Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
201 - 220 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
1st off congrats all the deer taken so far!! Great double up on the Turkey too, that’s awesome!

so my trip to southern Ohio was pretty awesome seen some deer, missed a big one due to my arrow deflecting off a branch I did not see. Had a big 10pt walk up to me at 10 yds while scouting the 2nd day. (No bow in hand) rest of the week just mainly seen doe. Was a great 1st public land diy hunt out of stare for me.

now back on Michigan ground, my neighbor that lets me hunt his lease with him told the bucks have been steady moving on his 2 properties. He had to work so I jumped in the truck at 430 am and hit the stand. About 730 seen a nice 8 or10 following a doe about 100yds out. Then about 30 min later a small 3 pt came cruising thru and stopped to check out my scent wick I had hanging with some jinx’em scent (good stuff) he passes, about 20 min after that this nice 7 came down same path headed for the scent wick. I made the choice to make him my 1st buck of the season. I stop him broadside and make a perfect shot. He went about 75 yds and crashed.

So this year I started hunting out of a saddle and I love it!! Bought the new bowtech solution ss to retire my old Mathews DXT. Started shooting heavier arrows… sirius archery arrows 250 spline with some weight up front arrow with broad head weighs 575gn. Put a rage right thru him with ease.

I will get picture with the tag and bow in hand today for the contest.
good luck boys its The best time of the year.
Plant Hunting Tree Wood Grass

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
1st off congrats all the deer taken so far!! Great double up on the Turkey too, that’s awesome!

so my trip to southern Ohio was pretty awesome seen some deer, missed a big one due to my arrow deflecting off a branch I did not see. Had a big 10pt walk up to me at 10 yds while scouting the 2nd day. (No bow in hand) rest of the week just mainly seen doe. Was a great 1st public land diy hunt out of stare for me.

now back on Michigan ground, my neighbor that lets me hunt his lease with him told the bucks have been steady moving on his 2 properties. He had to work so I jumped in the truck at 430 am and hit the stand. About 730 seen a nice 8 or10 following a doe about 100yds out. Then about 30 min later a small 3 pt came cruising thru and stopped to check out my scent wick I had hanging with some jinx’em scent (good stuff) he passes, about 20 min after that this nice 7 came down same path headed for the scent wick. I made the choice to make him my 1st buck of the season. I stop him broadside and make a perfect shot. He went about 75 yds and crashed.

So this year I started hunting out of a saddle and I love it!! Bought the new bowtech solution ss to retire my old Mathews DXT. Started shooting heavier arrows… sirius archery arrows 250 spline with some weight up front arrow with broad head weighs 575gn. Put a rage right thru him with ease.

I will get picture with the tag and bow in hand today for the contest.
good luck boys its The best time of the year. View attachment 797436
Hell of a nice one!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Just had a small basket 8 come up out of the swamp right behind that split tree in front of me. Prob 35 -40 yrds. Tryed to bleat him a little closer for a better look at him. Sure would like to take a nice one this week before it all changes!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lucky little pot licker! Sitting there this morning and I had to itch. So I itch. My chew can falls out of pocket (clunk on stand) then all of sudden there is sneaky Pete (7 pt) go to opening, mouth noise him to stop. Nodda, on a mission just kept right on walking lol

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 · (Edited)
Last night was a cluster...I literally crawled on my hands and knees thru some nasty ass thick briars and undergrowth to get to this little 15 yrd opening with a couple of old apple trees. I overshot it by a bit but when i got there I was setting my stuff down and saw i was missing a lumenok arrow out of my quiver. So i left my stuff and crawled all the way back thru that crap and found it. Got back and sat down. 15 min later a big doe came thru 10 yrds in front of me with a good sized 5 pt following. Saw bits a pieces of other deer for the rest of the sit and right before dark heard alot of crashing and chasing with constant grunting. Could have been the same 2 but not sure as again i was just seeing patches of brown and some white tail here and there.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Wood

This is just to the left to show how thick it is all around this little spot.
Plant Twig Wood Natural landscape Trunk

I really should have sat there this morning but went elsewhere and saw one small buck cruising shortly after daybreak ...that was it. Hope to get back out in bit weather permitting.
Good Luck All!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Where is everyone hunting for opening day? What are you using? Ill be northwest of Mesick for the first couple days. We'll see how it goes there and might head back south for the next couple of days.
I'll be bringing my 308 and my 350, not sure which ill use yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sat till noon, got a little too windy for tree stand hunting. I’m headed back out in about an hour. Saw 3 deer and never had a shot, be hunting all day tomorrow to. I wont be out opening day but will afterwards, I need to fill my freezer!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Heading north tomorrow after getting my work around the house all done. Hopefully I’ll start seeing bigger bucks. Picked up a Remington 700 7mm mag last year and I think I’m going to give it a try this year. I got pictures of this a few times this year, hope he finds somewhere else to sleep!

Good luck everyone and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

201 - 220 of 279 Posts