Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
The shot played in my head the last 24 hours. I know i was right on. Went out, shot the xbow at 30 yards, hitting 6" low. Somehow the scope must of got bumped..! 2nd shot, 7" low. Makes sense, i was on middle of heart and shot under it shaving white hair. Took today off to regroup. Tomorrow, ill have my 450 which is dead nuts. Hope to get another crack at him!
I don't know what kind of crossbow you have, but I have an Excalibur and have to watch it to make sure things don't come loose on my scope.

Crossbows deliver an incredible amount of force in a very short space.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Well guys talk about having some bad juju I had the biggest buck on our property coming in on a string last night and as I was preparing for the shot my bow string got stuck in my safety harness. Of course the buck is getting closer and I’m panicking because I have no clue how or what my bow could be caught on. The buck walks right through an opening broadside at 22.5 yards and I can’t do anything. After he walks away I figured out the the spring clip to the suspension relief strap was inside that pocket and somehow the string pushed the clip open and it closed with the cloth of the harness and the string inside. Push the spring clip get my string out try to call the buck back to no avail.
At 2pm today my nephew shot the buck. It’s the biggest buck killed off this property since we’ve owned it.
Head Eye Deer Mammal Organism

Head Deer Fawn Natural material Terrestrial animal

Good for him not so good for me. Now I’m looking for a big 8 or maybe a bonus buck that comes by searching for a hot doe!

Good luck and keep after em!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Shot a doe yesterday morning with the 450. Im going to take pics but hold off posting. Still hopijh for a buck. I filled both doe tags and have my combo left. Ill post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Well today started out rough with all the wet heavy snow. I attempted to clean out my shooting lanes before daylight and really didn’t make much progress other than getting all sweaty. When I decided I’d had enough I only had one of 5 shooting lanes that I could see more than 40 or 50 yards.

Decided to let Mother Nature clean them out and only saw one deer all morning. By about noon the wind and temps had all 5 shooting lane clear again. Deer finally started to move a little bit about 3 pm. I saw a couple does and a fawn. At 4:06 I looked to my left and caught a big 8 about half way across my shooting lane. As soon as I saw him I bleated at him to stop him as he stopped the .243 went out the window the safety was off and boom. He did a big Mule kick and took off a short 35 yards later I had my biggest firearm buck and maybe my biggest buck to date. I’m now officially buck tagged out!

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Elk Natural material

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Smile Plant

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Well today started out rough with all the wet heavy snow. I attempted to clean out my shooting lanes before daylight and really didn’t make much progress other than getting all sweaty. When I decided I’d had enough I only had one of 5 shooting lanes that I could see more than 40 or 50 yards.

Decided to let Mother Nature clean them out and only saw one deer all morning. By about noon the wind and temps had all 5 shooting lane clear again. Deer finally started to move a little bit about 3 pm. I saw a couple does and a fawn. At 4:06 I looked to my left and caught a big 8 about half way across my shooting lane. As soon as I saw him I bleated at him to stop him as he stopped the .243 went out the window the safety was off and boom. He did a big Mule kick and took off a short 35 yards later I had my biggest firearm buck and maybe my biggest buck to date. I’m now officially buck tagged out!

View attachment 867025
View attachment 867026

Congrats Jeff beutiful buck!!!!

I have been playing cat and mouse with one of my shooters. I really hope he stays aways away from me and my gun hunters and I can catch up with him next year with the bow. I had him at 47yds and 58yds with the bow.

Reactions: Craves

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Congratulations Jeff! Tremendous buck!

Things are slow here. The only buck I have seen and the only deer I could have killed was a young 4 point. Everything changes here when gun season starts. There is only 1 buck that I know of that I would shoot, and I won't be all that disappointed if I don't get him and no one else does either. 2017 was the last year I killed a buck during gun and the last buck I killed here overall up to this year. He was a 3.5 year old 9 point. I was not planning on hunting tomorrow morning, but we are supposed to see some sun so I might still...The cold damp 1st two days have about wiped me out. Yesterday's 4 point
Plant Twig Wood Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Twig Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

2017 buck
Dog Cargo pants Plant Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
great buck jeff!!

here is a better pic of my doe. She is one of the biggest ive taken in a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Also found out, one of the 8's i was chasing and had an encounter with a week ago was hit by a car and found when combining. Its a bummer 😕

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on the firearms bucks! Rifle season has been slow for me so far, had a 6pt out second morning and a few other 6’s on camera. Camp has dwindled from 6 hunters down to myself, just had a buddy cancel coming up from Grand Rapids due to the snow. I’m out for the weekend after my archery doe. Just debating now if I want to stay out here by myself all weekend and enjoy the peace or head out to camp I used to hunt at be around 6 guys again for the weekend. Either way it should be a great weekend!

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Good job guys! Looks like we will have some impressive numbers put up!

Reactions: bigbucks160

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Good job guys. Keep at it and we’ll give the rest of these teams a run for their money and maybe pull off the win.

I got home from camp last night and weighed my buck from Wednesday at 150.8# dressed. And after that decided to put a tape to the rack and see where he fell. Let’s just say I’m not disappointed as he is my largest buck to date. With a moderate spread of 14-6/8” the final tally came to 121-6/8”. That makes him the second largest buck taken off our 66 acres since purchasing it and the first largest is my nephew’s buck from opening day this year. He measured out at 129-7/8”.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts