Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two ES's that are FDSB registered. My oldest does not retrieve. Is there a venue in which to test a dog like this?

Jim

·
Registered
971 Posts
Try a Ruffed Grouse Society Fun Hunt. Although dogs are scored on retrieving which will make you less competitive the trials are a great time. Have a good time and talk bird dogs with other like souls it doesn't get much better than that. Mike Mc Donald

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, been there done that (haven't ya read the latest issue of RGS). I plan to continue to run my dogs in these because I had a blast. I was thinking more along the lines of Utility tests or the AKC hunter tests.

Jim Chase

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I think they do it every year but the Michigan field trial club(?)has a hunting dog stake up to the Gladwin field trials grounds on wild birds. Judgement ceases at the flush, just bust a cap in your blank gun and off ya go to find another birdy.
I ran my dog Jack in it a couple weeks ago, fun times.
If you go next year you would be the 2nd Ryman type dog there. :D

Can you run AKC events if your dog si not AKC registered? (Question to the masses)

Jim how about having Jake force fetched?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think they do it every year but the Michigan field trial club(?)has a hunting dog stake up to the Gladwin field trials grounds on wild birds. Judgement ceases at the flush, just bust a cap in your blank gun and off ya go to find another birdy.

Can you run AKC events if your dog si not AKC registered? (Question to the masses)

Hey Scott. How did your Jack do compared to all the other "non" Ryman dogs? Did he hold his own? Lots of people think our Rymans can't hunt. Humpf.... I disagree. They may not be all flashy, but what they lack in style they make up in personality and charm. :coolgleam

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I was there too and it was a very good time. The MAFTC has two hunting dog stakes, one in the early spring (snowed-out this year) and the one in the late summer that Scott and I were in.
http://www.maftc.org/

I have yet to run my dogs in one, but I believe that there are no American Field-sanctioned coverdog trials that require retrieving (basicly, it's all wild birds except for pups and derbies to a degree). They do however, require the dog to be steady to shot for the shooting dog division.

I'm even more of a second hander on this but the U.S Complete organization doesn't require retrieving either.
http://www.uscomplete.org/

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Last year, I ran my little dog against a pretty good sized Ryman. I think my dog actually ran under her at one point. I don't think any one believes Rymans cant hunt. It is more like they are a Cadillac and a field bred setter is a Corvette. Both are nice but I would rather drive a corvette until I get old. Really old!:lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last year, I ran my little dog against a pretty good sized Ryman. I think my dog actually ran under her at one point. I don't think any one believes Rymans cant hunt. It is more like they are a Cadillac and a field bred setter is a Corvette. Both are nice but I would rather drive a corvette until I get old. Really old!:lol:

DOH!!! What you got against a Cadillac? 1959 was a very good year. :coolgleam

Attachments

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Hey Scott. How did your Jack do compared to all the other "non" Ryman dogs?
I can only compare to the dog that he was braced with, a coverdog bred setter owned by MS'er Mudbat.
Both dogs pointed birds, my dog ripped a couple birds, both handlers made mistakes. Justin's dog was a little wider than Jack but that was about it. Personally I think both dogs are nice and have tailgates full of grouse killed over them each Fall.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, the maftc sounds like a good time and I may try that.
I also wondered if a non-AKC pup would be allowed to take the AKC hunt tests.

Jim

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Cadillac, or a Ryman.

I really like Rymans, Some of my friends have them. Here is a picture of one in action.
:lol:;):evilsmile

Oh you're an evil man. Now that one really hurts. I hope my Ryman wasn't looking at the screen when this popped up. Don't you know you go straight to hell on a bobsled for being mean to a dog?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott, I had thought about that before and mentioned it on another BB where there are a lot of Ryman owners and was severly critisized for even thinking such a thing. Some thought that trying to FF a "soft" dog could lead to him not wanting to hunt (or something like that).

Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of Utility tests or the AKC hunter tests.
I don't know about the AKC test, but the utility would be impossible to pass with a dog that couldn't retrieve. They're judged on retrieves in the field, they have a track to do in which they have to retrieve, and they also have a water retrieve.

·
Registered
247 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, you can not enter a non-registered AKC dog in an AKC hunt test. On the premium, the paper that you sign to enter your dog, they specifically ask for the AKC registration number. Therefore, I am almost positive that you can not run your dog in an AKC hunt test without AKC registration. Anybody else that can back up what I am saying???

Also, there are AKC field trial stakes that don't require retrieving but the dog needs to be AKC registered (You may walk any field trial although most handlers use horses, which sometimes you can rent at the grounds. Other stakes are stictly walking).

Check into the American Field, I'm not sure that they require retrieving. I think that they are similar to AKC field trials but the stakes are longer, usually 1 hour as opposed to 30 minutes. To enter your dog in the American Field stakes, you can either be AKC or field dog stud book registered. These stakes are also usually run on horseback.

On the topic of FF, my personal opinion is that this "bolds-up" a dog. If you have a timid dog, I definitely recommend this training. However, with that being said, you definitely need to KNOW your dog's personality and know how to train it appropriately. Yes, you can ruin a timid dog by going too fast but if you're training at the right speed and you know what you're doing, a timid dog will gain loads of confidence going through FF. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
If your dog is spayed or neutered, you can get an ILP listing with the AKC. You send in a photo of your dog, a spay/neuter statement from your vet, and a few $$$, and you have an ILP.

Good for any event with AKC -except conformation shows.

But retrieving is usually required at some point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If your dog is spayed or neutered, you can get an ILP listing with the AKC. You send in a photo of your dog, a spay/neuter statement from your vet, and a few $$$, and you have an ILP.

Good for any event with AKC -except conformation shows.

But retrieving is usually required at some point.
I'm never against learning something new. Thanks GSPgal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts