Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
221 - 240 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ll be in either Branch or Calhoun county. I’m a line sitter. Lol, yes that’s actually county line I’m talking. I’ll be taking out a 12 gauge H&R Ultra Slug I got this year. I’m pretty excited about getting back to shotgun hunting. I’ve gone through the muzzleloader stage and last year used a 450 but we’re in the heart of shotgun territory!

I’ve got one, maybe two more bow hunts in me before the guns start banging. I’m looking forward to those sits. Anyone else going to get out this weekend for a last ditch effort with archery gear? Not sure why I like getting in those last couple of sits. I know some guys that won’t go out this weekend because opening day is coming. Just seems like a wasted weekend not to be in the woods if I don’t go!

Good luck fellas! Shoot straight!

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I'll be hunting at home. I'm off work until after Thanksgiving. I'll be shotgun hunting at my house till Wednesday. Then we leave for Southern Illinois for the weekend shotgun season. Then back to kill does.
I'll be using my TC encore 12 gauge slug gun and my CVA 50 Cal LR V2 muzzleloader.
I'll still hunt every day with the crossbow until shotgun. There's got to be a big buck that wants to come to my house and stay.
Good luck to all you guys shoot straight and be safe

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I went this morning. Rain WIND sleet slushy rain small hail thunder and lighting! So a little bit of everything! Made it till 10 till I was completely soaked, not 1 deer seen....
Ill be out in the AM then heading up north about noon.

Congrats on the doe brown!!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
As i said i hunted that corner spot in that pic this morning and saw one spike at 9 :30. Left shortly after that cause i was soaked again from the slush comin down off the limbs! I hunted there yesterday morning too and didnt see a thing. But something told me i had to hunt that same spot tonight before i head up north. So i did. Got in at 3 and hadn't seen a thing ....again but right at 5 i looked over my left shoulder and a buck was standing right behind me. They never come from that way! Lol...He walks right underneath my stand and now is at 10 yrds in front of me. I slowly bring the Xbow up and he must have heard something ...he spins his head around and looks right up at me. He takes off straight away and I let out a loud MEH. He stops and turns just a bit to look and i shoot. Sounded good. I got down before it was too dark to see and found good blood and my arrow covered! He went about 100 yrds and when i got to him i took him thru both shoulders. The shot happened fast. Took the heart out. Man.....is that a relief! I was struggling and time was running out before the guns start blaring. Nice 8. Im happy!😁 Now i can head up north with the pressure off. Ill make sure i have all the right pictures! And remind you all too!

Plant Deer Natural material Wood Horn

Bird Wood Terrestrial plant Natural material Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Wood Natural material Gas Automotive wheel system

Hunting Trophy hunting Hat Beard Elk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hell yeah! Nice one captain!!! That’s got to be a great feeling to get one the last weekend!

I made it tonight, got out late. Didn’t get sitting until about 4:30. Didn’t see a deer until I was ready to climb down for the night. It was 5:54 when I saw this deer. At first I thought it was two deer walking almost end to end kind of. Then i realized it was just one. Again, it was getting dark out but I could tell this deer was just a giant animal. Had no idea if it was a buck or a doe, just a huge animal. As I’m walking out I could see a deer eyes at the top of the hill with my little green flashlight. So I grabbed a regular flashlight out of my pocket which was almost dead, turned out it was a doe, then I catch movement just off to the right. There he stood, maybe 20 yards away from me. Now I’ve seen some big deer in my years hunting as we all have. I’m not talking so much rack size, but body size. This buck was just huge! Absolutely huge body! And there I am, 20 yards away with a bottle of doe piss and a scent wick doused in it in my pocket (wick was at least in a plastic baggie). I was a little worried being as he was just standing there staring at me. We had a standoff for a minute, at which point I just kind of made a little noise and the doe took off taking him with her. And the other deer I had not seen went with them. I’m hoping I didn’t send him completely in to the next county with this. Guess only time will tell.

Good luck guys! Shoot straight!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Awesome buck captain!!!! Great shot too.

I’m in Calhoun county for tonight and possibly Monday night also. Farmer has only cut one of my fields so going to be a little tougher hunting with all the hiding places the bucks have with corn stsnding everywhere around me. Good luck to all you guys that get out tomorrow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I hope your guys opening day is going better than mine. Sat till 10. Was froze. Went in and Had some eggs, sausage and a hot cup of coffee (should have brought some coffee back out) and have been sitting for an hour now again. Haven’t seen a deer yet today and I’ve hardly heard any shots.

I’m think it’s opening day today right?! Lol!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Nice buck captain, congrats!
Opening morning so far I’ve seen two 6pt and a 4 pt and a spike with about 5 doe’s added in. Also had a busted up buck I couldn’t tell if he’s under 3 inches or not. Needed more time to evaluate him . Keep on them boys there doing a lot of chasing and dogging here!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Reactions: Sprytle and Bucman

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Did an all day sit today. Had a decent buck on the wrong side of me at first light for a half hour so we did the standoff for that time. Ended up twisted and contorted on one knee trying to get a clear shot but he wouldn't cooperate. In the meantime, another deer walked in what would've been in front of me while I was turned around. Single deer but I was already locked in on the buck. The one I had the scope on ended up going into the thick where that one was walking and out of my sight.
Had another in the thick come through at 5 tonight but again no clear shot. Had the crosshairs on him but no good look at antlers. Trying again tomorrow. Good luck guys!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would be alright with some more corn coming down myself. Today has already been a lot better in terms of deer sightings. Seen more than a dozen deer already with a couple of small bucks thrown in there. Have not heard a shot today yet.

221 - 240 of 279 Posts