PTPD2312
Grapestomper
Maple_Ridge (Captain)
Unclebass
BUCK/PIKE
LoBrass
RMH
Dafalls

Team G5's! This is the official thread for our team, have fun! Best of luck this season and let's kick some tail!!!

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
Hey Men my name is Rich. I hunt Hillsdale Co. I hunt exclusively on over 300 acres of private land kitty corner from Sniper. The land has been strictly managed for whitetails for over 20 years. My goal is to kill minimum 10 does this season. Last year I ended the season with 7. The landowner took 11 does. Bucks....we got em....we're picky. Not one buck was taken off the property last season. The year before I took a nice (guessing 4.5 or 5.5 year old) 10 point that tipped the scales at 197 dressed.

I have a lot of fun hunting and never go hungry. Worked hard all summer on some great stand locations and added hunting out of a saddle for the first time this year with my bow on occasion!!

Good Luck Team G5s and lets knock em down for the win!!

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
Team #5 G5's

PTPD2312.........Andrew
Grapestomper.........Tom
Maple_Ridge (Captain)..........Don
Unclebass...........Matt
BUCK/PIKE........... Ian
LoBrass........... John
RMH............... Rich
Dafalls............ Chris Bear slayer!!!

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
Trail Cams just got put up a week or so ago. Around 14 of them......lol. Got one of our target bucks who earned the name Browmeister. Saw him twice last year while hunting. I didn't want to see him dead last year and was happy to see he made it.

Neighbor got a pic of him earlier this summer.

This buck stayed close to home last year and is very killable. I would love to put an arrow through him this year.
Plant Deer Natural landscape Grass Tree
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Land lot

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Im Ian i hunt Allegan co. Private land not a true trophy hunter, try to shoot nice bucks but sometimes still shoot small bucks depending on opportunities...some years I choose to go buckless .
Usually shoot 2 or 3 does a season,never joined this contest before but often look at pages in forum.
Did the turkey contest last 2 yrs so decided to do deer contest..
Getting excited!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!!!

Dafalls we are on the board already! That is a dandy bear! Have always applied for points on bear but just never did it. that is a great bruin looks like he is crushing the plastic crate!

Rich that looks awesome with the management! I had not heard of sumac used for licking branches, but do know bucks shred them each fall on my place. Cool, let us know if the deer frequent those scrapes more than standard scrapes. I did pick up a scrape dripper this year to try it. Most years I just freshen the existing scrapes and have made my own with paracord/tie downs. Browmeister looks like he is ripe for the pickin! Good luck!

Andrew, thanks for being on the team! that is a great buck and best of luck placing an arrow in him if you are bowhunting!

Ian, thank you for doing the contest! I hope you enjoy it as the season progresses and the team comes together to take 1st place!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey team my name is Don, and I hunt the thumb area. Our family has access to about 250 acres during bow/firearm. We do our best to take out Does and usually take some bucks also. Most of our properties take 2 YO bucks, I personally target 3 YO or larger.

This pre season has been taxing as I have not spent the time I need to in practice with my bow. I am an archer of 20+ years so I am not worried, but still need to close the loop on tuning in. Hoping to dial in the rest of this week. It's been really hard with OT at work and family life, everything else has taken a back seat. So far this year I have taken 3 vacation days from work, but look forward from Oct. 20th on cashing in more time off to spend afield in pursuit of whitetail.

In the past few seasons, I have shifted some of my game to ground hunting. I find it really rewarding, I am still honing those skills but am finding out you can get away with more than you think you can, as you hunt eye to eye level with deer.

At any rate, I hope you are locked, cocked and ready to rock this season! Good luck and shoot straight! I am hoping to take an early Doe with Bow for those extra points, and then see our team cruise to the finish line ahead of the pack!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey guys Chris here from Alpena. This will be my second year hunting my 110 acres in Presque Isle County. Have a few nice ones on camera that have been hanging out all summer. I also have 20 acres in Northern Luce County that I will be bow hunting occasionally. Best I have finished is second in the contest, our captain failed to shoot a doe that year…. Looking forward to giving team 4 a run for their money!
Plant Cloud Sky Snow Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Window Building

·
Premium Member
31,084 Posts
Team #5
PTPD2312
Grapestomper
Maple_Ridge (Captain)
Unclebass
BUCK/PIKE
LoBrass
RMH
Dafalls

Team G5's! This is the official thread for our team, have fun! Best of luck this season and let's kick some tail!!!
Well, you managed to screw up your first post! SMDH

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My name is Matt, I live in Grand Traverse County on the Antrim County line. I own 3 pieces of private land that I manage strictly for deer hunting, 2 in Antrim County and one in Grand Traverse. I try to take 2 archery bucks per year, but im not turning down a firearm buck if its a wall hanger. Lots of deer on my cams this year, including one nice 12 point that has been moving quite a bit in daylight. Archery points win this contest every year. If you are going to shoot a doe, use your archery equipment. Good luck to everyone!!

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
I had not heard of sumac used for licking branches, but do know bucks shred them each fall on my place. Cool, let us know if the deer frequent those scrapes more than standard scrapes.
Sumac is my number one pick for licking branches next to basswood. Both are very soft wood with sponge-like fibers that really hold scent. I get huge amounts of activity on my sets. Including mature bucks I passed on video in daylight while hunting. Shot several does off my scrapes. Even shot a button buck .....oooops.

I did pick up a scrape dripper this year to try it.
Personally I don't believe in using drippers. The deer do that part on my artificial branches so no need to try and trick them with manufactured scents. With that being said, good friend Mike Hartges likes to use drip scent and he does shoot older bucks consistently!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts