Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
301 - 320 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
At this point I'm almost regretting not blasting the 4 point at 11:00 yesterday and calling it a season lol. I haven't shot a sparky since like 2003 but man I can relate to guys that want their sausage and jerky deer and to be done.

I don't think I'm gonna hunt for like a week and see if I can shake this funk although Saturday morning does look pretty good. At least I can take the positive that I found a spot to hunt opening morning on selp public where I was comfortable I wasn't gonna get shot and felt I had a decent chance of seeing some deer. I hunted opening morning last year out of the same parking spot but only hunted 80 yards from my truck. Then only one other guy parked by me and he was back to his truck by 930 so this year I went ahead and went in deep. It's a pretty well hidden and secluded access that never sees much pressure. I've saw guys hunting back by where I park that park their trucks 1/4 mile back down the 2 track because the road is so rough and overgrown.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
31,840 Posts
Reactions: Sam22

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Slim Pickens in Nebraska. Lots of does. Decided on day 5 and not seeing a buck since Saturday to take this guy. First mule deer. Not a trophy but filled my tag. That’s all I care about.

275 yard shot with a 20mph cross wind.

Hunting Plant Tree Military camouflage Grass

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Slim Pickens in Nebraska. Lots of does. Decided on day 5 and not seeing a buck since Saturday to take this guy. First mule deer. Not a trophy but filled my tag. That’s all I care about.

View attachment 867074

Nice shot! The fun I'm sure was in the adventure as much as the kill. Never easy starting from scratch in a new spot and trying to get on animals. 5 days from arrival to a kill is solid work!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

View attachment 867074

Good going! That's a long shot w wind to boot. What caliber?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Thought today's 8pt was a little more better than he is, but I'm smiling. In shack I built this spring, looked thru shooting lane I cut to established plot and there he is at 7:45 moseying thru broadside alone. Crosses lane and heads to river, if he goes left he's safe, he goes right. But not on top of berm, at the bottom in more cover. Have the gun on bipod, scope dialed up, watching him pick his way along. I'm waiting at a shooting lane and go for high shoulder and down he went at 100 yds. Didn't want him crossing river. Having him mounted cause 2nd buck should be worthy (whether this one is or not) I passed everything last year including one almost as good as this w bow. Will still get out a time or two w bow and try and fill a doe tag, not that I need more meat.
Plant Wood Motor vehicle Tree Natural material

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Good going! That's a long shot w wind to boot. What caliber?
300 winmag. It’s shoots sub MOA. Have a 4-12x40 on it. I’m confident out to 400 yards knowing my dope (drop and drift). Rifle can shoot much further but optic’s really limit it for now.

Reactions: pgpn123

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Thought today's 8pt was a little more better than he is, but I'm smiling. In shack I built this spring, looked thru shooting lane I cut to established plot and there he is at 7:45 moseying thru broadside alone. Crosses lane and heads to river, if he goes left he's safe, he goes right. But not on top of berm, at the bottom in more cover. Have the gun on bipod, scope dialed up, watching him pick his way along. I'm waiting at a shooting lane and go for high shoulder and down he went at 100 yds. Didn't want him crossing river. Having him mounted cause 2nd buck should be worthy (whether this one is or not) I passed everything last year including one almost as good as this w bow. Will still get out a time or two w bow and try and fill a doe tag, not that I need more meat.
View attachment 867204
That’s a nice buck!

Can’t wait to get home. This heavy hitter showed up on camera.

Plant Snow Nature Deer Natural environment

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Awesome buck ppgn. What a first couple days of gun season for you. After this weekend I’m going on doe patrol. I love late season. I normally get some guys out that don’t have much and let them shoot a doe for some food. I could just shoot it myself but I know it’s more rewarding for them if they shoot it.

301 - 320 of 382 Posts