Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though the season has long since past us, I thought I'd post the pics from my Texas deer hunt from december 26-30th. The Cattle ranch we went to was owned by a friend of my dads who manages it intensly for big whitetails. By selective harvest he only shoots bucks that are 5 1/2 or older or bucks that aren't showing good antler genetics. Although very late in the season, I was excited to say the least. They had seen a very old buck that had odd coloration, it wasn't a monster but they felt it was past its peak. Also they had at least 3 "cull" bucks they wanted out of the herd that were not getting as big as they should. I hunted hard for 3 days and saw a tremendous amount of deer including some jaw-dropping 8-12 pointers that were still too young to take (3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old). Then I harvested a dandy 8 point that was 3 1/2. This buck was one of the "cull" bucks that was "too small". I was elated as it was a monster in my book. Then the next morning the grandpa we had been looking for showed up, a 9 point that was aged at 6 1/2 years old. It was an awesome hunt and I couldn't believe the amount of deer and big bucks we saw. QDM works there, I'm a believer. Anyways here are the pics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts