Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heading out the door for one last go. Had a big one come in behind me last night I got tur ed in the saddle clean.... by then he was 10 yards. I tried to draw while he was behind a tree. Got about 6 inches back and brushed some beech leaves in the tree I was in he spun around and made some distance and circled to the south. I hope to tag out tonight. But who knows... here goes nothing

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Good job Moody!
I sat Saturday and saw 3 bucks chasing different does..between 3 of us on the property we saw 10 bucks chasing 8 different ones at least..then went out sunday morning 3 of us never saw a deer..
My buddy has seen 2 nice bucks today locked down with does.
Im off Tuesday and Wednesday to hunt then have a 5 day weekend around Thanksgiving.
Good luck guys!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just got back after a good weekend hunt, but nothing to show for it. Perfect conditions and wind for our best spots.

Saturday saw lots of single does circling an active scrape in the AM and in a food plot in the PM. Had several singles dead to rights in my lane at 20-30 yrs, but did not shoot in case a buck was behind them. A larger group of 5 does steered clear of me at 50+ yds in the thick stuff. Then Sunday saw nothing all day - seems like they were definitely locked down. This morning saw a buck chasing several does around me at 70+ yds, but never got closer.

Kind of a different season and rut at our place this year. The scrapes have been hit harder and kept open longer than previous 2-3 yrs, but seeing less chasing than previous years at this time. Hoping things are just lagging a few days and then it will ramp up. Maybe the rut started on-time, but the warm weather stretched it out - isn't that called a trickle rut or something similar?

Will be missing the 15th and 16th, but heading up with the 4 man crew on the 17th for our rifle opener.

Good luck to all tomorrow if you are able to get out!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Congrats, Moody, real nice deer. I hope you guys are puttin' the hurt on some deer. It's first opening day in decades I haven't been in the woods, which feels real weird. Being in Rome makes up for it....but I thought of y'all while doing some sightseeing around noon (which was about when you were getting settled into your stands.)
Photograph Window Vehicle Car White

Sky Building Sculpture House Plant
Photograph Window Vehicle Car White
Sky Building Sculpture House Plant

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got a decent little six pointer this am.... I though about not shooting and holding out but the thought of whitefish on the pier flipped off the safety and let him have it... tagged put on bucks will slip out for a doe in the am bit if not we'll have at least those points for me... can't believe how few people where out this year. 😳 very few shots around and very few teu KS at the normal spots..
More for the good guys I guess. Good luck I have a couple pins for good late stateland spot if yall get desperate let me know be a least a year before I'm back.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I got a decent little six pointer this am.... I though about not shooting and holding out but the thought of whitefish on the pier flipped off the safety and let him have it... tagged put on bucks will slip out for a doe in the am bit if not we'll have at least those points for me... can't believe how few people where out this year. 😳 very few shots around and very few teu KS at the normal spots..
More for the good guys I guess. Good luck I have a couple pins for good late stateland spot if yall get desperate let me know be a least a year before I'm back.
Great job Moody - Thanks for putting the points up for the team!

Best of luck on the trip back home -

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Congrats moody you're a killer my friend. Sportsman at heart can tell thinking fishing while hunting, like it!
Safe travels

I hunted today gents. Late getting out and bumped some does on way out. That was it at that place. Came in for very short time ate and back out to different property.
Seen 14 slick ones and not a horn at that piece 🤔🤔 same this morning on way out.
Was a fresh scrape at 1st sit not a leaf in it.
Switched cards on way out but must've not turned on camera I guess 🤦🏼
Scouted a little on way out and middle plots actually got a lot of sign. I'll be back. Let the fun begin now. Hunt tomorrow back to work Thursday

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Saw 12 deer today all shootable..10 does in am and a 4pt..only 1 doe in evening.
Debating on where to sit wed ,probably same spot in am.heard quite a few grunts from thick bedding area,not sure if it was 4pt I saw or not.
Good job on the buck Moody!

·
Team Yukon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Saw like 25 yesterday with only 2 sparkies in the mix..3 so far today hard to see with all the snow on the branches

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Added a few points to our score shot a doe tonight.
Saw 7dnf today a spike,and a 3 point.
Back to work tommorow..will hit the woods this weekend and have a 5 day weekend around Thanksgiving
Nice, congrats ! I've seen doe, lot of em. Been horn hunting. Might change but probably not yet. Had a giant run a doe into my peice from cornfield across way other evening... I'll be there early tommorow a.m. :)
We've got some snow on ground now. Not much but some.
Good luck team!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
What's up guys ? Hunt the cold? Was out yesterday evening. Seen 8-10 dnf's 2 I had the safety off ready to squeeze. Would've been head on shot at 60 or so yards. Chip shot with the 450 but they both caught my wind just before I was ready to shoot.. Wind was "ok" but pushed a little. Looks like Wednesday will be next out. Wind will be perfect and my horn hunt might end with a doe down... Uncle says they're still chasing up north and some from LFTS same. Time will tell. I've ate a LOT of my 1st deer already so something will fall ;)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Nice work on the doe Captain!
Hunted morning and night on sat in that crap snow and wind.pretty much skunked except heard loud grunting and crashing around from a large thicket.saw flashes of brown but that was it.
Skipped the morning hunt went to breakfast and get groceries with the wife.
Got out tonight and saw a small buck close and also a button buck.back out wed-sun
Good luck fellas

201 - 220 of 237 Posts