Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sorry about your brother Horseshoe.

Gun season has been pretty slow so far. I've seen tons of yearlings and a 2 year old or two but nothing big. I keep putting off whacking the does but that's about over. My wife is starting to bug me to bring home some more venison. Can't say no to a lady asking for meat!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother.

Awesome buck!
Buddy got one of our target bucks this morning. I should have been out there, but I had my brother over for dinner and sat up til 1AM listening to music with him. Didn't mention it earlier, but one of my other brothers passed away 3 weeks ago. It was nice spending some time with my brother Jon last night. Appreciate every chance I get.
Anyway, here is buck my buddy whacked today.

View attachment 799821

Reactions: Horseshoe

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Well I am finally on the board. Been a bad season for me but I managed 2 doe tonight.

My property in Jackson County flooded. Haven't had a picture of a nice buck since the 22 of October. Did jump a nice one bedded on mine while tracking the neighbors deer but I have seen him since.

The farm has a bunch of deer and a big buck that I had at 70 yards in October twice. But my father harvested and tilled the fields surrounding the woods and the deer left and went to the river flats with an alfalfa field. We own it but my uncle hunts it.

First 2 days of rifle season I had a total of 2 fawns come out of the woods I hunt. I saw 18 in the alfalfa my uncle hunts. He said there were at least 22 and some on the back end of a tilled corn field.

This week as they got pressured else where, the did come back and I was seeing 8 or more a sit come out of my woods.

Tonight my uncle didn't go so I sat his spot. 19 doe and a spike horn came out. Killed 2 big doe. Good night.

Congrats to everyone who got one. I wish I could see the pics but I can't on the app.
Flash photography Human leg Elbow Fish products Meat
Musician Concert Music Artist Musical instrument accessory

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
View attachment 800056 View attachment 800057

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Congratulations on the two Doe. Sounds like a fun hunt.

I am heading out tomorrow to do another still hunting scouting expedition and if I don’t get anything doing that I’ll pick a stand site for the last couple hours of the night.
Well I am finally on the board. Been a bad season for me but I managed 2 doe tonight.

My property in Jackson County flooded. Haven't had a picture of a nice buck since the 22 of October. Did jump a nice one bedded on mine while tracking the neighbors deer but I have seen him since.

The farm has a bunch of deer and a big buck that I had at 70 yards in October twice. But my father harvested and tilled the fields surrounding the woods and the deer left and went to the river flats with an alfalfa field. We own it but my uncle hunts it.

First 2 days of rifle season I had a total of 2 fawns come out of the woods I hunt. I saw 18 in the alfalfa my uncle hunts. He said there were at least 22 and some on the back end of a tilled corn field.

This week as they got pressured else where, the did come back and I was seeing 8 or more a sit come out of my woods.

Tonight my uncle didn't go so I sat his spot. 19 doe and a spike horn came out. Killed 2 big doe. Good night.

Congrats to everyone who got one. I wish I could see the pics but I can't on the app. View attachment 800053 View attachment 800055

Reactions: Horseshoe

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Good job Cameron! Nice does for the freezer. Be sure to get pics that include the tag, I do see it on the one in the last picture.

I went out last night. Had a good sit. Saw 4 different bucks but they were all youngsters. A narrow 8 point may have been a 2 year old, but nothing close to what we are after on the property. Neighbor guy driving by right after hours said he saw a monster follow a doe into our woodlot as he was driving by. Too bad none of us are able to hunt for a while. This holiday weekend we will be out there again.

Reactions: QDMAMAN

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

Congrats to everyone who got one. I wish I could see the pics but I can't on the app. View attachment 800053 View attachment 800055

Did you tenderize that doe by running over it with a SxS? :LOL: I've never seen tread marks on a deer before.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Gave it a whirl after work last night. Had a nice bunch of deer come out onto the field before dark, just nothing I wanted to shoot. I know there are still some big bucks in the neighborhood. Hoping these standing beans pull in more deer as the weather gets colder.

Brown Plant Ecoregion Tree Sky

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Gave it a whirl after work last night. Had a nice bunch of deer come out onto the field before dark, just nothing I wanted to shoot. I know there are still some big bucks in the neighborhood. Hoping these standing beans pull in more deer as the weather gets colder.

View attachment 800472
If those are up once it snows in muzzloader, you will kill a nice buck there if it isn't too pressured. Standing beans in snow is practically cheating.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Not too optimistic on snow and cold. I see 50 degrees late next week. But it seems like we are seeing more deer every time we go out, so it's trending the right direction.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I shot a doe with a gun today. Are we allowed to upgrade does from a gun kill to a bow kill? I am waiting to post up my picture in the scoring thread until I know that. I might still shoot one with a bow later in the year...here is my picture in case I get banned or something and can't post it down the road in the scoring thread 🤣
Plant Smile Grass Tree Groundcover

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Congrats on the deer, Sweet!

I’m not sure about that upgrade question, but once you post 2 deer you’re done according to QDMAMAN When I messaged him about that very question. So be careful, and message him about any specific questions.
I shot a doe with a gun today. Are we allowed to upgrade does from a gun kill to a bow kill? I am waiting to post up my picture in the scoring thread until I know that. I might still shoot one with a bow later in the year...here is my picture in case I get banned or something and can't post it down the road in the scoring thread 🤣 View attachment 800868

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
If you post now that's it. Can't upgrade later. That's why I haven't posted mine either. Can only post 2 deer total.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Had a very fun sit this evening, after getting the skunk in the morning. I tried hunting the woods where I figured some deer might filter through out of the beans. Big zilcho! Went out to edge of bean field this evening. They weren't all in range, but probably saw 20 deer which is always fun. Had 3 young bucks come out together at 30 yards and browse for a good 15 minutes. 1 horn spiker came out later. Bunch of does n fawns toward the middle of the field.
Deer Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Plant
Fluid Liquid Automotive tire Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You can score of the second buck of yours as a doe in the contest. Just have to have the proper picture.
Keep after em guys. I’m likely done for the year with two bucks in the freezer. But would oblige a donation doe if necessary for the points

141 - 160 of 181 Posts