Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
You guys are picking up my slack! Nice job on the buck Ireigler!

Made it out Sunday evening for another sit. All I saw was the same busted off 6 (3pt). Tried the decoy set out, thinking I might be able to draw one of the big bucks out of the cover. At least it was a beautiful evening to be out in the great outdoors!

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Tree

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
rough weekend.. I passed a nice 2.5 year old 8 at 10 yards. hope he makes it, anyway yesterday morning at first light I had my target buck at 15 yards on the ground. I tucked into the tree line and hit my grunt. When he was just about to step out of the Woodline I drew. he saw me and spooked... Hindsight I should've waited to draw when he was already clear of the trees.. Heart pounding stuff though.. two hours later get a pic from the neighbor. He's dead... Damnit. Was definitely the biggest buck on the farm that I knew of. Then move some cameras to a different area of the farm and my culvert to cross our drainage ditch is flooded out... A BEAVER is taking down basketball size trees.. Now I've got to learn to trap beaver.. If you need me I'll be watching Conibear videos on youtube.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have been absent. I hunted last weekend in Arenac County. Never saw my big buck. A lot of deer but not him.

My house flooded and ate up 80% of the bedding. The deer finally started to move back in last weekend. I sat last Thursday and never saw a deer. That has never happened during bow season.

Sat in my hay mow to observe Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday Saw a 4 pt and 2 yo remnants of an 8 pt that broke all his tines off. Both came in range but got a pass.

Wednesday I passed a spike, 4 pt and a 2 yo 7pt. The neighbor shot the seven point. I helped him track it that night. We went about 700 yards and the flash lights went dead. He couldn't come out yesterday so with rain coming I went out in the morning to track. Right where we stopped he entered about shin deep water. I slowly worked my way through it for 200 yds. Picking up blood only on brush and branches about 20 yards apart. Slowly checking every trail. I finally got to where he left my swamp and crossed the road. There were several quarter size drops on the road and up the steep oak ridge on the other side. At that point the neighbor got there. We got permission to track across the road. Once on the oak ridge, the leaves falling at an alarming rate made blood trailing impossible. We look for an hour in all directions and never found any more blood. I grid search the hole 100 arces with has mostly shin high grass field with red cedar thickets and only 5 acre swamp. I looked at like 400 different beds and no blood in any of them. Sucks to blow out your swamp and not even find the deer.

On a side note. While tracking, I heard a deer get up and I got down. I saw a 140" buck looking at me at 35 yards. He stood there for 3 minutes then trotted off. With the rain yesterday, hopefully my scent is gone and he will come back. I looked at his bed to make sure the neighbor didn't shoot that one. No blood.

I am going to hunt the stands for that bedding area tonight and in the morning. We will see if it is blown out or if the deer came back.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I gave it one last shot with the x bow last evening. No love! Getting all my stuff ready for tomorrow. Will be putting in all day sits Monday and Tuesday. My trigger finger is getting itchy and I'm still sitting on 5 tags.
Good luck tomorrow men!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I hunted 5 of the last seven days really hard, and I did most of today. I’ve seen deer 18 out of 25 sets. I could only get the one deer down, one of my best seasons ever on public land for sure. I’m likely done. I’d love to sit tomorrow, but I am burned out big-time. I might go out one day during gun season after Thanksgiving.
Couple of my last stand sites!

Brown Twig Wood Natural landscape Trunk

Had an inch of fresh snow so I went to tracking today to see if there was any bucks moving, and this track went into the section that I ended up on time. Cut 100 tracks at least, but this was by far the biggest.
Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Wood Soil

I went to the other side of the state where the point restrictions have been in place for a while to see if I can get out of big Buck, there was no wind so I walked up the creek, found some pretty good buck sign and set up on it in the middle of the creek! Saw four deer, no bucks.
Plant Water Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I hunted 5 of the last seven days really hard, and I did most of today. I’ve seen deer 18 out of 25 sets. I could only get the one deer down, one of my best seasons ever on public land for sure. I’m likely done. I’d love to sit tomorrow, but I am burned out big-time. I might go out one day during gun season after Thanksgiving.
Couple of my last stand sites!

View attachment 798651

Had an inch of fresh snow so I went to tracking today to see if there was any bucks moving, and this track went into the section that I ended up on time. Cut 100 tracks at least, but this was by far the biggest.
View attachment 798652

I went to the other side of the state where the point restrictions have been in place for a while to see if I can get out of big Buck, there was no wind so I walked up the creek, found some pretty good buck sign and set up on it in the middle of the creek! Saw four deer, no bucks.
View attachment 798654
You don't hunt in December at all? I saw more bucks in December of last year than November. It can be great hunting.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Maybe once. Don’t enjoy the cold anymore, body can’t take it anymore to be honest. We get some mild weather, then I might go, we’ll see. If I had a nice cozy deer blind with a heater to sit in, then I’d be all for it. But I don’t!
You don't hunt in December at all? I saw more bucks in December of last year than November. It can be great hunting.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
2 more for the shamers. I had a crack at what would have been my best buck yesterday. I failed on the execution however.
Shot 2 antlerless today. Unfortunately one turned out to be a button. He'll be good in the pot.
Plant People in nature Grass Farmer Groundcover

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like an exciting couple of days. I actually got out today with my gun for the first time in quite a while. Thought I was done for the year, but I got all motivated today lol

Did you take them with your gun or a bow?
2 more for the shamers. I had a crack at what would have been my best buck yesterday. I failed on the execution however.
Shot 2 antlerless today. Unfortunately one turned out to be a button. He'll be good in the pot. View attachment 798968

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Good luck to any of you guys heading out this weekend, hunting the last three days only seen a handful of does. I'll be in the woods Monday and Wednesday this upcoming week, probably going to take the next doe I see as the Ice fishing season will be upon us before we know it !!!

Reminder guys Successful Hunter's Pics need weapon of choice displayed in photo along with your harvest ...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Some of you guys posting pics, your link says view attachments..? When I click on these I don't seen anything..?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
From what I've been seeing on the forum, the guys using the app on their phones can't see any pics. I just go through my regular internet browser and you can see everyone's pictures just fine. If you're using the app, that probably the problem.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
After being inspired by a good friend who is dying of cancer who shot a 13 Pointer on the 14th, I’ve gone out hunting a few times this week. The good news is I got another deer down this afternoon. The bad news is, I went out hunting yesterday, kind of a still hunting scouting expedition with my 350 legend. After a few hours of walking bedding and transition areas near the Swamp and Marsh, I heard some crashing coming through the swamp! So I set up really quick and two does came charging out and when they get to 25 yards they stopped and I had a perfect broadside shot on the bigger front Doe. Click…misfire! I quickly wracked in another round but they were already running away, I let off a shot on the lead doe, but I missed. Since they were running through the swamp I just assumed the buck was in hot pursuit, so I found a little bit better spot with a couple of nice shooting lanes, settled in. In about five minutes later he came cruising up and I was already to take the shot in my shooting lane, but he never materialized. After several minutes I went and checked and there was a little ridge right there that he had gone down.

So I was totally bummed out that I just missed the Doe at point blank range because of a misfire, and then I didn’t get a shot off on the buck because of the ridge. but to be honest, I kind of dismissed the misfire, just assuming it was a fluke.

I continued scouting and I decided to go sit the final couple hours of the evening over a spot that I sat on the 14th, which I thought was gonna be my last night of hunting at the time, so I went in and took the bedding area and discovered a big scrape line with a bunch of doe crossings on the 14th. I went and set up where I had about a 75 yard shot either way, and after being there five minutes A big old 10 pointer came busting through the Thicket and stopped broadside right in my shooting lane at 25 yards! I pulled the trigger and you guessed it, misfire! I wracked another one in and tried to get a shot on him but he bugged out as I was racking in the round. I had four chances at this same buck this year, and I finally thought I had him dead and he got away again. He’s an absolute monster. A friend of mine has property nearby, and he’s got pictures of him gotta go 150 maybe more. Just another story to put in the books.

Thank goodness I dusted the doe this evening, having those two misfires on deer inside 25 yards that were standing still broadside was about enough to drive me insane last night and today. I already got her completely off the bone and in the refrigerator.

Smile Flash photography People in nature Happy Working animal

Road surface Gas Tints and shades Midnight Asphalt

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Buddy got one of our target bucks this morning. I should have been out there, but I had my brother over for dinner and sat up til 1AM listening to music with him. Didn't mention it earlier, but one of my other brothers passed away 3 weeks ago. It was nice spending some time with my brother Jon last night. Appreciate every chance I get.
Anyway, here is buck my buddy whacked today.

Hunting Deer hunting Plant Trophy hunting Vertebrate

121 - 140 of 181 Posts