Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

181 - 200 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Wish we had more of them to shoot at around here. Did you go out of state this year? Plans for next year?
Didn't this year, planning on it next. But that all depends on where we are with this crap next Nov. I stay with friends in their home. & I won't intrude on them, or even suggest coming out if we, or they are still dealing with it come November.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Didn't this year, planning on it next. But that all depends on where we are with this crap next Nov. I stay with friends in their home. & I won't intrude on them, or even suggest coming out if we, or they are still dealing with it come November.
What state?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
......the story....Opening day of archery gave me perfect wind for this newly located stand. Got in just as it was getting light, not an issue as the leave canopy was still thick back in the woods. 5 minutes after climbing the 20' and getting settled a nubbin buck and his sister walk by, the buck decides to sniff the ladder I just climbed, scent control, check! They stayed around browsing for a while and a family of racoons made an appearance, the two deer didnt spook but weren't pleased either. So I'm watching them to see how they react since they weren't leaving anytime soon it seems. Snap, the crack of a twig puts me and the deer on alert there attention is focused to my right. Soon a nice 2 yo 8 point with a big body comes into view, he stops 9 yards in front of my tree and starts to browse, giving me a perfect 1/4 away shot, but alas the bow is still on the hanger. This one gets a pass. He walks away for about 30 yards and then comes back and gives me the pose but on his right side, he was daring me. Well he walks off and takes the other two deer with him, good morning so far as it's not even 8:00 yet. Time passes and a deer or two walk in and out of view so, time to blow the grunt call. I use an A Way bow grunter set to doe grunt and it has been stellar in the early season, all season really. So I blind call a few times and then relax. 15 minute later I see a couple deer walking my way from the edge of the flooded area, I'm in pinch point between two wet holes in the hard woods. The first buck through is big but the rack is bent up and weak, second deer which was right on his tail had a wider 8 point rack, tines not tall but it looked good, the bow comes off the hanger as I say to myself, I'll take that. Well, once he clears the brush I see his body is small so I'm a bit disappointed, you will remember the word "perspective". So I move my focus to the first deer which is now almost directly under my tree stand, looking at the size of the body I said you're it! so as he walks to my right I wait for him to clear a couple trees taking the time to draw the bow, he comes clear at 11yards sight picture good arrow gone! The typical sounds of the bow and the impact are noted and the deer mule kicks and takes off. Hoof beats are replaced by a load crash then silence, it's not yet 8:30, what a morning. Arrow is coated and dripping but blood trail is sparse, I actually loose it about 50 yards from the shot. I heard a crash and knew where he was going so I fast forwarded about 30 yards to the ridge, he didn't make it. As you can see he took out a pretty good sapling and was wedged tight, biggest bodied deer I've ever shot and was a joy to drag even after dressing, he wasn't missing many meals, that's a size 12 boot for reference. Remember the perspective comment? Saw the second 8 again later in October with another deer, he wasn't small, this guy right here was that big.....stay tuned.........
5 point_4.jpg
5 point_2.jpg
5 point_1.jpg
5 point_3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
20200912_181113.jpg
20201211_183416.jpg
20201020_210722.jpg
been one of them years again here. lots of great bucks on cam but never any sightings. thankfully the freezer is full thanks to the kids. my daughter started it off with a youth hunt 8 point in velvet. took 2 does myself and my son took 2 more. gonna give my daughter another couple trys to fill her doe tag over the xmas break. otherwise we are done here

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
....the story

So, it is November 6th and my “rutcation” was not going quite the way I planned it but what the hell has this year? It is way warm for November but IT’S NOVEMBER! Climb into my stand nock an arrow and hang the bow, sit down and immediately a 6-point strolls behind me, hmmmmm…. The rest of the early morning is a smattering of yearling does and a couple button bucks. I tell myself with the mild temps to be patient and enjoy not freezing my a$$ off. I hear a rustle to my right and there goes a high racked 4 point, I’m in a good area and the wind is right. To my left I hear the unmistakable sound of chasing going on, heart thumping I grab the bow and wait. In seconds here comes the best doe I have seen all season, classic tongue hanging out getting chased buy a buck, do I shoot? Need points for the contest but I had to see what was on her tail, I see legs appear, the heart rate increases then he steps into view……6” spike! WTF? So, he continues his quest for the golden ring and chased her back to where she came from. Suddenly the tall 4 bursts out of the brush followed by a yearling doe. The group proceeds to tear up the woods for a good 2-3 minutes, I can see white rumps darting everywhere then all is silent, it’s around 10:00 ish and I’ve already had a great time in the stand. Things are quiet for a few minutes then to my left a yearling doe makes here way into a lush green depression to my left and beds down 60 yards away. A few minutes later a yearling button buck beds about 20 yards from me in same general area. So now if a shooter does come into view, I’ve got 3 sets of eyes to fool. Oh, but this is 2020 and the deer woods. Shortly after the button beds here comes the spike that was chasing the doe. He was either depressed or going to have the “cigarette” after and he beds 10 feet behind the button, oh this is good. So, I’m being quiet and still but up 20’ gives one a huge advantage, guys, if you can get up high it makes a difference. I had set a sit limits of 11:00 and that is now 30 minutes away, trying to figure out how to climb down without spooking the three deer and buggering up the stand. I’d heard a branch snap earlier in the swale further to my left and ignored it, so as I am scanning the beautiful vista in front of me there he is at the edge of this brushy depression. Sunlight fully illuminating him in a darker woody background. I grab the bow slowly, keeping my eyes on the three bedded deer…success! Now this big dog starts to walk away from where I need him but figure he may circle the brush and offer a shot, or not. I give the grunt call a couple light taps and he stops and walks into the barbary brush disappearing. A 4th deer that was bedded in the thorns comes trotting out, never knew she was there! This doe starts to walk in the opposite direction of my stand, oh Shiite she’s going to lead him away so back to the grunt call. She must not have been in heat as he ignored her and starts coming my way. Am I really going to get a shot? I had the presence of mind to stand up as I prefer to shoot seated but the stand is set for the deer to come from my right and being left handed this is going to be fun. Anyway, the two small deer clear out and are not in play while the spike walks away from the target animal. I draw the bow and my elbow hits the tree, slight rotation and I am at full draw, deer still coming. Now my safety strap is on top of my elbow, that won’t do so a couple small twitches and it falls clear. Deer is on me now 10-11 yards walking slowly, stop him or not? Pin is on the deer doing the best to bend at the waist but not enough slack in the harness, he stops between two trees sight picture good, arrow gone. In a blur of blood and noise the deer immediately hits the ground and is trying to escape but spine shot deer don’t do that. I’m still trying to process the fact that he’s mine when the ethical section of the brain takes over and says ‘follow up’ shot. I take my time to let him offer a clear second shot target and let that arrow fly, it’s done. I could not believe what transpired in the brief time it took for all this to happen. I’ve got my best buck ever down on the ground and I don’t have to hunt firearm season WOO HOO!!! Shot was high but the angle was so steep it took out the offside lung. Didn’t notice the little sticker point until I was tagging him, adrenaline will do that to ya! 9 points, 16.5” inside dressed 172#. Another solo recovery so put all the sweat and effort from the gym to work again. The archery season was the best thing that happened in 2020 for sure. Long read but hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
....the story

So, it is November 6th and my “rutcation” was not going quite the way I planned it but what the hell has this year? It is way warm for November but IT’S NOVEMBER! Climb into my stand nock an arrow and hang the bow, sit down and immediately a 6-point strolls behind me, hmmmmm…. The rest of the early morning is a smattering of yearling does and a couple button bucks. I tell myself with the mild temps to be patient and enjoy not freezing my a$$ off. I hear a rustle to my right and there goes a high racked 4 point, I’m in a good area and the wind is right. To my left I hear the unmistakable sound of chasing going on, heart thumping I grab the bow and wait. In seconds here comes the best doe I have seen all season, classic tongue hanging out getting chased buy a buck, do I shoot? Need points for the contest but I had to see what was on her tail, I see legs appear, the heart rate increases then he steps into view……6” spike! WTF? So, he continues his quest for the golden ring and chased her back to where she came from. Suddenly the tall 4 bursts out of the brush followed by a yearling doe. The group proceeds to tear up the woods for a good 2-3 minutes, I can see white rumps darting everywhere then all is silent, it’s around 10:00 ish and I’ve already had a great time in the stand. Things are quiet for a few minutes then to my left a yearling doe makes here way into a lush green depression to my left and beds down 60 yards away. A few minutes later a yearling button buck beds about 20 yards from me in same general area. So now if a shooter does come into view, I’ve got 3 sets of eyes to fool. Oh, but this is 2020 and the deer woods. Shortly after the button beds here comes the spike that was chasing the doe. He was either depressed or going to have the “cigarette” after and he beds 10 feet behind the button, oh this is good. So, I’m being quiet and still but up 20’ gives one a huge advantage, guys, if you can get up high it makes a difference. I had set a sit limits of 11:00 and that is now 30 minutes away, trying to figure out how to climb down without spooking the three deer and buggering up the stand. I’d heard a branch snap earlier in the swale further to my left and ignored it, so as I am scanning the beautiful vista in front of me there he is at the edge of this brushy depression. Sunlight fully illuminating him in a darker woody background. I grab the bow slowly, keeping my eyes on the three bedded deer…success! Now this big dog starts to walk away from where I need him but figure he may circle the brush and offer a shot, or not. I give the grunt call a couple light taps and he stops and walks into the barbary brush disappearing. A 4th deer that was bedded in the thorns comes trotting out, never knew she was there! This doe starts to walk in the opposite direction of my stand, oh Shiite she’s going to lead him away so back to the grunt call. She must not have been in heat as he ignored her and starts coming my way. Am I really going to get a shot? I had the presence of mind to stand up as I prefer to shoot seated but the stand is set for the deer to come from my right and being left handed this is going to be fun. Anyway, the two small deer clear out and are not in play while the spike walks away from the target animal. I draw the bow and my elbow hits the tree, slight rotation and I am at full draw, deer still coming. Now my safety strap is on top of my elbow, that won’t do so a couple small twitches and it falls clear. Deer is on me now 10-11 yards walking slowly, stop him or not? Pin is on the deer doing the best to bend at the waist but not enough slack in the harness, he stops between two trees sight picture good, arrow gone. In a blur of blood and noise the deer immediately hits the ground and is trying to escape but spine shot deer don’t do that. I’m still trying to process the fact that he’s mine when the ethical section of the brain takes over and says ‘follow up’ shot. I take my time to let him offer a clear second shot target and let that arrow fly, it’s done. I could not believe what transpired in the brief time it took for all this to happen. I’ve got my best buck ever down on the ground and I don’t have to hunt firearm season WOO HOO!!! Shot was high but the angle was so steep it took out the offside lung. Didn’t notice the little sticker point until I was tagging him, adrenaline will do that to ya! 9 points, 16.5” inside dressed 172#. Another solo recovery so put all the sweat and effort from the gym to work again. The archery season was the best thing that happened in 2020 for sure. Long read but hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

View attachment 625053 View attachment 625055 View attachment 625057 View attachment 625059
Great write up Dan! Awesome hunt

181 - 200 of 295 Posts