Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maybe in the market for a tractor shortly. I have been looking around and seeing everything from the compacts to the older 2wd tractors. I don't have a preference other than I would like a front loader that is actually capable. We rented one a while back and it seemed underpowered for the bucket. It ran off the same hydro as the trans and if you were trying to move the bucket had zero power.

I would like something that would be a good general tractor for the property and be decent at pulling logs, loader capability and food plotting. I don't need anything super special, just more general purpose.

What am I looking for? Independent hydros? Shuttle drive (IDK exactly what that is)?

I have found some older ones for <10K that seem like they would do well. More in line with what I have experience with around my Uncles place.

The sale isn't final yet, but we are getting closer so I am just trying to educate myself at this point. I am curious as to others experiences in what they liked or disliked.

Edit: I am not stuck in a price range, depending on what would fit my needs and wants is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think it depends on the area you are working and what you are going to ask of it. I have a Workmaster 33 New Holland and a 60" rear tiller. I have removed some impressively large trees and root clusters with it. Albeit some take considerable time and effort. As well as some large rocks (5' x 2' x 2' ish.) It is all hydro. I love the ease use. After using it once, my wife said "how did we ever live without one of these". It is easy enough to drive through the woods without a defined trail but big enough... If you are driving it longer distances it is SLOW, like 8 mph top speed. Might be related to hydro drive (I have limited experience). After owning it a couple years, I kinda wish it had a mid/front PTO for a front mounting snowblower and a cab... power for tiller is awesome and will kick bowling ball size rocks out no problem...

Additional to other "musts" that have been listed - 4x4. Can't tell you the number of sticky situations I have been in that wouldn't have been possible without that.

Kinda wished it had a beverage holder...:unsure:

·
Registered
19,172 Posts
Hydro trans costs power. Varies by tractor but figure roughly 5 H.P. off the top of drawbar rating.
I'm all for it though.
Just don't buy a 25 H.P. hydro tractor. and expect 25 H.P. at drawbar. For that matter , quit looking at 25 H.P..
Though thier price points will make you want to probably, there's a reason they show up for sale with low hours in the numbers they do.

Your wants and needs are yours and the terrain and condition of your habitat , and equipment /implements you'll want to use with a tractor.
Sometimes two tractors works out better.

But.....35 H.P. diesel or bigger is where I'd point you to start.
4W.D. trumps 2 W.D..

I run tiny H.P.. would I run bigger? L.o.l.. With a sponsor , you bet!

Looking at used so long , those that catch my eye for me (not saying for you) start around thirty grand.
I would keep my smaller ones too though if I could get away with it.. ( Not only due to being more nimble and suited for lighter work. I just like them.)

A thousand hours or more on a tractor (no offense to high milers) does not appeal at all to me.
Seen a good brand engine conk around there.
And how many hours can even a good engine be hammered on with no ill effect, IF it's been well maintained...

There's a place I peek at now and then with tractors averaging roughly under 700 hours.
Much as I'd like new , a sensible brief warranty assuring tractor is not junk , and I'd consider that route.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I like green also. Purchased my first (used) John Deere over 25 years ago. A gas powered engine with about 40 HP. Moved up to a JD 5400 (used) in 2007 - 68 HP Diesel, 4 wheel drive with a front end loader. I would recommend those 3 features (Diesel, 4 WD and FEL) as must have options. I wouldn't even blink an eye at a John Deere with 1,000 hours on it. My 1997 - 5400 had 2,000 hours on it when I purchased it in 2007. I now have 4,300 hours on it and other than routine maintenance the only repairs have been a water pump hose and new batteries every few years. It has never failed to start during the coldest winters and I use it for snow removal as well, however, my barn is fully insulated although unheated.

The only thing I haven't been able to lift so far was the steel for a 16'X72' lean to addition for my barn. We had to off load some of it before it could lift it off of the flatbed semi trailer.

Pallet loads of sod are no match for it:

You may have seen photos of my bucket filled with rocks, and with a fork lift attachment it lifts many other things as well.

4 row corn planter...

12' field cultivator - really - and with only 68 HP

How about spreading 26 tons of ag-lime - I had a little problem pulling a full load up a steep hill - but it made it.

110 gallon sprayer - piece of cake...

900# of fertilizer - no problem at all...

Of course it easily handles smaller implements as well...here is a 6' cultivator...

A small = 6' conventional drill...

and of course, my 6' no-till drill...

It would be real hard for me to purchase anything other than a John Deere although there are probably orange ones out there that are almost as good. 😀

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like green also. Purchased my first (used) John Deere over 25 years ago. A gas powered engine with about 40 HP. Moved up to a JD 5400 (used) in 2007 - 68 HP Diesel, 4 wheel drive with a front end loader. I would recommend those 3 features (Diesel, 4 WD and FEL) as must have options. I wouldn't even blink an eye at a John Deere with 1,000 hours on it. My 1997 - 5400 had 2,000 hours on it when I purchased it in 2007. I now have 4,300 hours on it and other than routine maintenance the only repairs have been a water pump hose and new batteries every few years. It has never failed to start during the coldest winters and I use it for snow removal as well, however, my barn is fully insulated although unheated.

The only thing I haven't been able to lift so far was the steel for a 16'X72' lean to addition for my barn. We had to off load some of it before it could lift it off of the flatbed semi trailer.

Pallet loads of sod are no match for it:

View attachment 777931

You may have seen photos of my bucket filled with rocks, and with a fork lift attachment it lifts many other things as well.

View attachment 777932

4 row corn planter...

View attachment 777933

12' field cultivator - really - and with only 68 HP

View attachment 777934

How about spreading 26 tons of ag-lime - I had a little problem pulling a full load up a steep hill - but it made it.

View attachment 777935

110 gallon sprayer - piece of cake...

View attachment 777936

900# of fertilizer - no problem at all...

View attachment 777937

Of course it easily handles smaller implements as well...here is a 6' cultivator...

View attachment 777938

A small = 6' conventional drill...

View attachment 777939

and of course, my 6' no-till drill...

View attachment 777940

It would be real hard for me to purchase anything other than a John Deere although there are probably orange ones out there that are almost as good. 😀

I seriously love how you take pics of everything! Lol

I have looked at a couple like yours as well. I honestly don't think I will ever run out of uses for it. Hell, I use my little lawn tractor in harder ways than most probably use a compact.

I am not scared to buy an older used tractor. They are stupid simple to fix. Maybe not always cheap, but easy none the less.

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen a few older Kubota's for what seemed to be reasonable.

I am just looking at what features to stay away from that might limit muscle. I very well might end up with a ~30-35 hp compact deal that comes with attachments. No matter which way I slice it, it'll be roughly 20k for a tractor and everything I want with it. Buying it in a package or one piece at a time.

Anyone see anything I am missing?

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A permission slip from the old lady?
She is totally on board. Lol

We have been talking about it for a while. She would use it as much as me. Landscaping chores would be MUCH easier, for her and I. It always starts out with me saying "I don't care babe, do whatever you want. But I don't want any part of it." to which she always agree. She knows and is ok with how much I hate landscaping, but I do love how it looks when complete and she loves it so she has free reign. But guess who always ends up being the muscle with, "Hey hunni, can you come help me real quick." Lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Where you looking up tractor listings? I’ve got an eye out for a similar type of rig.

How much ground you getting?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
She is totally on board. Lol

We have been talking about it for a while. She would use it as much as me. Landscaping chores would be MUCH easier, for her and I. It always starts out with me saying "I don't care babe, do whatever you want. But I don't want any part of it." to which she always agree. She knows and is ok with how much I hate landscaping, but I do love how it looks when complete and she loves it so she has free reign. But guess who always ends up being the muscle with, "Hey hunni, can you come help me real quick." Lol
Wow does that routine sound familiar. And I'm guessing the 'come help real quick' turns into 4 hours later....

I probably screwed up in buying a subcompact with a front loader several years ago...because my wife already gets all the use of it that she needs..landscaping and cleaning the chicken coop. For some reason she isn't thrilled about spending $20k on an upgrade. 🤷‍♂️ I try and pick my battles so I'll save this one for next year. Good luck, sounds like you are getting bit by the bug now that you have some land to toy around on.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
I've been starting my Kubota in the winter for snowblowing for several years without one. It always started just fine, but wasn't too happy about it at times. Just put a block heater in a few weeks ago.
Same here. I have an L2350. 3cyl diesel with glo plugs. Never really been an issue starting it but in sub 0 temps I have had to heat the glo plug for close to 60 seconds.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts