Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of an international move from germany to michigan. We sent about 30 boxes and all arrived more ore less without a scratch. Well, the move is only a couple of weeks out and we decided to sent three more boxes out with the stuff we dont want to be without for too long. Today i get a text that one of our boxes arrived at my inlaws house. (Thats were all of our stuff was sent to). Here is how one of the boxes arrived:

I dont know what exactly is lost yet, christmas presents for sure and some personal items. Its insured for 500 bucks.
But really? Is that necessary?
Im positive that every item that is missing just went into somebody's pocket. Its one thing if something falls out, breaks and gets thrown away, but come on! That was a heavy duty moving box, extra sealed, taped and wrapped in extra durable paper. It had to have been opened.

·
proud to be a.......
8,874 Posts
We will welcome you home better than that!

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
The USPS has really got issues lately! We had a box arrive from our daughter that was in a similar condition recently! Unfortunately it contained a couple of jars of homemade apple butter. You can guess what the inside of the box looked like. Everything in the box was covered with apple butter! The last several boxes that we have received have been damaged in some way! We no longer ship anything with the USPS.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
It's people, not the institution. There are numerous videos of FedEx, UPS, and even DHL employees drop kicking, punching, throwing, and even stealing/opening stuff from boxes. Sorry about your luck and thankfully you insured it. Only reporting it and letting the company do their investigation will eventually get the person fired/tossed.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I get that you're upset, but things happen. Was there a damage explanation note on the box when it arrived from USPS? I wouldn't be so quick to accuse someone at the U.S Post Office of theft when you have absolutely no idea how the box was damaged :confused: Could have been caught in machinery, crushed by a shifting load while in the air or depending on how it was mailed mishandled in Germany before it even made it to USPS.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
First off, you don't know where the damage occurred - it's a long trip from Germany to the US. Secondly, the package was insured in case something like this happened. So really, what's the problem?

*** edit - I was posting when zofchak was posting and mirrored some thoughts ***

My company works with every postal administration in the world every day - it's our business. I can guarantee you that the USPS is without a doubt the finest in the world. Second is not even close.

·
proud to be a.......
8,874 Posts
I can guarantee you that the USPS is without a doubt the finest in the world. Second is not even close.
:confused:......Is that why they are billions of dollars in debt?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wow some of you guys think its alright to have a box damaged like that?I would think any company wouldn't like to see that as I know our customers don't like to get damaged product.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
Received a package when a lighter sent for service /repair was shipped back towards me.
One facility stamped it package received damaged. Another facility marked it , received damaged contents missing. Now was the Zippo address a clue?Funny it happened on repaired side,50-50 chance maybe,no.
The carrier knew where package came from damaged at one point right?
Yes I complained. Sentimental reasons.
I do treat my local carrier with respect and cookies and verbal well wishes.
When and if U.S.P.S. polices itself more perhaps less damage and theft will occur.
Shipping from Germany from a friend in the service had it's problems too.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
Does the USPS even ship anymore? I know they use a lot of independent shippers. I see UPS trucks all the time at our local PO.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
These are minorities of employees and not meant to represent the majority of those folks who do care about their customers. But if it helps O.P. to know he is not alone...

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts

If you only had a hint of the politics involved in running the postal service you'd begin to understand. No taxpayer dollars for funding for starters along with prefunding billions of dollars in retirement benefits. And then there's email and electronic bill payments ......

Look to the north, Canada is in the process of eliminating home delivery in the next few years. Citizens will have to pick up their mail at "community mail boxes" if they want their mail. Trust me, we're spoiled.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Wow some of you guys think its alright to have a box damaged like that?I would think any company wouldn't like to see that as I know our customers don't like to get damaged product.

Who said it was ok? **** happens. Simple logic says that if you handle a few million packages, some will get destroyed. That's why there's insurance for valuables.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts

Most of us aren't saying it's alright, we're saying stuff happens and that's why we have insurance on things like this. The bigger issue is people expecting things to be so perfect in an imperfect world. It sucks, I've had it happen to me and I was majorly bummed. It even caused me inconveniences. But life went on.

We had a sales rep at work pack his laptop in his checked luggage (very stupid). And guess what? It was stolen. He didn't go blaming the airline. He reported it and they traced the path of his luggage and caught a baggage handler stealing A LOT of stuff. People just weren't reporting it. The guy was arrested and we got our laptop back. My point is...stuff happens, you adjust, and carry on.

Now, if half the USPS packages were showing up like this, then yes, USPS has a problem, but it was one out of many? One bad apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The thing is that all boxes i shipped through a haulage firm were shipped without a problem.
The second i ship three boxes with usps one of them is broken, but nothing is missing,
the second one is beaten to death and 90% of my personal items and belongings are missing
and the third one didnt even arrive yet.

Thats piss poor service in my book.

I will move on and adapt but for now i reserve the right to be angry and point all my fingers to anybody who i paid to handle my personal belongings!

I paid somebody to deliver three boxes from point A to point B. I can not think of a single incident were it would be OK to be neglectful enough so a customers item is being destroyed like that.

Mechanical error? Give me a break! Then be more careful putting my box in the machine or loading it in a crate, container, mounted messenger, carrier pigeon, i dont care.
If you see that a box has a crack, dont reach in and take out what you want!

All i see is that the perfectly intact box i sent away arrived as shown in the pictures. The job i paid for was not done right. Items i use to own, i dont own anymore because a third party handled them. Thats what theft is in my book.

Im not asking for pitty or explanations here. I just want to blow of steam and share my experience.

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
How are you so sure it happened on the American side? At work, we had a huge problem with packages getting damaged going into Germany. Allot of Germans are very nationalistic and hate Americans, especially auto companies and military personnel, and will sabotage packages. To solve our problem, all the samples we send to German auto suppliers, we now do not include the companies name on the paper work. We just use our personal names. Since it no longer shows an American auto supplier on the box or paperwork, we haven't had any issues since. :16suspect

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I am pretty sure you have seen some of the replies regarding your question. Keep in mind that congress required (not a request) that the USPS fund retirement etc for the next several decades ahead of time. If they had done that to one of the auto companies or even WalMart all hell would have broken out. But, it was OK to do it to the USPS and then we get people saying that it is the USPS is at fault for operating at a lose without explaining why. Do some basic searching on the net for many articles explaining what happened to the USPS several years ago.

Does the USPS even ship anymore? I know they use a lot of independent shippers. I see UPS trucks all the time at our local PO.
Oh yes, the USPS does ship and does it every day. They do such a good job of it that UPS uses the postal service. Not the other way around. UPS trucks are there to drop the packages off so that the post office can deliver them the next day. The post office does it cheaper and more efficiently than UPS can and UPS knows it.

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
Have you run your tracking numbers?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts