Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walt and fish in my boat. When trolling I like to use my Terrova for its auto pilot feature. Last time out, it did not stay running. Batteries are newer and were fully charged. When turned on it would go off in just a second or two. We had to steer the boat from the helm. I looked at it today and got it to run at lower speeds, but when turning it up to 8 or 9 on the foot pedal it would stop. It only restarted when I lowered the speed again.
Has anyone else experienced this with their motor? Would love to learn of a quick easy fix. Thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe you have a loose connection . That causes overload when it heats up. I would start with plugin , then battery cables Just a thought , I chase snags with mind on rabbit never had an issue .

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had same problem with my power drive. I have a small breaker on my positive terminal just before the battery. It would trip it when I powered motor above 6. Ended up getting new one & never had any issues again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had eradicate actions opened it up and water all in there had to replace all seals bushes and brush holders ( FYI if you ever take it apart the 2 long bolts holding it together are different lengths)

·
Registered
123 Posts
make sure all connection are ok. If that is ok take it to Lockman hardware they are the best at fixing minn kota.
313-842-0268 call them they may be able help over the phone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had same or similar issue. Mine would hold at 5 or less but no more than that without shutting off. Also the anchor system would not stay locked on. Although all 4 red lights came in when I hit the test button it turns out one of my batteries had a short and was completely dead. Once replaced it runs like a champ. Might be worth checking the volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had same or similar issue. Mine would hold at 5 or less but no more than that without shutting off. Also the anchor system would not stay locked on. Although all 4 red lights came in when I hit the test button it turns out one of my batteries had a short and was completely dead. Once replaced it runs like a champ. Might be worth checking the volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Check each cell in the batteries if you can

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had same problem with my power drive. I have a small breaker on my positive terminal just before the battery. It would trip it when I powered motor above 6. Ended up getting new one & never had any issues again.
I had the same problem with my breaker. The boat came pre-wired with a breaker that couldn't meets the needs of the terrova. I replaced mine too and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried several of the ideas given here. Just checked the amperage on battery. Looks bad so will have it checked out.
Thanks for all the responses. You guys are great!!
If this does not work, I may have to check with Lockmans.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I have tried several of the ideas given here. Just checked the amperage on battery. Looks bad so will have it checked out.
Did you replace the breaker on your positive cable? You can get one at the auto parts store. That's what it sounds like.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it. They'll do it for free and you'll know if you can rule that out in ten minutes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Found that one of the batteries went bad, so an easy fix. Next time I'll check that first. The unfortunate thing, the battery store did not have a replacement. Robbed one from the other boat, for now.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Found that one of the batteries went bad, so an easy fix. Next time I'll check that first. The unfortunate thing, the battery store did not have a replacement. Robbed one from the other boat, for now.
It's always best to replace all the batteries at once. Adding a new battery with an older one can cause issues with charging.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 19 of 19 Posts