Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@Shoeman, thank you.

It was very cool of you to reach out and let me call you to talk about how great a site Michigan Sportsman is which made me of course want to come back. It is a great site, particularly when we focus on the “Sportsman” interests about which the site is meant to focus upon.

So here I am, posting this in a section of the site that has been drama free, the spey section where only those interested in spey fishing tend to post.

As far as my drama on Thursday/Friday making troll posts...It’s been a long 11 months of juggling craziness. Seeing the old posts state the same stuff over and over again led me to be a little cagey and stir the pot. It was dumb and irrational. I’m sincerely sorry.

Instead of having the fishing trips I like to take as an outlet to help deal with a year of challenges, I started thinking about buying stuff. Maybe a car, maybe a boat. Maybe those would bring me the happiness I’m not getting while all the trips I like to take get cancelled. The car won’t. The boat, yes but finding time will be tough.

So many have lost so much from Covid and so many are dealing with real struggles on top of a crap year. These complaints are petty frustrations in the long run but are frustrations nonetheless.

In April 2020 we were going to go to Sanibel for me to show my son one of my favorite places and we were going to family fish the middle Keys one day and then I was going to get a flats day. Then late June 2020 we were going to Banff for my wife to run and a day of fly fishing. Then late January 2021 I was headed back to Argentina to catch Atlantic Ocean running seaforallen strain brown trout up to 25 pounds on spey rods. Covid ended those trips, or hopefully postponed them.

To @Steve and @sureshot006, please accept my apologies for being a jerk. To @plugger , thank you for the nice things you said in one of the threads discussing the new format.

I’m going to try and stick much more to fishing. The luxury of having a day or week dedicated to thinking mainly about fishing for me helps clarify what needs to be done back in the real world, those days we aren’t out fishing. Those magical days when we’re surrounded by beauty, the incomparable fun of hooking fish and get clarity and elevation of spirit by being outside immersed in happiness.
A reminder of some of the happiness chased in the last 6 years. Hoping to put a spey event together in Newaygo soon but all the snow we have is going to make for interesting water levels once it melts.

Thank you and tight lines. By the way, the new photo uploading system is great:

Casting into 35 mph wind on the Rio Gallegos, January 2019

Sunrise, Western Alaska, August 2016. My favorite time to fish is the 2 hours after it’s barely light enough to see. This morning the river was too high to wade safely solo. I figured out my 2 toughest challenges of that year in the hour with nothing to do but watch the sun come up and the tundra birds already flying south.

Cloud Sky Tent Ecoregion Highland

Danish beer after a long 3 day trip to get from Michigan to the Kangia River in Greenland where I’d be introduced to spey casting which is now my favorite way to fish. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
@OH-YEAH!!! - Glad you’re back! I was pretty close to finding myself in the same spot this week after another member left a crap comment to me. Ultimately decided it wasn’t worth my time or giving the mods another mess to clean up.

Besides, if I get the ban-hammer I wouldn’t be able to continue the annual ice-fishing Flasher vs Sonar feud with @sfw1960 and I’m completely crushing him this year! 🤣 Seriously Robert, do you even fish anymore? #TeamMeatGrinder out.

Mike

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
And let that be a gentle lesson to you, and everyone. It's been a tough year. Better days are ahead. Paddy's day is in a month, so Steelhead are probably starting to trickle into lower sections of rivers right now. Ice fishing for Steelhead, right now?

I think Spey Casting from an anchored boat is probably a good way to fish for Salmon, and Steelhead - so you might need TWO boats. One for communing with nature on rivers, and one to blow your cares away with the family on big water. And you can't just have 2 boats on trailers sitting in your yard, so you need some lakefront/riverfront property. And a pole barn.

·
Premium Member
14,904 Posts
It’s been a trying year for a lot of people Some have acted differently then they normally would but when you take a deep dive into yourself, sometimes it gives you a better focus on life and what really is important. A lot of great people on here who help out others a lot.

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So does this mean other people who were quite popular and banned get a 2nd chance if they are friends with a moderator?
The thing Ralf and I did discuss was that some people post to try and help each other with outdoor pursuits and with things beyond the outdoors. Some people post just to be a negative force.

So, maybe there’s that. Do they contribute to the site more than cause trouble?

The saying “you give more than you get” is true. We did our Valentine’s Day celebration yesterday. We took our 6 year old because finding a sitter Valentine’s weekend is impossible. He was on strict orders to be good and he was great. I’d been thinking about getting something for myself just because I have been feeling bored. My wife is the most immaterial person I know and she always says “no” when I ask “would you like a...”

So, yesterday work took me to Zeeland. I went into the downtown for lunch and saw a jeweler. I walked in and said “what should I get my wife?” The nice lady asked “what does she like?” I said “something simple and sparkly.”

So we looked at earrings and saw an ok pair. “Something a little more sparkly?” We found a pair that were actually really nice but overpriced. “I know you provide a service and it’s nice to be able to walk in for service. But these would be 40 percent less online and I know it’s not fair to comparison shop with a website, but it’s the truth.” So I got the 25 pct off that put them in the retail/reasonable range and I said “if you take American Express, sold.” The salesclerk happily laughed. I asked “Are you the owner?” She said “No, but it’s been a great day. I sold a bridal set a half hour ago.”

Well, after a couple more client appointments I walked in the door at home. I had my wife’s favorite for Valentine’s Day - a DQ Blizzard. She told me about their day. One of her friends from high school is going a really hard time with their husband because he’s just angry all the time despite both not being affected by Covid in their jobs. He’s just being overbearing it sounds like. So my wife spent a chunk of her Saturday in kind of a dark place with someone she cares about going through a family crisis. It’s a heavy burden to share in someone else’s.

So, I took out the cute card and tiny box and said “Well, in addition to the Dairy Queen, I finally got you something really nice.”

She opened the card and then the box. She was just as thrilled as the lady who made the sale. In terms of the things I was considering buying with the money - either a Rizzini or Beretta over/under, a watch, a top notch dog like a Nova Scotia Duck Toller, a super light Kevlar kayak, none of them would’ve made me as happy as giving my wife those earrings. She was thrilled.

There was an ask to help someone who could benefit from a handicap ATV type chair on tracks. It felt good to help someone in need. Ralf’s talk with me about how Michigan Sportsman at its best is a network of hunters and fishermen who can add to each others’ lives through a shared love of the outdoors made me think about the spirit of helping others and I don’t always do that at home or on the website.

I happen to love fly fishing and do have help to give. I guess maybe we can try and do that with whichever aspect of being “Sportsmen” makes us happiest.

Have a good day.

Me at our dinner yesterday making my wife and kid laugh because I took their bet to “eat a lemon” for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
And let that be a gentle lesson to you, and everyone. It's been a tough year. Better days are ahead. Paddy's day is in a month, so Steelhead are probably starting to trickle into lower sections of rivers right now. Ice fishing for Steelhead, right now?

I think Spey Casting from an anchored boat is probably a good way to fish for Salmon, and Steelhead - so you might need TWO boats. One for communing with nature on rivers, and one to blow your cares away with the family on big water. And you can't just have 2 boats on trailers sitting in your yard, so you need some lakefront/riverfront property. And a pole barn.
Ice fishing for steelhead?? What ever happened to Robert Holmes?

·
Registered
22,770 Posts
Unsolicited advice for those who can fish wondering if a particular purchase will make things feel better.
Quietly scheme. Plan an attack.
Arrive on site ready.
Sneak. But take in the environment while stalking.
I've retired flyrod. Well flyreels for now. Spay rod? Oh my , yous guys... But hey , enjoy!
Anyways once you're on or near the X and reading conditions and the water...price no longer matters.
What you could have no longer matters.
What matters is what you have. And if you're reading right. And presenting well enough.
Then somewhere between right away and eventually , fish on!!
Others may care. But if it's an eight inch trout that pouts before being released , I'm so far from what might make me happy it's no longer a consideration. I'm admiring a fish. Kind of a distraction . As it swims off I'm looking for the next one.
Not seeing it does not mean it does not exist. That sliding seam over there is tailing out just right.
And prior there was enough of a tree branch laying near there to sun in. Ohhh! A miss...

It's there folks.
A particular water. An unparticular water. With many waters beyond. Choose one or more for the next assault.
A specimen of a fish type. Or many specimens , and or types.
No matter what's going on in the world out of the water. It's still there waiting. Well , not waiting like you are expected to visit. That's on you.

Can't or won't go today but need a distraction?
Let me repeat.
Quietly scheme.
Plan an attack.

Welcome back Oh-Yeah.
(Behave dammit.)

Reactions: OH-YEAH!!!

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
As in? Me personally don’t object to anyone, yet some that have agenda to disrupt the above mentioned fabric

I don't know or care if it was you but as the man once said...if the shoe (no pun intended) fits, wear it. And I don't care one way or the other if Oh Yeah is back but its unfair to others who have been banned to see him returned. It reeks of hypocrisy to allow a banned member to return because of friendship. I've been here for around 15 years and have never seen this happen before and there have been a lot of good people banned for what they wrote. Whats good for one should be good for all.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Welcome back oh-yeah, glad to see the mods let ya back as well. Good in them.

Reactions: OH-YEAH!!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I
I don't know or care if it was you but as the man once said...if the shoe (no pun intended) fits, wear it. And I don't care one way or the other if Oh Yeah is back but its unfair to others who have been banned to see him returned. It reeks of hypocrisy to allow a banned member to return because of friendship. I've been here for around 15 years and have never seen this happen before and there have been a lot of good people banned for what they wrote. Whats good for one should be good for all.
I don't spend the time on here as some, but most of the guys I can think of who got the boot really needed to go. Most of them came on here for the sole purpose of starting a pissin' match and offered nothing positive to the membership. Paul might have had a bad hair day, for which he is obviously trying to put behind him, so why not keep him around?

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I

I don't spend the time on here as some, but most of the guys I can think of who got the boot really needed to go. Most of them came on here for the sole purpose of starting a pissin' match and offered nothing positive to the membership. Paul might have had a bad hair day, for which he is obviously trying to put behind him, so why not keep him around?
I was wondering why so many who don’t post in the fly fishing or Spey forums were posting here. I appreciate the support from those saying nice things. I really did post I’m the Spey corner to avoid debate/drama but then saw this thread is being featured on the Forums landing page.:rolleyes:

Anyway, have a great Sunday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.