Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sitting here reading and making some posts and have the TV on watching Dirty Jobs on The Discovery Channel. I just saw an ad for Survivorman. At the end it said "Tune in this week for the series finale".

Thank God! I can't stand that show. I don't believe for a second that it's not staged. Overall though TDC has some pretty good programming. I'd say for the most part my TV viewing is The Discovery Channel, The History Channel, or The Science Channel.

John

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm gonna miss it :sad: I give Les credit and he is one heck of a musician. Thats got to be tough on the body as he stated for his reason to end the series. Although he has eaten pretty well this season;)

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
At least that show was better than "Man vs Wild" !!! Talk about being stagged......:16suspect
:lol:uhhhhhh yeah, it was staged... every episode says so before it starts... so:lol:

man vz wild > then survivor man...

ok here i am in the middle of no where w/ my car full of gas, a lighter, a gun, a weeks worth of col cuts, a few beers and plenty of cloathing... oh yeah and a fishing pole and a phone... heres how im going to survive...:rolleyes: horrible

at least bear used nothing to make something... and truely shows us how to "survived" on nature...

either way i could care less if either show ever continued, but even less care goes to SM... that guys show just plain sucked.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Did you see the show where bear shows how to float down river, but you can clearly see a life vest under his coat? Check out the Discovery channel forum, tons of facts like that...
Maybe they should do a new based here in michigan on how to survive in this economy :D

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
:lol:uhhhhhh yeah, it was staged... every episode says so before it starts... so:lol:

man vz wild > then survivor man...

ok here i am in the middle of no where w/ my car full of gas, a lighter, a gun, a weeks worth of col cuts, a few beers and plenty of cloathing... oh yeah and a fishing pole and a phone... heres how im going to survive...:rolleyes: horrible

at least bear used nothing to make something... and truely shows us how to "survived" on nature...

either way i could care less if either show ever continued, but even less care goes to SM... that guys show just plain sucked.
Yeah, Bear was caught sleeping in Hotels and Eating at fine resturants while "Filming" Man vs Wild. Tried to get away with it but was caught, so now he has the disclaimer on.
The only thing he's relying on now is eating gross crap. He's really taken that to a new level for "shock" value this season.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I like that show a lot actually. I don't believe it is staged for the most part...he does his own camera work and doesn't have a crew with him, i give him a lot of credit for that.

Yeah, a lot of stuff is coming out about Bear's show and how staged it is, which is really unfortunate...

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, who was forcing you against your will to watch it?
Nobody is. I don't watch it. I've tried and hated it. My wife and son would have this show or M v W on once in a while and I can't figure out why so I'd go in the other room and use the other set. The only point to my post was that I'm glad it's going away. I'm hoping they come up with something more entertaining to fill its spot.

John

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I like both shows, Its TV..its a SHOW get over it... of course some of it is staged and it would be. Many people like both shows because its different from reg.TV

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm just sitting here reading and making some posts and have the TV on watching Dirty Jobs on The Discovery Channel. I just saw an ad for Survivorman. At the end it said "Tune in this week for the series finale".

Thank God! I can't stand that show. I don't believe for a second that it's not staged. Overall though TDC has some pretty good programming. I'd say for the most part my TV viewing is The Discovery Channel, The History Channel, or The Science Channel.

John
Here's an idea.....dont watch it and when it comes on, they invented this little thing that fits in your hand called the channel changer.......use it

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Actually that LES Fella makes no secret he has a saftey team within a mile of his location his show is more about education and survival than trying to make you think that he is in an actually emergency.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts

John

Your not getting the jist of the show.

It's supposed to be how to survive in everyday situations that turn bad. For example, getting stuck in the snow in the middle of nowhere and using what's at hand to survive etc..........

I've learned ALOT from this show. Les is very good at what he does.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If some one watching those shows ever got into a bad situation and used what they learned by watching and it saved thier life...then I guess that the piont of of the show being "staged" is moot...

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
A bit hokey, but I enjoyed the show. Was not a fan of man vs wild.

I did pick up a bit here and there, but as for the Discovery Channel, Ilearned more from Myth Busters.:)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
at least bear used nothing to make something... and truely shows us how to "survived" on nature....
Yeah, I hear the Holiday Inn is really roughing it. :p

Bear also takes some risky chances that people shouldn't attempt.

"See this 300 foot high rock face? Well, instead of walking 3 miles around, I'm going to scale down it with nothing but my shoe lace..."

[operator] 911 - what's your emergency?
[cameraman] - ummm yeah, we're going to need a life-flight helicopter over here...

And lately, doesn't it sound more like a Billy Mays pitch to buy his Official Bear Grylls Approved Survival Knife? I wonder if the secret decoder ring is included. :lol:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Sorry John. The show will probably be back. Les is leaving the show to do other things and because the weight gain and loss is taking its toll on him. Bulking up for the show then not eating for days is wearing thin.

I imagine TDC will fill his spot with another survivorman as it seems to do pretty well in the ratings.

I do watch the show and enjoy it. More for the scenery and locations than to watch him eat grubs and roots for five days. I also enjoy the fact that he fails at many of the tasks and isn't afraid to show it. Figure Four deadfalls and snares don't always work as well as the books say and are more dificult to set up than most expect.

Overall its one of those shows where you just have to pick out the bones. Not everything he does will be needed but it you come away with a tip or two that might make a bad day in the woods (lost, unexpected storm, injury) a bit more bareable, all the better.

Chris

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Actually that LES Fella makes no secret he has a saftey team within a mile of his location his show is more about education and survival than trying to make you think that he is in an actually emergency.
I agree that Survivor man at least educates you on things to expect in the area. If you watch one of the "behind the scenes" shows, you will see that he spends a good amount of time in an area before he tapes a show, learning from locals or other survival experts on edible plants, terrain, weather, etc. He does the leg work for normal Joe's to just watch the show and take something away from it. I sure do like it more than any of the other reality shows they have out there.

Like RonL said, man vs. wild, the guy shows up on a beach "out in the middle of nowhere" and finds piles and piles of garbage that he can use for his "survival". I believe I also saw the episode that he could either walk down this gradual mountain, or repel down the rock face, using a tree to aid his climb that was breaking as he went down. Thats a great suggestion to use for survival.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts