Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Went out tonight for the first time. Nice to get back in the routine. Saw a few does. One winded me and started blowing 15 mins before dark. There were enough skeeters to put a little damper on things. Be glad when we get the first frost, which isn't looking likely in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Went out tonight for the first time. Nice to get back in the routine. Saw a few does. One winded me and started blowing 15 mins before dark. There were enough skeeters to put a little damper on things. Be glad when we get the first frost, which isn't looking likely in the next week or so.
I'm going to Minnesota the 21st to the 25th to do a job....I guarantee that first big cold front will be coming then. Not only will I not be able to hunt it, but it'll probably be 20 degrees colder and snow a foot while I'm in Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm going to Minnesota the 21st to the 25th to do a job....I guarantee that first big cold front will be coming then. Not only will I not be able to hunt it, but it'll probably be 20 degrees colder and snow a foot while I'm in Minnesota.

That's my big fear when making plans to hunt somewhere else...the big one will walk all over the property right then. You'll be back for prime time.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Didn't see any deer this morning. I think I'm gonna go into mid season mode and try to do more cam work and scouting for a couple weeks. If I hunt do a scout and hunt. Talked to a few people and for whatever reason the early season action only went a few days. The deer I planned on being on changed their pattern also. Possible I kicked em up when I grabbed the cam but they probably got some pressure is more likely. Weekend opener? Where I was those days I was the only car in the lot Friday night and Saturday morning and it was a marked access.....something I hardly ever use.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
My great debate. 5.5 year old and was supposed to be my main target buck this year. Last year he was very active late gun season but his headgear wasn't great. Since I had already killed a great buck I elected to keep pressure off of him in hopes he'd make it another year and make a good antler jump. Neighbor sent me a picture of him in mid July and things seemed to be going according as hoped. Then a couple weeks later sends a pic with his right main beam broke just past the brow. So now I don't know what to do. Seems silly to even consider passing a buck of that age class...but....also seems reasonable that if he was able to make it to 5.5 the odds of making 6.5 are fairly high. Part of me hopes I don't have to make the choice because it might be one I regret.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Biome Fawn

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
With a full beam, what do you think he would have scored? 135". Hard to tell from that pic.
My opinion, a 5.5 year old is a better trophy than a 140" deer. If you think he'd score over 150", that might be a different story.
I have 5.5 year old 8 point (maybe older) and a 4.5 year old 6 point. I would shoot them both again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I figured he'd be low 140s before he broke off, that might have been optimistic. No doubt he's a trophy even broke off.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
will be out for the second sit tomorrow afternoon. hopefully the rain will be done.
have a doe on the radar. she pegged me opening morning. for some reason I have 5 funky bucks running around spike on one side and forks to 4 points on other side.
may take one of them out if given a chance.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
Well, made it out for my first sit. To mimic what others have said, it's hot, I'm sweating, there's water everywhere and I have mosquitos landing on me. Feels more like early doe then bow season.
Needed to get out to shake off the rust... Which was definitely there, and it feels good to be sitting in a tree.
Good luck if anyone else is out!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I don't know if I'm gonna make it out this weekend. I had planned on it, but it's even warmer then last weekend and the hunting probably won't be as easy either.

Had to put a new axle on my boat trailer. Somewhere between cadillac and royal oak threw a bearing coming back from Frankfort salmon end of August. Boat has been down since. At least it made it home with just the hub riding on the axle. Got done with work yesterday pretty early and spent 10 hours between welding new spring centers and mounts to torqueing everything back together. Upgraded from 2000# spring and axle to 3500# rating on everything.

Been like 6 weeks since a family boat trip so I think that's the agenda for the weekend. My son jumped on me this morning asking if the boat was fixed and can we go fishing. Hard to say no to that. We really never miss a week April to October, so a 6 week layoff from boating is a weird thing for my clan. Peak summer season it's 3 or 4 times a week. I really should just rent a dock on a local lake for next summer.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Checked cards today, took the tractor to make the rounds. Some nice ones showed up, although some might be the same. Not going to hunt for a few days. Between the warmth and skeeters I'll wait a bit. Plant Natural landscape Tree Twig Grass Plant Natural landscape Twig Flash photography Wood Black Plant Black-and-white Twig Grass Plant Nature Black Branch Tree Plant Natural landscape Tree Vegetation Carnivore

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Give it at least 4 hours from the shot when in doubt. Not proud but from a couple experiences even if the deer hasn't expired they can't move much and you can finish them.

Congrats wildcoy I was hoping to see this post, not like this but I thought you had one patterned from your previous posts. Give it a little patience and good chance it'll work out.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
she ran right toward the road, so believed I pushed her. went back out about 10 tracked her somehow in a circle and than back to my stand.
left for two hours again and went back out and on a different trail in some thick stuff.
doing loops. came to the truck with the rain and coming to a spot that I can't figure out where she went.
going to hit it a daylight, very surprise to see several cup worth of stomach content behind the hit site. from where she was to my arrow was 10 feet and half way between that the stomach garbage . one hole is high and getting some blood from it and the bottom hole also but have seen no more stomach junk. did find one 1/4 piece of meat.
trying to see if I can get a dog out hear also.
first guy did not want to come out.
can not sleep I hate this part of hunting. this so far is my longest track and also one of the better blood trails I have seen.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

101 - 120 of 149 Posts