Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
341 - 360 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
View attachment 868465
Didn't turn out bad for my first Euro mount.
I only do my heads as Euros. I watched evil dead 2 I guess when I was too young and there's a scene the taxidermy in a cabin attacks Bruce Campbell. Now the scene is pretty funny but I still don't want animal heads in my house.

Looks great Steve!

I've got 3 just chilling right now trying to figure out how to mount them.

I didn't do the brain stew method tho I buried my heads for 10 months.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I only do my heads as Euros. I watched evil dead 2 I guess when I was too young and there's a scene the taxidermy in a cabin attacks Bruce Campbell. Now the scene is pretty funny but I still don't want animal heads in my house.

Looks great Steve!

I've got 3 just chilling right now trying to figure out how to mount them.

I didn't do the brain stew method tho I buried my heads for 10 months.

I do mine the same as your method. When you dig them up what do you use to make yours white? There are several ways I just like to see how everyone else does it. I have 6 or so I have to finish up from the last couple years.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Interesting. I have a head in the freezer I’ve been reluctant to tackle myself.

I was thinking about doing the boiling method.

I’m afraid to bury the head as we have a lot of critters in our backyard. How do you protect it? Do you bury the antlers too?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Administrator
40,932 Posts
Boiling and power wash method worked good for me.

Reactions: QDMAMAN

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
The burying method is super easy. I dig a hole and bury the whole head up to the base of the antlers. Then I put a tote over the antlers and place something heavy on the tote so no animals can get at the antlers. Like Bay I typically leave it buried for about 10 months. After that rinse off with hose and everything is gone.
Interesting. I have a head in the freezer I’ve been reluctant to tackle myself.

I was thinking about doing the boiling method.

I’m afraid to bury the head as we have a lot of critters in our backyard. How do you protect it? Do you bury the antlers too?

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Midday. Big buck. Can’t wait. Wind was perfect today. He came from the swamp behind my stand walking with the wind.

If conditions are like this on Saturday, I have a good shot.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Trunk Wood

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I do mine the same as your method. When you dig them up what do you use to make yours white? There are several ways I just like to see how everyone else does it. I have 6 or so I have to finish up from the last couple years.
I honestly haven't whitened one. Been deliberating how I want to mount these. I think I will do the 40-v peroxide paste method when I do. Apply with brush. Wrap in saran. The 9 in the middle and the 6 I want to mount together. Shot them both 11/12 2018 and 2019 a little less then a mile apart so I kind of remember them for that area together. Also I figure they probably met each other at some point....hope that isn't too morbid. The 8 on the left I shot nowhere near there so I will mount that on its own I just can't decide how. I was going to plaque mount the solo 8 by itself so it's skull capped but did it this way instead and I like it. Kind of inspired me to go euro with the ones after it.
Edit as a btw the 2 8's aren't from anywhere near each other either despite the weird similarity.
Elk Natural material Organism Wood Horn
Wood Material property Font House Lamp

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Those are looking great Bay. For the last few years my processor decided they were no long just going to cut the horns off. You want the horns you get the whole head now. That’s what made me go the euro way. Honestly wish I had all our deer done this way. They look so much better this way and you can do so many different things with the mounts.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I went out grinding again today guys. Read some decent sign on the way out but didn't see a squirrel besides an Elmer Fudd that walked up on me at 8:00 this morning. Sorry I can't give a full effort now due to hunting public and its gun. But I will get another deer down in the next 10 days or so.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Well I think my ego got the best of me.

All day sit on Saturday in honey hole #1. Deer on camera the day before. Strong 20mph in winds in my favor. Saw one deer 5 minutes AFTER legal shooting time ended around 5:40.

All day sit in #2 spot in a popup on Sunday. Zero deer. Ugh.

Buddy saw three does yesterday.

They gave us the slip.

Spot #1 had a buck on camera on Sunday…lulz.

Plant Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant Land lot

Reactions: Sam22

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I have still been hunting. Mostly with my 13 year old son over the holiday weekend. He connected on a spike, awesome hunt. We did a double hang and hunt on my private piece in Antrim county, it was a ton of work for me, but a lot of fun. I strapped a Primos Trigger Stick to one of my lone wolf stands and that was clutch, I would recommend that to anyone trying to get a young person to shoot a deer with a rifle from a hang-on stand.

I have to work, and won't be able to hunt too much coming up. I always look forward to Muzzleloader and I have had some of my best sucess in the last few years that time of year. I also love bowhunting in December, I lost my best spot for that, but I have another good spot luckily.

My big ones have almost all dissappeared, one showed his face a few days ago. I almost always have a big one to hunt through December, I have the winter thermal cover so I have more deer the later it gets.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I learned a long time ago that with deer hunting as soon as you think you have a sure thing the only sure thing is a kick in the balls :)
Yeah, I know. I kill 2-3 deer every year. With COVID and being in Nebraska, I only put in six days in Michigan. I usually put in 15-20 days. I did miss a doe so there’s that.

At least I had two deer in Nebraska, just doesn’t help the team.

I’ll be putting in 2 days for black powder and maybe two more with bow between Christmas and new years.

Reactions: ReeseHunter
341 - 360 of 382 Posts