Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever hunt down in tennessee? i go there to visit the inlaws every may / june and was thinking early april would be better. i talked to the guy at the gun store in dickson but he didnt know much about leases there. it seems they dont do leasing very much. i cant seem to find a busy forum ( like MS) for the state either. anyone have any expeiriance in the volunteer state?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i have never hunted down there but might be getting a job down there so i could use some info too

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hunted in Bowling Green KY just north of TN. Awesome turkey hunting in that area.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Haven't hunted down there in four years now, but did go regularly for several years to southern Tennessee, which they called the "golden triangle" of Tennesse turkey hunting.

If that was the golden area, I don't want to see the poor areas. Sure, there were birds, but no more than just about anywhere in southern Michigan these days.

There are hunters, lots of them, everywhere. Landowners don't have to buy licenses, so nobody does. Very little to no public land, lots of trespassers in the better areas, and the birds get very quiet very early.

There's also ticks, lots of them. Wood ticks mostly. Dog ticks, too.

The really good news-last license I bought cost me $175...sure, you can take some ridiculous number of birds like five...but if you hunted every single day of the pretty long season, that would still be a pot shot...and the number of turkeys just doesn't justify that high a bag limit.

I killed a really nice gobbler down there four years ago, my third in Tennessee, and decided that if I want to travel to turkey hunt in the spring, I'll go somewhere that has more birds, cheaper licenses, and fewer hunters. There's a lot of places like that.

Very pretty down there in early April, tho...and that's the latest I would go. As soon as it warms up, the snakes come out...and it can get really hot in southern Tennessee about half way through the season.

There was a forum...TNturkey.com...or something like...haven't been to it in a couple of years now, since I bought the new PC and lost the URL

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
There are hunters, lots of them, everywhere. and the birds get very quiet very early.

URL
Was there once and agree, southern turkeys are a different bird that is for sure..

·
Registered
29 Posts
anyone ever hunt down in tennessee? i go there to visit the inlaws every may / june and was thinking early april would be better. i talked to the guy at the gun store in dickson but he didnt know much about leases there. it seems they dont do leasing very much. i cant seem to find a busy forum ( like MS) for the state either. anyone have any expeiriance in the volunteer state?
Im from Michigan and moved here to tn 20 years ago, ( west of nashville) my woods is full of turkeys, we kill several each year,my kids really put the hurt on them, here are some of tennessee turkey pics. .

·
Registered
29 Posts
in tennessee, there is leases, large ones west of nashville,most are Q.D.M. and they produce some whoppers. But there are many many small farms west of Nashville you can ask permission, as well, focus on hickman and dickson counties. lots of good hunting and friendly people that will say "yes" to hunting.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Is there any deer hunting down there? and does anyone know good fishing spots around memphis?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have hunted birds in TN 4 times. The first trip I was on birds every day, but came back empty-handed. The next trip I killed one (and he was a gift from a guy who is now a close friend, who has taught me more about killing turkeys than I probably should admit:D ), the next trip I killed two, and the last time I went I killed 4 in the first 4 days of their season (I guess my teacher down there did his job:D ).

I was into a lot of birds on every trip, but to quote a buddy of mine down there, "it ain't "yankee flatland, you gotta work for 'em down here!" If you're out of shape, stay home.

The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, the tea is sweet, and I worked my tail off. I wouldn't trade those hunts or the people I met down there for anything in the world:)

Oh, and tnturkey.com is full of great folks;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Although my TN experience seems to have been a lot different than Linda's, I do agree whole-heartedly with her on one point; it is A LOT EASIER to kill turkeys out my back door than it is to kill them anyplace I've been in TN.

Michigan has done an awesome job with the flock down here. I've hunted turkeys in a lot of places, and right now southern Michigan is phenomenal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
hunted down there last year for the first time, i killed my four birds, but i hunted every day for seven days, in some miserable conditions. one morning there was frost on the ground, then the next day it was raining and dime size hail up on this top i was hunting. from one extreme to the next. you gotta work to kill them down there hard cause its not flat land that for sure.
the top i hunted on was something like 550ft of elevation difference from the driveway to the spot i hunted and it was an 80. it wasnt easy but i had a hell of a good time. AND THE TICKS SUCK but you get use to looking for them on you every night, just get them before they get you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts