Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm out on my private 30 in Manistee County this morning. Hunt primarily archery. Lots of buck on the tacta cams so far. Hope to connect for the team. Food plots are iffy in spots due to lack of rain. Mast crop sucks.

Reactions: Sam22 and Baybum

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
I scored last night guys. 6 more for the team. Had a very eventful day. Morning started slow but around 9am a real nice 10 came into the food plot from the right. He was actually eating acorns. Offering no shot.

Went back out about 4. Wasn't very long before I had a spike come in and hit the rye hard. He ate for a long time and bedded down in the plot. Later a small 4, a 3, and another spike came into the plot along with several does. The bucks proceeded to spar with two pairs going at it at once.

I think the sound of sparring brought this buck in to show them who was boss. He came in, put his head down to eat rye broadside and I let him have it.

Didn't go far. 13 more for the good guys.

· Administrator
40,990 Posts

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
I scored last night guys. 6 more for the team. Had a very eventful day. Morning started slow but around 9am a real nice 10 came into the food plot from the right. He was actually eating acorns. Offering no shot.

Went back out about 4. Wasn't very long before I had a spike come in and hit the rye hard. He ate for a long time and bedded down in the plot. Later a small 4, a 3, and another spike came into the plot along with several does. The bucks proceeded to spar with two pairs going at it at once.

I think the sound of sparring brought this buck in to show them who was boss. He came in, put his head down to eat rye broadside and I let him have it.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass People in nature

Here is my buck just minutes before his demise.

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
So, we got out to camp on Friday, and I beat the fam by a few hours so had a quick sit and got skunked. They got in late and I was way too tired to hunt Sat. AM although it was a good wind for my set. I dont need too much reason to skip morning sits...I just struggle getting in and bumping deer and all that jazz...so..its.easy for me to make am excuse.

Prepped camp for rutcation all day Saturday expecting more of a northern wind than we had. I've still been trying to sight in the new crossbow for me and one for the kids and finally felt comfortable with it dialed in at 30 yards and a broadhead using the Evo x fixed blade montec and pro elite 400 on the turbo s1. Everyone else had started leaving camp to go sit and my wife was getting anxious thinking that I was not leaving in time but my plan was still to sit a specific tree for the wind I had been thinking of all day I got on the road finally and saw the wind was not doing what I wanted it to do.

So I hurried up and changed my set for a different location where it was just right for the wind in a small margin of shooting Lanes and any subtle changes in deer would be walking right into my scent cone in front of me so my left and my right lanes were wide open from the rear with me facing the field.

I put a tripod stand up in this field a few years ago because there's no hangable trees and it's hard to see from the ground it is a cornfield with lots of flooded swaths of tall grass that the deer love to use for cover. I was focused on my right shooting Lane where the does like to come out of the beds.

Right around 6:45 I heard what appeared to be deer walking through the brush and heavier footsteps in the swamp mud along with some subtle grunting that I kept mistaking from birds but felt like it was deer. After having struggled with the wind turbines putting me to sleep several times I was wide awake at this point and the blessing of the tripod is that you can alternate very silently from one angle to the other and I have put on a canopy to mask foot and body movements.

At around 7:30 I see my deer poke his head out from the tree line to my left and behind me. The rack was so tall for my vantage point it looked like a really thin 6 with brow tines meeting the 8-point criteria we have. Has he stepped out further he walked right over my walk in path and I saw that he was much bigger and wider than I first suspected. At no point did he act alarmed but he definitely was on a mission and he stopped to look around for a short bit then started to back on a trot. A 4pt Forky wasnt far behind him.

At this point I had not necessarily arranged that side of the farm but had a good notion that it was 35 yards where he was standing and he was moving quartering away at a slow trot. My experience with bleating at deer has never ended well and they usually bolt off faster than I can react so I just let it rip with a small lead on him.

Entrance wound into the liver area and out the front behind the left shoulder blowing out the lungs right along with the liver. He ran through the grass bounding away with his tail up about 70 yd turn the corner and though I didn't hear him crash into the corner and I didn't know that the grass had grown up through there as well so it was very silent afterward. The wait was about 15 minutes and climb down to go check the bolt. There wasn't huge amounts of blood but enough to follow and the rest of the story is a recovered buck about a hundred yards away!

After looking further at scoring regs, he has 10 scoreable points.

10pt Buck. 160lbs Dressed. 18" outside spread. 10.8.22 Hillsdale, County.

Big thanks to my pal bad Jedi for the photos.

17pts for the good guys.

View attachment 858977 View attachment 858978 View attachment 858979 View attachment 858980 View attachment 858981
Nice work.

Reactions: thegospelisgood

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Great buck TGIG and thanks for posting the story!

I have only hunted a few times. I have only seen one small buck while on stand, and plenty of does. Seems like the October Lull has set in around here. I have been scouting public land a fair amount, but nothing too exciting has popped up yet. I still have a few trail cameras to set, so I will be doing that in my free time.

Do you guys have Sitka outfits? I am thinking about buying one this week, wondering if it's really worth it, or is it all a bunch of hype.
No Sitka for me. I do have some good old fashioned camo wool that is my favorite to wear.

Reactions: Sam22

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Dang nobody took advantage of the cold front huh? From posts on ms and fb last weekend was pretty solid hunting all over. This weekend looks like fishing weather. I'm probably going to have to work Saturday anyways, hopefully just the morning. Too wet I will probably be a little over a half day behind after this mornings rain and I booked a ton of work for this week and next in preparation for taking the 4th through the 15th of November off.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Wish I could have gone today. Have to wait till the weekend and it doesn't look good for hunting.

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
I think we are the early frontrunner after reese's deer gets added. Realistically tho we are only a little more then a quarter of the way home if you figure 140 points will win. We need 7 hunters with 2 deer each.

Gotta knock down those archery does.

I'm working on getting another.

Reactions: Baybum

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Shot an 8 point boys. More details in the morning. Hope this keeps us up in the standings.

Reactions: pgpn123

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Well crap, we are close to the top. Just need a few deer to put us over the top.

Reactions: Sam22

· Administrator
40,990 Posts
Eh I didn't see a hair. The rest of gun is sure to be a grind without any acorns to key on. Best I can figure is they are just browsing on the little bit of green leafy vegetation still up. I will likely get out Sunday afternoon and maybe at some point Friday. I expect Friday will be a pretty busy day in the woods.

Once 1st gun is done if I haven't popped something I am gonna fan out and do some searching.

I still have a few cameras out and am watching the deer and for the life of me I can't figure out what they are eating right now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts