Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Ok, let's R&R! Adios to them other sumbeeches :cool:

My name's Joe, mostly hunt the 40 I live on in Jackson. Newly retired, I might hunt some public not very far away. Have a spot where several bucks have crossed the road over a period of time. Don't want to leave my truck parked, never seen anyone else there. I'll figure something out.
I hope to bump into one of these at home.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot Biome
Plant Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant Biome

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Walked some public the other day. Stalked a really big oak. Lots of bedding under it, not that there'd be daylight movement come season. Some thick strips of woods around it.

Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Branch

New tree getting attention right away. Put a cam up, mostly does so far but promising. All plots got overseeded w rye yesterday in time for rain these next couple days.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Land lot Tree

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Sent the video @ReeseHunter

Here is a dillema you guys might help me with.

Like I have said, I am spoiled I can hunt quite a bit of private land. The pieces around my house should hold nice bucks and sometimes do. I also scout lots of public. Most years I get pics of the biggest deer on public land. Would you switch your focus from the private you have and manage to hunt public because you get pics of bigger deer on public? Not consistently getting pics, just here and there.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
For me it's about human intrusion. If you've got a spot next to cover, or a pinch point/bottleneck, or even a food source that sees little to no human traffic, it's as good as private. It doesn't have to be either/or does it? 1 sit/first sit a year is often the ticket. The more places the better, everytime you hunt here gives there a rest.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
I hear you and I have LOTS of good spots, and plenty of evidence of decent bucks. I started really hardcore scouting public probably 4 years ago, I put lots of pins on my GPS programs and save them all. I worry that I might shoot myself in the foot by spreading out my efforts so much, I leave my private pieces alone maybe too much. I bet I only hunted 4 or 5 times on each of my local spots. Ones is 180 acres I share with 2 other guys, one is a 40 I share with a guy who only gun hunts and only goes like 5 times a year.

I did GIS in school by the way, if anyone wants a cool map of their property I can probably do it. I have done them for other team memebers over the years.
Good problem to have. If there's a bad am/pm wind for most stands, go then. Or burn early season time.

Is your GIS different than the county GIS?

· Registered
3,805 Posts
I'll have to go out Saturday, not sure of am or pm. It's here!
Walked some different public yesterday, no ag nearby but surprised not to see any stands at all. Not a lot of sign, so maybe it's related, lol. Lot of oaks and pot hole swamp cover. Need to scope out after leaves are down.
Little clover plot I reseeded a few weeks ago w a rye nurse crop. Closest stand is 60 yds through cover.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Agriculture

· Registered
3,805 Posts
What's that on her shoulder Bay?

I went out this morning, saw a couple at first light, think they were this years. Must have missed mom. First drill in the dark wasn't too bad, room for improvement, lol. My new hearing aids are gonna help on stand. Mostly need them for conversation in crowded places, but do hear better overall.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
I've got a pic of right when I walked up on her and that's not on her shoulder in the 1st pic so must've been from the drag.

I'm back at it boys in lapeer county now. I think I'll be strictly buck rest of weekend but I did pick up another antlerless on the way out here.....

I can't post pics I take on my phone. The one I posted my buddy took then sent it to me idk.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Gotcha, I wore off a lot of fur with the quad. Now I put it in a sled.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Went back in this morning found some more blood my conclusion is that I hit her in the paunch under the gut bounced off the ground seems like it may have nicked her in the gut either way it was very bright red blood... then nothing.
Always sucks not to make the best shot but you did the right thing, track dog the whole 9 yards.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Great buck TGIG and thanks for posting the story!

I have only hunted a few times. I have only seen one small buck while on stand, and plenty of does. Seems like the October Lull has set in around here. I have been scouting public land a fair amount, but nothing too exciting has popped up yet. I still have a few trail cameras to set, so I will be doing that in my free time.

Do you guys have Sitka outfits? I am thinking about buying one this week, wondering if it's really worth it, or is it all a bunch of hype.
Came this close to getting Fanatic jacket. Warm no doubt. Pouch a little low for me and no hood. Still layering. Have the hand muff, very nice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts