Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Awesome! Let's get this thing rolling! UofM looking pretty decent tonight, boyzzzz! My name is Mike...46 yr old. I live in Allegan County on 20 acres. I hunt my home property some...but most of my serious hunting is done down in Cass County on my sister and bro-in-law's farm. We are blessed! Very good property with plenty of nice bucks running the farm on most years. I hunt a small portion of the farm with my 19 yr old son...have other family members that hunt their own sections of the farm as well. Have a great time in deer camp down there and we have made many memories over the years...looking forward to making more. My son is actually joining the contest this year for the first time. He's on the late edition team #18...we'll have fun in camp talking trash;) I got two nice 2 yr old 8 points last year...one with a bow and one with a gun. Normally if I shoot a 2 yr old, I make the second buck be a TANK. I passed my gun buck on two hunts before I finally caved on the 3rd encounter. Definitely no guarantees in hunting, but I'm hoping for one decent buck and a doe this fall. Always a chance of shooting a whopper...that's what we dream of. No giants on camera this year, but lots of really nice ones. I'll post some pics when I'm on my phone...maybe tomorrow. Looking forward to getting to know you guys this fall...and sharing our adventures. Would love to win this thing this year...but most importantly, let's have fun trying!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Names Ryan, live in Genesee county and hunt mostly public land right now the road in Marion springs, usually take acouple deer each year, Managed to take 5 outta 6 deer last year on a very over pressured crowded area last year with limited time last year, actually first year I can remember not getting to hunt as much as I usually do , hoping to repeat again this year somewhat but it's already looking like the human pressure is gonna be strong like last year. Gun opener I'm always in the same tree come sun up. Taking 2 weeks off this year though in early October to go hunt mule deer and my first elk hunt, well if if everything still works out. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My name is Lorren. Used to live and hunt down in Jackson, hence my username. But have been moving north the last few years. I currently have 40 acres near Atlanta MI, that I will be doing the majority of my hunting on up until sometime in mid November, along with some on the surrounding state land. Also have a place surrounded by Hiawatha Forest up in the Central UP, that we are moving to as soon as the buyers are able to close on our place in Atlanta. It will be a bit of an exploration season for me, but I have lots of time to hunt, so should be able to squeak out at least a deer or two somewhere. I always have a couple of places back in Jackson that I can go hunt too, but not sure I’ll have time to get down there this season with everything thats going on. Good luck this season guys, I’m looking forward to being a part of this team. Seems like we have quite a few who are pretty active on this forum, and that always makes it a lot more fun!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My name is Greg. Hunt primarily in Ottawa County. Hunt a lot of public land here and have access to two connected 15 acres lots of private that holds some very good deer. We shoot a lot of does off that property every year so getting those points should be easy. The owner of one lot passed away last December and the property got sold to a developer that is closing in Mid October so it will be interesting to see how quick the clear cut it. Hope they wait to next year, but they were pretty eager to close the deal.

Bow and guns are ready to go for the season. I plan on hunting Sunday morning next weekend and have 4 weeks of PTO to use up between now and Jan 1. Plan on taking most of it late October thru November.

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
My name is Mike. I live close to the Tip of the Mitt but mostly hunt in Chippewa county. Things are looking good at camp. I’m retired so I have lots of time to work on my habitat out at camp.

I did draw an antlerless access tag so I will fill it on a doe. I’m pretty particular on age class of the bucks I shoot. The last 3 seasons have been waiting on 4-1/2 year old or older bucks. I may drop back a year this season.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Good morning fellas sorry for the delayed introduction but yesterday I couldn’t get on this thread or a few others because of a glitch in the the Outdoor Hub website. Today on my phone its fine for some reason. Anyways I’m Dave, my wife and 2 sons just recently moved to Milford (from Livonia)on 3 acres that is loaded with deer. Our primary hunting spot is our 54 acre farm in Hillsdale county which I’ve owned since 2002. I hunt with all weapons but my first love is the bow. Seeing lots of deer on the cams this summer with a couple good bucks sprinkled in. Shooting does shouldn’t be an issue. I liked to shoot does either real early or real late. I love hunting late December. I see some familiar posters here that I know love this sport. I think we’ll have a good season. Can’t wait to get this thing going. Good luck to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It looks like we all have chances to fill tags this year.

I'm 57 and live just north of Clare not far from Jay's Sporting Goods. It's handy having them so close, but hard on the wallet sometimes. ;) I hunt 38 acres behind the house with food plots and lots of ag in the area. Both my bucks last year came on state land in the area though. I took a nice old 10 point with the bow, and a 2 1/2 year old 8 point with the rifle. I bow, rifle, and muzzy hunt. I like the challenge of public land hunting, but it's nice to sit in a toasty warm tower blind when it gets blowing and nasty outside. This year Nov 15-20 will be spend at a rifle camp on some national forest land with some Christian buddies. Some of these guys weren't raised hunting, so I get to help them get the hunting bug. I'm blessed to be able to hunt the areas I do, and I have a network of highly experienced hunters to learn from. A buddy and I are running a 3D archery league in the area, and I feel I'm probably more ready than ever for bow season.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Nice job Brian. Sounds like you have a good game plan for this upcoming season. Just curious if any of you fellas run cameras?? It’s a very important part of my deer hunting arsenal. I’ve learned a lot over the years from them during all times of the year. Here’s a few pics we’ve gotten over this past summer. Feel free to post. I never met a deer pic I didn’t like.
Plant Natural landscape People in nature Grass Tree
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Grass Fawn
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Deer Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Green Nature
Plant Deer Tree Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
775 Posts
@goosebandit2 nice to have a fellow Marion springs warrior on the team. @sniper I occasionally run a trail cam, mainly if I'm in season scouting to see how the human pressure is effecting deer pressure in a area I might hunt or plan on hunting. I did put one out last weekend at a spot I haven't hunted in 2 years but plan on this year, will check it opening weekend. Also still have a cam out from last season that I'll probably retrieve later in October.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I always have cams out. Currently have 3 going on my 40 in Atlanta, nothing much on them yet, but bucks didn't start to show up until mid October last year either. Have a bear around this year, which is kind of cool I guess as long as he doesn't scare the deer. I’ll be placing some cameras on state land around the area this week, and some more on federal land near our place in the UP in a couple weeks when we head up there next. Believe Ill have a total of 12 out, once I get them done. Hopefully I can remember where they all are, lol. Ill post any good pics as they show up.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Plant Tree Natural landscape Deer Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community People in nature Natural landscape Tree

I've got a small clover plot at the west end of the property that gets tons of deer traffic all year long. It's just a tiny kill plot that's maybe 1/8 of an acre or less.
The second picture is of a 3/4 acre plot, that since this picture has been cultipacked and planted with a brassica mix.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Cloud Tree

This is my tower blind overlooking the 3/4 acre food plot. It's on 12' legs and deer don't even seem to know its there.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey guys! Many of my pics are ones I just snapped of the computer screen…so not great. No giants, but a great crop of good ones. Here are a few:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Mike those are some fantastic bucks! I hope you can show us one of those up close this year.

We’re kinda in uncharted waters at my place this summer as we have gotten no where near the nice buck pics as previous years. We have always gotten real nice pics of bucks in the summer and by the first maybe second week of October their gone for greener pastures. This year we have we gotten a couple nice ones but that’s been it. Hopefully they come back to our piece a little later in the season. We primarily always have does. We’ll see how it turns out. Last fall we had windmill construction crews running all through our area and it was the worst season ever. This year we’re just hoping for peace and quiet.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Mike those are some fantastic bucks! I hope you can show us one of those up close this year.

We’re kinda in uncharted waters at my place this summer as we have gotten no where near the nice buck pics as previous years. We have always gotten real nice pics of bucks in the summer and by the first maybe second week of October their gone for greener pastures. This year we have we gotten a couple nice ones but that’s been it. Hopefully they come back to our piece a little later in the season. We primarily always have does. We’ll see how it turns out. Last fall we had windmill construction crews running all through our area and it was the worst season ever. This year we’re just hoping for peace and quiet.

Thanks Dave! I hope we can get some victory shots with a nice one or two as well. We have pretty good luck with bucks sticking around on our farm. And always some new comers throughout the season. Unfortunately, it's about an 1.5 hr drive from the house and my wife isn't too crazy about me being gone every weekend. And now my son is in college at SVSU...so we kind of pick our times to hunt. Usually take 4-5 over night trips throughout the season and a few day trips. So even though we are blessed with some great land to hunt, still lots of areas for them to be where we are not;) And always at the mercy of the weather. We actually have had some great luck the first weekend of bow season with seeing nice bucks on their feet in day light. Then we usually let the area rest till we hit it hard in November. I'll be going down this Sunday to check cards and put up a tent blind...be all set for that first weekend. If we get lucky enough to have a cold front hit for us that first weekend, I will be very confident in either my son or I getting a crack at a good one. But we shall see. I'll wait till November or December to fill my doe tag...don't like messing with warm temps and dead deer unless it's a nice buck. At least that's the plan for now.

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
I don’t have enough signal to post pictures at the moment but things are looking good out at camp. I have 12 acres of plots in scattered around the property. They consist of Aroostook rye, clover, wheat or a brassica blend. My bean plot was tilled under due to lack of rain early in the year. It was then broadcast with brassica and a little later with rye.

Fortunately wolves have been absent this fall but my neighbor has had a couple of cougar sightings. One bedded down in his cow pasture for about four hours earlier this year. Bears are always present to some degree as are coyotes.

I’ll start my spotlight survey in a few weeks for the DNR. My route is 12 miles long mostly in the areas hay fields. It’s a fraction of what it used to be but winters have been tough along with high predator numbers.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts