Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
20 hours to show time for me. I am at work but not very focused. I am abadoning my work responsibilities at 230 to head north. Hopefully i can scout and roost a few before dark. Good luck fellas.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I give you permission to leave earlier than that!
I am still kicking the can on if I am going to head up north tomorrow morning. Go get after them @ratherboutside!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bird down fellas! Awesome morning in the Turkey woods! Measurements and story to follow!! View attachment 831362

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Heck Yea! That is awesome to see. Many congratulations to you and your success. I just logged on to check and see if anyone had success at all this past week, and this is what I find, and needed! I was driving the struggle bus here, and not having the motivation to get after it. Now I have the fever and will be ready to get after it this weekend.
Great job @zep02, and way to get us on the board!

Reactions: zep02

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Alright fellas...finished spraying down all of my clothing with tick repellant, have my bags packed and ready to beat feet here at 4 to head up to the cabin. Just talked with the neighbor and he punched his this morning, and said the thunder chickens were vocal this morning. My fingers are crossed that success will find me. I am in the same situation you were last week @ratherboutside! Just waiting for the clock to click on by.

Reactions: zep02

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Bird down. Watched this fella all last weekend in a field I dont have access to. I have access to a grass field next to it. He was in his normal spot about 1030. I kept a woods between us and snuck to the grass field. Called in 4 Jake's 1st that I had called into another woods earlier. When they cleared he gobbled and came in. 35 yards dead. The Jake's came back and tried to assault his flopping body. I was 5 yards from him walking when they ran in. I had to yell at them to get them to leave. They were so focused they did notice me.

10.5 inch beard
1.25 right Spur.
1.125 inch left Spur x
Tire Wheel Plant Hunting Car
Bird Plant Plant community Sky Tree
Hand Leg Grass Gesture Finger
Textile Sleeve Finger Denim Font
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Vertebrate Tape measure Wood Mammal

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bird down. Watched this fella all last weekend in a field I dont have access to. I have access to a grass field next to it. He was in his normal spot about 1030. I kept a woods between us and snuck to the grass field. Called in 4 Jake's 1st that I had called into another woods earlier. When they cleared he gobbled and came in. 35 yards dead. The Jake's came back and tried to assault his flopping body. I was 5 yards from him walking when they ran in. I had to yell at them to get them to leave. They were so focused they did notice me.

10.5 inch beard
1.25 right Spur.
1.125 inch left Spur x View attachment 831906 View attachment 831907 View attachment 831908 View attachment 831909 View attachment 831910

Heck Yeah!! Congrats on the fantastic bird. Man am I ever so jealous of you. Time for you to make some incredible meals with that bird there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The weekend came and went for me. I was just never able to connect on things. My buddy shot a nice bird on Saturday morning on another property, so I posted up there on Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday AM. Nothing to show for it, but there was a lot of gobbling in the area. Its going to be a long week here thinking about this upcoming weekend, but I am pumped to get after it again here. I did manage to find a quart of mushrooms, so all wasn't lost!

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well fellas, this has been a season for the birds. It hasn't been for lack of effort. My heart is still in the game, but not sure if I am gonna have time to make the run up north and get after it.
Just wish these damn birds would walk though my yard instead of the neighbors. Then I could maybe get a crack at one with my bow!
If any of you are heading out on a last minute hunt, good luck and shoot straight!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well team, the season has come to an end. As crazy as it still sounds to me, I actually had (3) toms in my yard on Sunday AM. That was the first time that I have ever seen birds in my yard. I didn't believe what I heard as I was sitting on the couch until I looked out the window. Then it was a fast paced game of running downstairs to grab my bow and try to sneak open the front door. As with any perfectly thought out plan...this one did not work out. I had about a 40yd shot, but there was just one limb of a tree blocking my shot from the front porch. Next thing you know....the gig was up!
Kind of a bummer that things did not go my way this year, but it was still a good time. Just wish I had a little more time to do it.
Hopefully the rest of you had a fun spring out there as well chasing these birds around!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts