and they helped rig it so I could go out the rest of the way. Then when they helped me get back, they welded it back together. I have a lot to be thankful for too. I have beer coming for them this weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.